cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snake!!!

tomdinwv
Explorer
Explorer
We went camping Monday thru Thursday at our favorite COE CG here in WV. (East Fork CG at East Lynn Lake) Quite an adventure. Tuesday evening, the wife got a couple of pieces of wood and threw on the fire. She was going back to get more and let out a yell. "Tom, there's a snake in the wood pile!!!". I grabbed my shovel, and went to investigate. I found a not to happy copperhead, coiled up and displeased with my presence. Did I mention he (or she) was NOT HAPPY. I disposed of the snake. In the next 36 hours we were there, we saw several more copperheads and a bunch of snakes in the water swimming that we didn't feel the need to find out what type they were. So just a reminder, in your travels this spring/summer, be careful and watch where you step. In approx 25 or 30 trips to this same CG over the last 5 years, these were the first snake we encountered there. Remember, we are encroaching into their territory when we venture into some of these nicely wooded CGs.
71 REPLIES 71

Artemus_Gordon
Explorer
Explorer
At a park this last week. In the rest room a cute six inch snake had found its way into the facility. Man as wife called out to him, he went inside and picked it up to move it. It was a western diamond back. Bad idea for sure, I hear he might lose three fingers. (multiple bites) Small snakes are just as deadly, if not more so. Please people leave it to Park Management. Watching rattlesnake republic three times does not make one an expert! Where I live you don't move anything outside without looking first! Oh and not all have rattles!
2012 Montana 3750 Hickory Edition, 2013 Ford F450 Crew Cab 4x4 Platinum options

2012 3750 Montana

Generator Box

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
OK !!! Thats it!! After 3 pages it's nothing but 5 star RV resorts from now on !
Places that have "snake police"! Just kidding,but I really don't like snakes.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

bmupton
Explorer
Explorer
Reader1 wrote:
bmupton - I agree with Sea Dog about throwing a snake on someone. It may be "just a little garter snake" but to someone who is terrified, there would be no humor in it. I am glad you were just joking.

Well, they weren't terrified of snakes, just not real fond of them...

I know the boundaries, I just like to play extremely close to them ๐Ÿ˜‰
TT: 2013 Zinger ZT33BH
TV: 1986 6.2 Diesel Chev 3/4 ton van

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
car2900 wrote:
Here is what greeted us the other day in the road in front of our campsite. I didn't know what kind it was or I would not have gotten this close to take the picture. When the ranger came to remove it he said it was a baby cottonmouth. I won't say what park we were in as I don't want to alarm anyone except it was in the Southeast somewhere.

Looks like dinner to any Army Ranger.

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what greeted us the other day in the road in front of our campsite. I didn't know what kind it was or I would not have gotten this close to take the picture. When the ranger came to remove it he said it was a baby cottonmouth. I won't say what park we were in as I don't want to alarm anyone except it was in the Southeast somewhere.

2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our home now is surrounded by woods. The snake that crawled into the garage to shed got my attention. We sprinkled a product called Snake away all around the house but the smell is now gone so doubt it still doing any good. Snake proof boots are on the shopping list. Not too cheap. Keeping gees would help but they can make a mess. Don't need the spring ruined.
Dog catches squirrels and wasps. Eats the wasps. Maybe he can get a few but probably not.
Any secrets on keeping them away from a home like this?

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
abc40kids wrote:

Sorry but if I even think it could be dangerous to me or my family it's getting the shovel...they should be killed every time...

I guess we should kill all deer since they cause car crashes. Bears are extremely dangerous. Coyotes could drag children off into the woods for lunch. Kill em all! Kill em all! :B

I'm not a hunter but I do believe when the deer population gets bad they have controlled hunting outside of regular deer season.

No coyotes or bears in my yard here in Northern Virginia so no worries there but if one was to threaten a family member they would get shot. I've never once seen a mouse in or around my house but if they became a problem they would done away with..... Same with a snake, sorry but don't like snakes so unless I'm 100% sure it's not poisonous it's gonna get the shovel if it won't go away on its own.

Y'all snake lovers can keep them all, even the ones that keep away the mice. They all bite and some are deadly! A poisonous snake should always be a dead snake!

Beemerphile, you've lost your mind! My family over any snake or dangerous animal any time! Watch out for those coyotes and bears in your yard, they won't hurt anyone.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
PenMan wrote:
dbbls wrote:
You do know that killing a snake in most, if not all states, is illegal.

I know this is wrong in NM and would guess it is wrong in about 49 other states.

I wish it were 100% true, but you can legally kill most snakes.

Notice I said "most".

For example, in Texas you cannot kill...

Scarlet Snake (pretty pretty snake)
Black-striped snake (meh)
Smooth Green Snake (we play with them an awful lot tho, good attitude and won't bite the kids)
Timber Rattlesnake <--- !!! (don't play with this one)
Texas Indigo Snake (What a beautiful animal, anybody that would kill is just an ignorant person. Like killing baby bunnies)

Generic picture, but I used to run around with these guys when I was a kid. ...although...technically...I think it is illegal to run around with them. .... so as tempting as it may be to play with him, don't get caught doing it.
Speckled Racer (this guys pretty cool)
Brazos water snake (icky snake,, really icky,,the a-hole of all snakes. and I love snakes.
Pine Snake (meh)

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
You do know that killing a snake in most, if not all states, is illegal.

I know this is wrong in NM and would guess it is wrong in about 49 other states.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Jloucks wrote:
If any of you visit Cedar Hill State Park in Texas, the old farmhouse on the historic Penn Farm holds a secret. There is a rather large rattlesnake den underneath it!! In the spring, you can see a dozen big ole rattler out sunning themselves. The Rangers frown upon poking them with sticks to make them rattle. =P

Hope the kids from Canada "bumpton" talks about don't vacation with their Southern Neighbors in the US at Cedar Hill State Park in Texas and play with the snakes!.:R

~

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Uh, oh...move along, move along...nothing to see here...
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:

Sorry but if I even think it could be dangerous to me or my family it's getting the shovel...they should be killed every time...

I guess we should kill all deer since they cause car crashes. Bears are extremely dangerous. Coyotes could drag children off into the woods for lunch. Kill em all! Kill em all! :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Here in the midwest we are having all kinds of wildlife issues with the flooding and high water everything is moving out of the bottom ground whether it is snakes all the way to deer. I have seen more dead deer along the roads this spring than ever. Just be careful
scott

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
well all you guys who are afraid of snakes, rattle snakes that is, should stay away from the snake river in eastern Oregon. tons of snakes out here and skunks too.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up on a ranch we killed rattlers around the living area. A working cattle dog is worth more than a snake. Rafting the rivers of Idaho I carried a snake hook to deposit the snake in the river in order let the current carry them away from people. The warm beaches we camped on were a big attraction to rattlers in the evening. Lewis and Clark have an entry in the journals about how many rattlers they encountered along the Salmon River.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.