cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing Your RV

john_d_dobbs
Explorer
Explorer
We've recently moved into a new home - downsized into a smaller home on a single floor. Good move for us except that I no longer have an RV shelter. We can park the RV off-street here at the new house (just barely) but I considering using an RV storage facility (several nearby).

When deciding on an RV storage facility, what should I look for? What makes it convenient? What makes it inconvenient? What should I look for in terms of security?

Or is storing an RV at a facility just a pain?

I'd love to hear about your experience,
Thanks,
John
16 REPLIES 16

f150camper
Explorer
Explorer
I would park it off street at the house - since you mentioned you have that option. Why pay somebody for something you can have for free? Get a RV cover if you want to, and if you have snow frequently where you live, but that may not be required.
I would keep it plugged in if you can run an extension cord to the trailer. Maybe put a fan on a timer inside to move the air around an hour or two per day.
Nights camped 2011: 13 (4 in the old popup) ๐Ÿ™‚
Nights camped 2012: 36
Nights camped 2013: 28
Nights camped 2014: 21

2012 F-150 XLT screw 4x4 HD max tow
2012 Jayco X19H

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
We have been storing our current camper in two different facilities. I have personally been very pleased with both. The first one was a dirt/grass parking area (with a slight incline). The good: large spots. I would say they were around 20-25' wide and a good 50' long. Also, very inexpensive. The bad: It was about 25 minutes away (just far enough to be annoying at times) and insurance rates were actually higher in that city. The current setup is nicer. Sites are paved, but they are rather tight. 10x40. Doable but tight. Oddly enough I actually like it during storms as the wind is buffeted on either side of my camper. Insurance rates lower since it's in the same city we live in. Much closer at around 7 minutes away - much easier to check on things. Both facilities had security cameras though I like the current one better as they have huge screens at the main office as you go in so you can see the traffic within the gates. Price-wise, they are a little higher but worth it for me.
My requirements for storage:
1. Price
2. Security
I hope this helps.