cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

something ate my wiring

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Lengthy story,, on the 10th or 12th of may I pulled my coach out of my shed for its annual spring cleaning.coach started and ran fine.After cleaning wife and I drove coach about thirty miles round trip for dinner on the 14th.

I parked coach at house and for next several days was in coach every evening redoing cabinets and replacing bedroom carpet with vinyl flooring.
last saturday (21st) my grandkids spent the night with us and as usual (they like to ride coach)we drove coach about 7 miles to the local Mcdonalds and back home and camped in the driveway.

I parked coach and finished up a few details Inside and started getting coach ready for this holiday weekend.I go in coach yesterday (thursday 26th) and nothing worked...Coach would not turn over.After some investigating I found something had severly chewed my wiring harness, plug wires most of the smog control items on engine and well as transmission lines and hydraulic lines on my leveling system.

I have progressive and my insurance reads as follows.Exculsions,, No coverage for rodent damage if the vehicle has sat unoccupied for more than two weeks.My coach has been used in the last two weeks ,,.
Am I fighting a losing battle or will progressive step up.
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled
6 REPLIES 6

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, what kind of anti-rodent protection have you been using. You do know that most auto wiring insulation is now soy-based. Mice, rats, etc just love to chew on the insulation.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
The local feed and grain stores usually carry a product that can help keep the critters from shewing your wiring. Comes under different names but "Bitter Apple" in a pint or quart spray bottle is what I bought. This stuff is so strong and bitter, they warned me not to even think about trying a tiny taste, that when spayed on your exposed wires no critter will touch them.

I think it was only $5 for so and it is easy enough to squirt it on every couple of months. It's worked pretty well here in Arizona where pack rats can be a serious problem. Good luck!

:C

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
96bounder wrote:

Truth is that most of that damage probably was done while "in the shed" over the winter......and it finally failed after a little use.

Stick to your guns though as this is likely to be an expensive proposition. Good luck.

AND.....these things come up every spring just like clock work.
EVERY RV owner needs some "child proof" bait stations near his stored RV, whether you think you have rodents or not.
Of course, that won't help if the "rodent" is a raccoon or maybe even a squirrel.

Luckily I had coach in a local garage on Sat 14 to have oil changed and greased .and tech said everything looked good under coach.
sitting in my driveway now you can see several wires hanging under coach as well as a puddle of trans fluid where lines have leaked.
Hopefully this will show coach was in good condition 6 days before incident was reported
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
96bounder wrote:

Truth is that most of that damage probably was done while "in the shed" over the winter......and it finally failed after a little use.

Stick to your guns though as this is likely to be an expensive proposition. Good luck.

AND.....these things come up every spring just like clock work.
EVERY RV owner needs some "child proof" bait stations near his stored RV, whether you think you have rodents or not.
Of course, that won't help if the "rodent" is a raccoon or maybe even a squirrel.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
The same thing happened to my Class B last month, except I was camped in the woods turkey hunting. On day 6 I chased a raccoon out of the engine area & found all wires chomped. 6 days in the shop & $2,200 later it's good. He also chewed through the fuel line & almost through the propane line. My AAA insurance covered it under comprehensive with a $500 deductible. GL with Progressive, but it sounds like you will be covered.

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Erick, pictures, pictures, and more pictures. Also pictures showing where the coach is parked. Anything that will prove the coach has been very recently used. You may have to push them a little.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B