cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Survived one of my worst fears!

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We were returning to Delaware from West Virginia after a family reunion in the mountains near Hinton, W. VA. We had to take the Washington Beltway, which we hate, but did okay on the way out early Sunday morning. However, coming back it was a little more complicated and we missed 495. I knew were were in trouble as MD 66 was heading right into the capital. Then the GPS directed us to 395, which also goes right through the capital. All of a sudden, a sign warning of a low bridge warning appears. Sure enough, the light flashed as we approached! Fortunately there was a shoulder so we pulled over and stopped, while 3 lanes of speeding traffic are flying by. We can't even get out to see if we would fit! We looked at each other with wide eyes!! So, I called 911. We had no idea how to get out of this mess. The dispatcher said not to get out of our vehicle, and wait for a patrol car. We had plenty of gas, and it was in the 90's.

We waited a few minutes, and suddenly a huge, beautiful, royal blue motorhome pulled up to the bridge in the center lane, and almost came to a complete stop, (I was sure this was going to be a disaster for us all) He had his flashers on, then very slowly inched under the bridge with a sliver of daylight to spare, and made it! There was a second bridge right after it too. We could see he was bigger than us, so after waiting for a break in traffic, we slowly pulled out and did the same! Whew!! Shortly after passing under the bridges, we saw 495 and got on. It was south and not north, but it didn't matter, we drove until our exit.

I wish we could have caught up with the motor home and told him he was our guardian angel!! I'll never forget the relief while watching it safely pass under the bridges. I'll never know if he knew the route, or he missed 495 too!

So, other than that nightmare, traveling a mountain hugging 2 lane road for 25 white knuckle miles, and crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge late on A Sunday afternoon with all the beach goers, it was quite a trip. Sure was glad to get home!!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW
39 REPLIES 39

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the day, I had a quarter wave CB antenna on my tv front bumper- it was a bit taller than my trailer. Handy for unmarked gas stations.
-- Chris Bryant

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our Class C the thing that always stuck in my head was when the salesman told me to NEVER get on a "Parkway" ( i know, i know,.... Blue ridge parkway is the exception. To a point). But in the northeast, a lot of parkways actually have signs posted before you get on them stating that no trucks , high vehicles etc allowed. (Meritt parkway in CT comes to mind) Only time our GPSsteered us "wrong" was in Kentucky...for some reason after visiting the Mammoth Cave NP, it took me west and then south on a road that was in a busy downtown area, and right under a RXR bridge that was posted 12' 2". We made it, and got the heck out of there and back to the highway... Was it the fault of the GPS? Maybe, but i blame myself for not looking over the route that morning before we left using my trusty Rand McNally map book
Proud father of a US Marine

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Just look at it this way, you ended up okay and now you have another great story to tell in a campground someplace with new friends.

Seeing the country is the purpose of this life style for us and little bumps soon become great stories.

Travel slow and travel safe.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
pennysmom09 wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Did you recontact the 911 Dispatcher to let him/her know you no longer needed assistance so the patrol officer didn't go to your former location needlessly?

Yes! ITried 3 times and got put on hold each time.

You called the 911 emergency line three times and were put on hold each time? Ummmm ok.

Yes, that's true. Not sure why, so we just moved on.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
pennysmom09 wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Did you recontact the 911 Dispatcher to let him/her know you no longer needed assistance so the patrol officer didn't go to your former location needlessly?

You called the 911 emergency line three times and were put on hold each time? Ummmm ok.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
JohnG3 wrote:
The GPS in our Class A allows the GPS to be programmed with the vehicleโ€™s height, width and length. It then routes you on routes that will avoid issues. Still not 100% convinced itโ€™s accurate.

Share brand and model with us all please.
Puma 30RKSS

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
The GPS in our Class A allows the GPS to be programmed with the vehicleโ€™s height, width and length. It then routes you on routes that will avoid issues. Still not 100% convinced itโ€™s accurate.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
All that being said about GPS, it wasn't incorrect leading us to 495 via 395. We just didn't realize we were so close to 495 south. Also, turns out the bridge was high enough!! Go figure!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Indiana Hwy 31, I think no warning til nearly to the RxR bridge, in a small town.
Place had great old drive in.
We took a truck route we found somehow and avoided taking the top foot off the coach.
Neither of us sleep in the passenger seat in towns etc.
Another one in Indiana near KOA. GPS like to cost us another accident.
Then there was the time it tried to ldad us to the right down broad crosswalk, into Lake Michigan and back up north under water.
And ..... and.... and .....

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
It happen to me in NYC .I got to ask a police how to get out from the mess lucky he call somebody and tell us the directions.It is really scary.

I know!! It was very scary.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
This is the reason to never blindly trust a GPS. GPSrs should be for amusement purposes only

The only time we ever "blindly" listen to GPS is when we are thoroughly lost. I always use maps, we didn't have a local map.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
How wonderful of the blue motor home coming to a complete stop in the center lane of a highway.

I know!! I thought sure there was going to be a pile up!! Why it didn't happen, God only knows. But I was sure glad it came along.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Do low overpasses typically have NO height measurement shown?? That's almost criminal!

Typically they are marked. I don't know why this one wasn't on such a busy thoroughfare!
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
How wonderful of the blue motor home coming to a complete stop in the center lane of a highway.