cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smaller Propane Tanks

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Any issues ditching the 40lb tanks and going with 20lb on an RV, other than how to mount them? I've gotten a year out 40lbs before. I don't use them for heating and its just a LOT more convenient to do an exchange at the grocery store than hunt down a fueling station.
31 REPLIES 31

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have propane at the stick house so my grill is plumbed into that. No cylinders to refill (well, there are two 400L cylinders but the truck comes to fill them).

For my 5er, I have two 30lb tanks. Both have "aged out" (RV is 11 years old) so I have the extra expense of new tanks. That's one thing you don't have to worry about when you go on an exchange program. We RV in the winter and for the few weeks it's cool in the south, we use about one tank a week.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Just note, as some others have mentioned sometimes exchange cylinders have valve issues.. I keep a spare one for the gas grill in a shed away from the house, I had one that must have had a slow leak I didn't notice and went to use it and it was 100% empty! It had the exchange seal intact but the cylinder felt light and no gas to the grill.

Yes, sir! I was a little scared to mention it but I do have three exchange tanks at home for the grills, griddle and disc burner. I'm a little too familiar with valve issues. The good news is I always carry one with me when I go camping, so I should have a spare.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Samsonsworld wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

20 lb propane cylinder holds about 4.7 gallons of propane.

Propane weighs about 4.2 lbs per gallon

pretty much all cylinder exchanges (you bring empty and exchange it for a loaded cylinder) short load the cylinders with about 15 lbs of propane or about 3.5 gallons of propane.

In the case of the price of $19.99 that is $5.71 per gallon you are paying for the convenience of grab and go..

If you went to a propane dealer that fills your cylinder while you wait and you were to pay $19.99 you would get 4.7 gallons of propane at $4.25 per gallon!

But I think $19.99 for exchange is a bit low, current price locally for Blue Rhino cylinders near me is $21 for 15 lbs..

Been quite a few yrs ago when I needed to refill my 30 lbs cylinders, cost me less than $19 for full 30 lbs (about 7 gallons) although I am sure it is a bit more now days.

If you are OK paying more for convenience and don't mind only getting 15 lbs then use the cylinder exchanges.

I found your post pretty insightful and appreciate the information.

Guys, I don't look to spend more money than I have to but I also don't look to spend more of my time. There is a trade off. By my calculations, its roughly $7 more per tank to exchange when you correct the volume. I'll use 3 tanks per year, tops. That's not much money and saves me a LOT of time considering I'm at the grocery store every week anyway.

Sheesh! I didn't know I was starting a controversial topic!

As you said, there is some "trade offs".

Nothing wrong with using a cylinder exchange as long as you are aware of the trade offs.

I have done both ways, my RV cylinders are 30 lb and my gas grill has 20 lb cylinders. Exchanges don't deal with 30 lb or higher cylinders so I get those filled at a hardware store that sells bulk propane.

Gas grill, I have two 20 lb cylinders and when the OPD valve requirement went into effect yrs ago it was much lower cost to pay the cost at an exchange place for cylinders with OPD than it was to have new valves put in and recertified or buy new ones with OPD valves.

The exchanges take care of the recertifications and most will slap a fresh coat of paint on them when needed.

Most exchanges are at retailers like gas stations, grocery stores which have hrs after 4 PM and open on weekends. Most bulk propane dealers do not have hrs after 4-5PM and no weekend hrs..

Just note, as some others have mentioned sometimes exchange cylinders have valve issues.. I keep a spare one for the gas grill in a shed away from the house, I had one that must have had a slow leak I didn't notice and went to use it and it was 100% empty! It had the exchange seal intact but the cylinder felt light and no gas to the grill.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

pretty much all cylinder exchanges (you bring empty and exchange it for a loaded cylinder) short load the cylinders with about 15 lbs of propane or about 3.5 gallons of propane.

In the case of the price of $19.99 that is $5.71 per gallon you are paying for the convenience of grab and go..

If you went to a propane dealer that fills your cylinder while you wait and you were to pay $19.99 you would get 4.7 gallons of propane at $4.25 per gallon!

But I think $19.99 for exchange is a bit low, current price locally for Blue Rhino cylinders near me is $21 for 15 lbs..

Been quite a few yrs ago when I needed to refill my 30 lbs cylinders, cost me less than $19 for full 30 lbs (about 7 gallons) although I am sure it is a bit more now days.

If you are OK paying more for convenience and don't mind only getting 15 lbs then use the cylinder exchanges.

I found your post pretty insightful and appreciate the information.

Guys, I don't look to spend more money than I have to but I also don't look to spend more of my time. There is a trade off. By my calculations, its roughly $7 more per tank to exchange when you correct the volume. I'll use 3 tanks per year, tops. That's not much money and saves me a LOT of time considering I'm at the grocery store every week anyway.

Sheesh! I didn't know I was starting a controversial topic!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Only issues are
Re doing the hold downs (should not be an issue at all)
More frequent refilling of the tank.

Advantage.. Half the weight to lift and carry and pull.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use exchanges when my backup (former grill) tanks expire as it's cheaper than recertifying a tank. I also had to do a swap when all the retail refill places near me were out of propane a few years ago, it was cheaper to do a swap than drive 20+ miles to get a refill.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I go to the local U-Haul rental shop to get my tanks filled. Last time they charged me $18 to FILL my empty tank. They set their scale according to the empty weight of the tank and fill it to 20 pounds. The exchange places are charging $20 too $25 for 15 pounds of gas.
My tanks are also like new and I know that they work. I will top off my tanks when I find a place that fill them, I don't wait until I am empty.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent points, ski and 2oldman.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
The only issue I've had with them is often the tanks are quite old, and I assume the valves are too.

Yep - You're never sure if the tank they just gave you is going to actually work.

I've had a couple that were leakers whenever they were hooked up for use.

My own tanks are like-new, in perfect condition - Which is why I won't exchange them.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grocery store exchanges are easier but very expensive IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Samsonsworld wrote:
What are you paying per gallon? $19.99 for an exchange doesn't seem that bad to me.

Bout half that much...
I'll grab a refill for convenience or to get rid of an old tank occasionally, just like I'll pay a premium for fuel out of necessity or convenience, but I don't go looking to pay 2x as much for just about anything I buy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Samsonsworld wrote:
What are you paying per gallon? $19.99 for an exchange doesn't seem that bad to me.
And convenient. I went to the smaller tanks simply because of the weight.

The only issue I've had with them is often the tanks are quite old, and I assume the valves are too. I've had a few problems with how tricky it is to get the valves to open. On occasion I've had to use a screwdriver on the relief screw to relieve pressure to get the valve to work.

That said, if a refiller overfills them, same problem.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Samsonsworld wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Our latest rig came with #20 tanks. At first we were concerned but honestly, we typically get 6-8 weeks out of a tank (more in the summer when it's only for cooking). When empty, we typically switch to the 2nd tank and start keeping an eye out for a fill station. No real rush.

Honestly, prefer to have them filled rather than exchanged as you get more propane for less cost but it's not a huge issue. Maybe $20/yr overall cost difference.

One nice thing with the #20 tanks is if the fill station gives you a hassle over the tank age, just do an exchange, checking that the new tank has a few years left on the certification.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer