cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snake!!!

tomdinwv
Explorer
Explorer
We went camping Monday thru Thursday at our favorite COE CG here in WV. (East Fork CG at East Lynn Lake) Quite an adventure. Tuesday evening, the wife got a couple of pieces of wood and threw on the fire. She was going back to get more and let out a yell. "Tom, there's a snake in the wood pile!!!". I grabbed my shovel, and went to investigate. I found a not to happy copperhead, coiled up and displeased with my presence. Did I mention he (or she) was NOT HAPPY. I disposed of the snake. In the next 36 hours we were there, we saw several more copperheads and a bunch of snakes in the water swimming that we didn't feel the need to find out what type they were. So just a reminder, in your travels this spring/summer, be careful and watch where you step. In approx 25 or 30 trips to this same CG over the last 5 years, these were the first snake we encountered there. Remember, we are encroaching into their territory when we venture into some of these nicely wooded CGs.
71 REPLIES 71

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
dbbls wrote:
You do know that killing a snake in most, if not all states, is illegal.

Sorry but if I even think it could be dangerous to me or my family it's getting the shovel. I'm no snake expert so a friendly might go down but I'll deal with the mice before I chance my kids getting bit!

Love it when you see rattlers get caught and then released!!! Sorry they should be killed every time! They can only hurt someone....

The mice cause way more damage to us than any rattler will do in a lifetime. We have two types up here in PA, and also have the copperhead. Sitings are 1000:1 non venomous: venomous
It realy ticks me off when fools in PA call a nothern water snake a water moccasin. Idiot flat landers!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
bmupton wrote:
Where we camp there are literally hundreds of garter snakes.

The kids love playing with them, and it's especially awesome when they poop on some unsuspecting person...

Bet you're fun at parties. :E ๐Ÿ™‚

:E

I'm not afraid of snakes, I try to teach everyone to respect them, but hate it when the poop gets on my pants.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Reader1 wrote:
Terrified of ANY snake. Two weeks ago I mulched, looked back to the flower bed and a 2-3 ft. silver snake was there. (DH said garter snake, but he didn't see it. Silver & Gold denote royalty - so it was a King Cobra.) The next day a friend & I rode 20 miles on the Towpath trail. I rode right by a snake coming out on the trail. Later a snake was stretched across the trail. A VERY brave man got to it first and convinced it to leave. Near the end of the ride a snake was coiled near the trail. Everyone thinks they were black harmless snakes - HA! they didn't see them - probably anacondas! Why I love all things outdoors when I hate snakes, I can't figure. I told DH we need to move, sell 5er, bikes, motorcycles, and move to a high rise in the city. DH said with my luck we'd end up w/ neighbors who have pet snakes.

Best chuckle of the day so far
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:

Sorry but if I even think it could be dangerous to me or my family it's getting the shovel. I'm no snake expert so a friendly might go down but I'll deal with the mice before I chance my kids getting bit!

Love it when you see rattlers get caught and then released!!! Sorry they should be killed every time! They can only hurt someone....
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

Fish__n___Grits
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a crow pecking at something in the middle of our road the other day and went over to see what it was doing. It was killing a small rat snake, about 18 in. long. When the snake would raise it's head, the crow would peck it right in the head. the crow finally picked it up and flew away. I'm an old geezer, lived in the country all my life, and I've never seen that before.
Billy & Dale
'99 F350 DRW Superduty
'02 Lance 1161
Salli the "Schnoodle"

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:

No such blanket laws in Washington State or Oregon, though there are a few "protected" species that it's illegal to kill/possess.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
bmupton - I agree with Sea Dog about throwing a snake on someone. It may be "just a little garter snake" but to someone who is terrified, there would be no humor in it. I am glad you were just joking.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We were packing up before sunrise to leave the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I was wearing flip-flops and pouring water into the trailer water tank. I felt something on my bare feet, looked down and pointed my headlight in time to watch a copperhead slither across both feet. I didn't tell my wife until much later because I knew she would freak out, I was right.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Left the garage door open, Monday. About noon son found a shed skin at the door. It had come in and scrubbed off the skin on the garage dooor track.
Looked high and low but no sign. hopefully he went back out. May have to get some geese to watch around here.

bmupton
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Dog wrote:
bmupton wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
bmupton wrote:

The kids love playing with them, and it's especially awesome when they poop on some unsuspecting person...

Is it more fun than a BAby Ruth Candy Bar in the punch bowl at a potluck? Or plastic puke in a pizza box?

I have thrown one on someone that doesn't particularly care for snakes...THAT was fun.

It's fun on a different level that "fake" gross stuff like you're talking.

You throw a snake on me,
You will find out right away how good your
provincial health insurance is!

It's just a little garter snake! ๐Ÿ˜‰
TT: 2013 Zinger ZT33BH
TV: 1986 6.2 Diesel Chev 3/4 ton van

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
bmupton wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
bmupton wrote:

Is it more fun than a BAby Ruth Candy Bar in the punch bowl at a potluck? Or plastic puke in a pizza box?

I have thrown one on someone that doesn't particularly care for snakes...THAT was fun.

You throw a snake on me,
You will find out right away how good your
provincial health insurance is!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this on Facebook. Hope it works!!

All Natural Snake Repellent

Be sure to clear your land of excess debris and to plug or block any and all openings around the base of your home. Also, cover any openings that may remain or be necessary with mesh netting or wire mesh to keep out both snakes and their common prey, mice.

Ingredients
Clove oil
Cinnamon oil

Simply mix a 50:50 mixture of clove and cinnamon oils and spray them around the foundation of your home, dog houses, walkways, garages, doors or anywhere you want to keep snakes away from. remember to share everything so it is saved to your timeline!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

bmupton
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
bmupton wrote:

TT: 2013 Zinger ZT33BH
TV: 1986 6.2 Diesel Chev 3/4 ton van

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
If any of you visit Cedar Hill State Park in Texas, the old farmhouse on the historic Penn Farm holds a secret. There is a rather large rattlesnake den underneath it!! In the spring, you can see a dozen big ole rattler out sunning themselves. The Rangers frown upon poking them with sticks to make them rattle. =P