cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar installation Tax Credit

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
So the solar tax credit can cover everything included in the installalation of solar panels. This includes batteries, however, from what I understand, the batteries need to be charged from the solar panels at least 70 percent of the time. If they're charged from shore power 50 percent of the time, for example, you can no longer receive the tax credit for the cost of the batteries.

How does one accurately monitor this? Estimate?

How would Uncle Sam verify it?

Could I turn off/disconnected the converter so the solar panels charged the batteries, and shore power ran the 110 V system? Would the panels keep the engine battery topped off as well?
18 REPLIES 18

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
I do not want my money to help pay anybody's solar. They can do it on their paycheck.

chevman

Now you are opening a can of worms.....

And -
you and "dave54" are resurrecting a two month old - dead thread..:S

~

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
I do not want my money to help pay anybody's solar. They can do it on their paycheck.

chevman

Now you are opening a can of worms.....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
is your RV your primary residence?
bumpy

Second homes do qualify. Cannot be a rental.

could you steer me to a reference. my tax gal sez no, at least on more efficient ACs,etc.
bumpy

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Second homes do qualify. Cannot be a rental.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you zach477.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather subsidize solar than oil and coal....

In the grand scheme of things there are far worse things that our tax dollars go to, imho, but I didn't start this thread to get into a politcal debate. It's not as if we'll change each other's minds. ๐Ÿ™‚

westend
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:

chevman
I feel the same way about oil depletion allowances and exploration write offs but I don't own any oil wells so you could say I'm biased.

I believe the initiation of alternative energy tax credits and credits for upgrading residential energy saving measures was to make the US less dependent on foreign oil. If anyone took the time to accurately assess this "dependence", it would be shown to be just more smoke and mirrors from those that actually supply and produce our energy, AKA Big Oil.
They have set up this Straw man and reinforced the common belief that the US would be terribly effected by the withdrawal of Mideast crude. To a certain extent it's correct, only in that no new refineries have been built to process lesser grades of oil. It is a big expense. Nearly all of our Alaskan Slope crude goes to Asia and the Pacific rim. It is exchanged for vouchers for Mideast crude, for which Big Oil has refineries in operation. That is where most of this "dependence" lies.
Navigating through tax codes, govt legislation, and the morass of propaganda is not an easy task.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Well Larry, every homeowner that installs energy efficient windows, doors, or even a tankless water heater, gets a similar tax credit and I guess we all help. It's ok with me.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:
zach477 wrote:

Well there is a little known or talked about clause in the tax law that states that each solar panel has to have a data chip that collects charging info as well as a GPS sending unit to send the data to the solar panel control satellite where it is then downloaded to the IRS solar charging computer data base. This data is then compared to your tax return.

Careful, people might believe you.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
zach477 wrote:

Well there is a little known or talked about clause in the tax law that states that each solar panel has to have a data chip that collects charging info as well as a GPS sending unit to send the data to the solar panel control satellite where it is then downloaded to the IRS solar charging computer data base. This data is then compared to your tax return.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

zach477
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

"ReneeG" replied, but........

Don't think we heard back from the OP, "zach477"..:h

Jeez, you're impatient, haha. I'm not sitting here hitting "refresh" ALL day long. Only part of the day. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, it will be my primary residence.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

"ReneeG" replied, but........

Don't think we heard back from the OP, "zach477"..:h

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dick_B for the name of the IRS form. I checked it and immediately see we are disqualified. Although we can file our loan interest on our RV because it's considered a second home, according to the iRS form for the solar energy, it has to be your main home.