Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swapping a TOAD for a scooter?

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this but it's the closest:

Anybody swapped their toad for a scooter or a bike that's small enough to fit on a 350lb carrier? Too restrictive? Too sketchy in an urban area? We'd probably periodically rent if we're going longer distances.

Thoughts?

(2 people probably 325lb combined)
12 REPLIES 12

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
The saddlebags along with a backpack for my wife goes a long way as far as carrying capabilities. Plus smaller items can fit inside my tucked in t-shirt or inside my jacket. "if there's a will, there's a way"
Proud father of a US Marine

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
I challenge a few assumptions.

We often carried our 150 Vespa ET4 230 pounds on a light rack either behind our Honda CRV or no toad, behind the DP. The ET4 is rated for 400 pounds.

It goes 60 duo, plenty of power for around town. It has a trunk that could carry several bags of groceries and I added the fold down front rack that could hold FOUR 12 packs or a bag of ice or a box of stuff.
It also has a hook on the front of the seat to hang 2-3 plastic bags from.
And two indash covered drink holders for your water.

PLUS! It has under seat storage that would fit a full size helmet. Or more groceries.

I carried $100+ of groceries more than once.

For certain venues, it is great. Easy to park at races, sporting events, flea markets urban areas downtown.

And so easy to maneuver an RV with no toad.

Wow, that's more storage than some of the cars out there! ๐Ÿ™‚
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

We often carried our 150 Vespa ET4 230 pounds on a light rack either behind our Honda CRV or no toad, behind the DP. The ET4 is rated for 400 pounds.

Thanks! We were leaning towards it's cousin the Piaggio Liberty 150 so similar config. With a box and daypack we could carry more than we could store in the fridge of a Winnebago View.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

It goes 60 duo, plenty of power for around town. It has a trunk that could carry several bags of groceries and I added the fold down front rack that could hold FOUR 12 packs or a bag of ice or a box of stuff.
It also has a hook on the front of the seat to hang 2-3 plastic bags from.
And two indash covered drink holders for your water.

PLUS! It has under seat storage that would fit a full size helmet. Or more groceries.

I carried $100+ of groceries more than once.

For certain venues, it is great. Easy to park at races, sporting events, flea markets urban areas downtown.

And so easy to maneuver an RV with no toad.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

mcewena
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks, seems in line with my assumptions, horses for courses.

We find after I retire we no longer need the toad for daily commutes and it seems excessive to have a toad only vehicle. Plus it's currently sitting with the insurance adjusters and I'm guessing it's 50/50 that it'll get written off which will lead to the decision of how/if to replace it.

Much more than 1 bag of groceries won't fit in the fridge anyway.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
mcewena wrote:
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this but it's the closest:

Anybody swapped their toad for a scooter or a bike that's small enough to fit on a 350lb carrier? Too restrictive? Too sketchy in an urban area? We'd probably periodically rent if we're going longer distances.

Thoughts?

(2 people probably 325lb combined)

Well,
You've been given all the answers I would have given. Only you can say whether or not, you can handle poor weather, high traffic scenarios, COLD, or HOT, on a scooter. Then, there's the potential for needing to get a part that may be large for something that's broke on the motorhome. Some folks think inconvenience i.e. rain, very cold or very hot, traffic, and much more, is no big deal. And others don't like inconvenience. Us being of the second group. We carried our Honda GL 1800 Goldwing on the back of our coach for two years and towed our '04 Jeep Rubicon for the best of both worlds.
It was great. When the weather was cooperating, we're on the bike and enjoying life. But, if it's ugly, the bike's covered up at camp and, the Jeep's our mode of transportation to points of interest, dinner, breakfast, parts, whatever.

Only you can determine if any particular scenario will effect you or not. Sure, a small, say 200 - 250 lb.scooter is light and maybe can buzz you (and the DW) around for short distances here and there. But, you have to realize the shortcomings of that small scooter too. If you need groceries, you gonna get one bag?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the opposite as you are suggesting. We hauled a 150cc scooter on a receiver rack behind the motorhome for a couple of years. It was handy on certain occasions, but more often than not, it was either to cold, to hot(we don't like sweaty helmet heads)or raining.
We had a storage box on the back, but many times we wanted to buy more items than what the storage box would hold.

After 2 years we started towing a car. I can hook up the car quicker than I could load and secure the scooter and the comfort of a car is obvious.
We did like being able to park the scooter almost anywhere even in congested areas though.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
We switched about four years ago and I still cannot say it was the right thing to do. When the weather is warm it works very well. But when cold or rainy we find ourselves just not going out. We originally decided that if we needed transportation for considerable distance in metro areas we would rent a car. So far that has not been necessary. We haul a pretty large scooter (Yamaha Majesty) so we can move with highway traffic and it works well for two up riding with a large under seat cavity for groceries. It is a real plus for parking. I can load and unload without assistance but it does take a bit of time to secure for travel.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
We currently use my wife's Suzuki Boulevard S40 (650cc cruiser) it weighs about 450lbs. We put it on a motorcycle carrier that can handle 600lbs. The bike has saddle bags and in the 4 years we have brought it with us I can't remember a time that we were restricted going somewhere because Of The weather. For right now it works very well for us. The ultimate set up for us when we can go for longer extended trip ( over a month) we want a small truck as a toad with the bike in the bed Of The truck
Proud father of a US Marine

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've considered it. May do it yet.

As to securing it when you are away from it, there are locks, etc., just for that purpose. People ride scooters and bikes all the time for work, etc., without problems.

Rain may be an issue, but it is more a personal convenience thing - some folks ride in the rain all the time, others don't.

The one thing about scooters is the size. There are some that can only go up to 35-40mph. That could be a problem in an area with lots of 45-50mph speed limits. The ones that go 55+mph may require a motorcycle driver license (if California, the slower ones don't require the motorcyle license).

You might see about renting one for a weekend and see how you like it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
What are you going to do when it rains? Got good rain gear?
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
We considered it instead of pulling the Wrangler.
Pros: It's a great idea, if all you want to do is see the sights.
Cons: If you want to use it to run errands, or to go someplace for dinner or drinks, what do you do to secure it/them, while you're inside and away from the bikes/scooters?
A foldable e-bike might solve the problem, if the establishment allows you to bring your "ride" inside.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)