cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snakes

dbs944
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't been married for a long time but I'm finding out that my wife is terrified of snakes - and getting more so as she gets older. We were at Natural Bridge Va, walking along the wide edged path when some kids coming back said they'd seen some snakes further up the trail. DW stopped there and wouldn't go further, even to reach the actual rock bridge. I walked a mile or so further up and sure enough there was a small snake, 10' off the path minding its own business.

To me, camping is getting away and enjoying nature. So, I've resigned myself that any nature walks or hikes through the woods are probably going to be solo.

If you are really scared of snakes, are you able to push that aside and enjoy where you are? How do you deal with it? If you are the partner that may respect but aren't actually terrified of 'Mr. no shoulders', how do you deal with it?

The other post where someone found a snake in their camper would have resulted in putting a for sale sign on the MOHO and leaving it there.

I'm guessing reasoning (they are more afraid of you than you are of them) isn't going to work.
40 REPLIES 40

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
My phobia is hornets and wasps. How do I deal with it? Typically by running and screaming like a six year old girl. Typically. As in, always.

I don't let it stop me overall tho.

I just plan on doing lots of running and screaming.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Here at home at over 8000ft we seldom see any variety of snake (maybe a garter snake) but out towards the Rio Grande Gorge (now the Rio Grande National Monument) rattlers are frequent in the warmer weather. Grilled rattlesnake meat is delicious!
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not wild about snakes but we live in their territory (Southern California Desert). In 17 yrs. at our home, I've seen three or four rattlers at the house and one king snake. The rattlers want to get away from you asap! The king snakes are not poisonous as they are constrictors.

The only times the snakes come around is when we are not at the house for months at a time. Once we are back home, I think they sense the vibrations and move on. We also have rabbits, scorpions, tarantellas, bobcats, raccoons and black widow spiders. I catch mice in the garage on the glue traps every now and then. You do not want the mice to get in your car engine as they will sharpen their teeth on your wiring.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

VAfan
Explorer
Explorer
I can relate dbs944. The DW is petrified of snakes and if one is around it seems to want to find her. She will go on walks with me but is constantly looking around and will clap her hands if the path gets narrow.
Itโ€™s frustrating but Iโ€™ve learned what the limits are and she tries to push herself. She is getting better as we see more. We had a huge black snake slither through our campsite at First Landing SP while we were sitting under the awning several years ago and we are still going back.
Any serious hiking / biking is done solo while she shopsโ€ฆworks for us.

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
We have a corn snake that is our oldest sons pet since he was 12 and he is now 22. he nolonger lives at home but the snake (betty) still does. I like all non poisenus snakes,I dont mind the rattlers as they have always warned me where they are BUT those DANG copperheads will lay in place and before you see them you are bite. My oldest son and I have both been bite once and it feels like someone injected fire into you. our dogs get bite nearly every year so I kill every copperhead I can find. Snakes in general dont bother me as they have there place in mother nature.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Use a walking stick and hit the brush, snakes are more afraid of you than you are of them. Tell her to be afraid of that which can kill and eat her not a little snake that only wants a way out.

If she encounters a Grizzly Bear tell her she has to outrun the last person in the party.

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
A phobia of snakes is a psychological issus. IF, you want to end it, see a shrink.
In areas where there are few poisonous snakes, I don't pay much attention.
In areas where poisonous snakes could be, I pay close attention, like I do to aligators. Give them a wide berth.
I don't kill stuff for fun if they are just doing their thing AND not attacking me. I swerved to avoid a snake in the road a couple of weeks back.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Read the letters to make the sentence.

A B C D SNAKE?

L M N O SNAKE.

O S A R

O...I C M.

C M E D B D I'S?

O...S! I C M E D B D I's 2.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Don

That looks like a lot of lip smacking gooood fried rattler

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have never been afraid of snakes, but keep a healthy respect for the venomous type. I will by pass a rattlesnake until he gets in my space then I will kill him. Here is one we got in south texas , 5 1/2 footer with 16 rattles.

Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I'm gonna get smacked.
It's a woman thing.

A woman thing? I have zero fear of snakes and I'm a woman. I have known men who fear snakes to the point to refusing to go anywhere they may be.

I've been chased by Black Snakes, Copperheads, Coral Snake, Hoop Snake and one or two others. There is a wide variety of snakes around and most aren't poisonous bu they will try to tell you they are ๐Ÿ™‚

Huh? In all my years of camping and living out here in the boondocks with plenty of snakes of all kinds... I've never once in my life been chased chased by a snake.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
snakes are the most feared thing on the planet. blame it on the garden of eden if you like. I know I don't like them either. I just as soon plug one as look at it.

Plug it for what reason? You enjoy killing something small and helpless? Kill them because of the Eden nonsense? Snakes are part of nature and play their role in the scheme of things. If you don't "like" them you can easily avoid them. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I'm gonna get smacked.
It's a woman thing.
I wasn't scared of snakes until Mom and Grand Ma told me I should be.
Got over it. My son picked up snakes when small. I had to show him which ones to avoid and of course if they come at you; and they will stay away. Some like Rat Snakes stink to high heaven if you get near and other will bite the courn out of you and draw a little blood. Others will let you pick them as if they expect you too. if you are afraid of them then just give them wide berth and they will go on usually. I've been chased by Black Snakes, Copperheads, Coral Snake, Hoop Snake and one or two others. There is a wide variety of snakes around and most aren't poisonous bu they will try to tell you they are ๐Ÿ™‚

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
well we were on a bike ride one time, saw a stuffed snake, when caught waz 88inches long, weight waz round 44lbs, the stuffed snake waz at a out door furniture place on route 11, near Roanoke,va wow what a animal. happy-camping