cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange Dicor issue

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we went out for a few days in a camp ground that has allot of Black Walnut trees.
Very early one morning it sounded like a brick hit the roof of the trailer. Went out and didn't see anything abnormal, but noticed a few walnuts on the ground.
These were no slouches, a little bigger than a golf ball and hard as He''!
Just went a did some seal inspection (winter prep) and found a few small dents in my rubber roof in front of the fridge vent.
I cleaned them off and found two of them had actually cut the roof membrane one was less than a 1/4 of n inch and the other had two small slits about a 1/8th of an inch.

So,, having a tube of Dicor Lap sealant, I put a dab of sealant on the cuts and rubbed them in a small circle to cover the cuts.

A few minutes later I noticed that the Dicor caused that area to swell and pucker. Actually wrinkling the membrane! WTF?
Did the Dicor shrink as it dried?
I do not see any additional tears or cuts but,,,,I am concerned now!
What did it do to the surrounding rubber roof area?
I went out and bought some Eternabond patch material and will check it again later in the week.

Is this normal Dicor behavior?? I have used it on all of my seams not covered by Eternabond and it had No effect on the roof.
I will post pictures when I go back to check roof.
5 REPLIES 5

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor is not a product that you rub in, it's a lap sealant.
Perhaps you pushed it under the membrane.

2009 we were camping under a dead tree which I reported and sure enough a limb came down and punctured roof.
Installed RV roof patch that lasted 10 years until we sold.

Yes unusual, always liked the ease of use with Dicor.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
EPDM or TPO roof membrane? Dicor can do that to TPO but doesn't cause harm.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sound like you possibly have a different type of Dicor that isn't compatible with the roof.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would ask Dicor for their input.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking forward to the pictures. Unusual. I would have used Eternabond.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad