cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar eclipse

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
on August 21 there will be an eclipse of the sun. it will cover a lot of the USA starting in the Pacific Northwest and ending up on the south east coast. i caution you about looking at the sun during the eclipse. I suggest buying welder's glass to look through. that may be the cheapest thing, unless someone else has a better idea.
17 REPLIES 17

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to Payette Id. my son lives there and luck has it free rent and board. looking forward to it. they make a telescope called coronado and it is for looking at the sun. quite spendy but worth it. fascinating to look at the sunspots

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even cheaper than any of the above is just put a nail,hole in a heavy piece of paper and let the sun image display on another piece of paper behind the pin hole. An added benefit is that the image will be even larger than what a direct viewing would be.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
on August 21 there will be an eclipse of the sun. it will cover a lot of the USA starting in the Pacific Northwest and ending up on the south east coast. i caution you about looking at the sun during the eclipse. I suggest buying welder's glass to look through. that may be the cheapest thing, unless someone else has a better idea.

even cheaper are solar viewing glasses. Orion telescopes has a 5 pack for something like $10. I've used them before and they are IMHO far safer to use than a blank welders glass. One slip and you could have eye damage. Now welding goggles or welding helmet, that would be better.

And if your planning to come to oregon along the total eclipse path and don't have reservations, well, your likely out of luck. Even out of the path and then driving to a full eclipse area may end up being a massive traffic jam. Central oregon around John Day is expecting 30,000 + visitors coming down a narrow two lane highway. Campground reservations sold out in about an hour.

We were able to get a county fairgrounds campsite spot about 9 months ago, and even then few were available and we just got lucky.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!