cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stains in vinyl

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I've been getting these "stains" in the vinyl floor of my toy hauler every Summer when we don't go camping. It can't be cleaned off the surface. Bleach injected under the vinyl doesn't affect it. The only thing that will fade it is two to three weeks of direct sunlight. I put a 4x8 sheet of Styrofoam on the ramp thinking it's heat related. No change. Here are before & after pics of the effect of sunlight after a Summer of storage. Any farther than what you can see is unaffected. The 6" wide change of color was caused by a 2x6 I carry to put under the ramp when it's down. This had occurred for the past 4/5 years. Stain in the Summer, fade in the Winter sunlight. We're headed into another Summer.... HELP...

Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500
10 REPLIES 10

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a old post but it's exactly what has happened to my camper. I just loaded it after 3 months off the truck. The turnbuckles were on the floor, when I picked them up there was a perfect red spot where they layed, It looks like someone traced around them. Any suggestions? Reason it happened?
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
This is an easy one as I had the exact same reddish staining with our kitchen flooring ... it's not staining, not the result of excessive moisture, not "red dust", but simply natural deterioration of the material itself. According to your SIG you've got a 12 yr old TH and you can bet this is simply a chemical reaction within the flooring material which is aging and drying out, and as you've noted varies in intensity according to it's exposure to the sun. Your flooring is done, the only solution is to remove and replace it, just as I did in our kitchen.
But...the intensity of the staining is inversely proportional to exposure to daylight.Is that similar to your kitchen vinyl?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
This is an easy one as I had the exact same reddish staining with our kitchen flooring ... it's not staining, not the result of excessive moisture, not "red dust", but simply natural deterioration of the material itself. According to your SIG you've got a 12 yr old TH and you can bet this is simply a chemical reaction within the flooring material which is aging and drying out, and as you've noted varies in intensity according to it's exposure to the sun. Your flooring is done, the only solution is to remove and replace it, just as I did in our kitchen.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure about THs - do they possibly glue some of the sheet flooring down? If so, it could be the adhesive reacting with the flooring material. Can you lift it up in a spot around the perimeter somewhere or remove one of the tie-downs? Maybe try a flooring forum like this one.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Sheet vimyl is made of three layers, the paper backing. the photo-gravature vinyl layer with the pattern, and a clear vinyl top layer. My guess is that you are getting something between the top layer and the pattern layer or that the pattern color is not stable underneath. Is the trailer parked with the door facing South in the Summer? Maybe the heat buildup is causing the stains. It's a weird one, for sure.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like the red dust from up north. If your ramp is not sealing well. That stuff is very difficult to remove if it gets even damp. I have had it seep through the floor if I drive on the forest roads a lot. I learned years ago to sweep it out every day I'm up there. very strange since you haven't been out in a while. Could it be coming in from the wheel wells if you have an open hauler?
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not enough rain in Az to do that, lol. That sure is odd. The only stains I have is from movement of the tires on the Prowler. Where in Az are you? I am on the west side of the valley.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Is there any chance the wood under that area is getting wet from underneath? Like maybe when driving in the rain or through standing water?

Good thought but the bottom is sealed and we haven't had it out for over a year because of my wife's mobility problems..

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Is there any chance the wood under that area is getting wet from underneath? Like maybe when driving in the rain or through standing water?

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I know I messed this up.. Here's the before pictures.. Hopefully..