cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

steer safe

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
I have steer safe installed on my coach.If I wonted to have the steering components checked for slop would I have to disassemble the whole thing or just the springs.
joe money
5 REPLIES 5

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

We also have a "STEER-SAFE", on our Motorhome. If who ever installed your Steer-Safe, and go it dead center, you shouldn't ever have take the springs off.

My self, I did my own install, then I went down and had all new Tires put on, and a Front End Alingment to. That's the best way to see if your Steer-Safe is Dead enter or not. You can also se a Measuring Tape with a friend, but I bet it will be slightly off a tad.

I drive now, every where, with just one hand, period. Passing Semis and cross Winds up to about 25 to 35 MPH is safe for our Motorhome. Any more than that, then its a two hander, for mostly "Safty Reasons". or if to bad, pull over and wait it out if we have to. One of the many pleasures of have a "Fully Self-Contained RV".

To use anyways, our "Steer-Safe", has been one of the Best Mods I have ever had, and I do everything myself, for the last 46+ years as "Travelers" and "RVer's, and "Boon-Dockers.

Good Luck. Happy Traveles. Dan & Jill & our two "Yorkie Kids" who love to go as much as we do.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
After they greased the bell cranks how did it drive? Grease really is a wonderful thing and helped "tighten up" the king pins in my F53. All moving joints that have zerk fittings have slop, otherwise where would the grease go? The real question is, is there too much slop for the grease to compensate for.

I never had steer safe, but I would suspect taking the springs off would do what you want.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
Where ever you went that told you grease took out the slop.....DON'T GO BACK THERE.......EVER!!!!!!!

joe0508
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
I think most of the front end components could be checked if you just remove the springs. You'll probably have to back off the nuts on the eye bolts to the springs to easily remove the springs.

Fred
That sounds good because all I really wont to check is the gear box and the bell crank arms.I had all the parts checked once already.I am gonna get a second opinion because they told me the driver side arm had slop but after a greasing the slop went away.It is hard for me to believe that just simple grease job will tighten them up.
joe money

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I think most of the front end components could be checked if you just remove the springs. You'll probably have to back off the nuts on the eye bolts to the springs to easily remove the springs.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida