cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

suggestions on trim please

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

The pictures sow a little piece of flexible trim that fits in a groove on the front corners of our TT. 2017 Apex. It appears to only serve the purpose of covering up the screws that actually hold down the metal track it fits in.

Last trip on the way home the trim came out of the track on one side. I noticed it and stopped. Did not have a ladder handy so pushed it back in the groove best I could. Shortly down the road it came back out so I put a couple of pieces of tape on it and it held fine till we returned.

Trying to decide what to do before next trip.

Unit is under warranty but I am not taking it back just for this.

I now have it pushed back in the groove and it appears as good as new.

Trying to decide if I should put a small dab of clear silicone caulk on it every foot or so to help it stay in the groove or just try it and see if it stays in on the next trip. I would use very little caulk, just enough to keep it from wanting to pull out of the groove.

Just don't want it to come loose again @ 65mph and rip off.

Anyone have a similar experience? Suggestions?

edit: Only the middle part came out of the groove. Both ends where attached stayed in the groove
3 REPLIES 3

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine did exactly the same thing: came out in the middle and stayed attached at each end. Unless you use adhesive on the whole length the stuff will just pull out again. DAMHIKIJK.

I replaced the trim like that on our toyhauler with some that actually fit the grooves and doesn't come out. It wasn't cheap, but it really works and it also looks better:

Ebay Trim

This is white, obviously, but black is also available.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would pull it out and place a large blob of 100% silicone under it (did this myself in the same scenario). Silicone is a great adhesive and will last forever in a place like that because it never see's UV.
Don't use silicone where sunlight hits it.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Silicone while readily available is a big no on an RV. Sikaflex is what you want. You can buy the trim by the roll on Amazon or any RV online supplier and yes, it covers the screws.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB