cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway Bars

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve had sway bars on a 28โ€™, 6,000# camper, but weโ€™re downsizing to a 3,000# A-frame. Should I have them on this as well? Salesman recommends them, but heโ€™s in the selling business. Opinions?
19 REPLIES 19

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I'm back. Sorry for the lapse. It's been a horrid week.

I've got a Nissan Titan rated to tow 9500 pounds and the new camper is only about 3000 pounds. I'm thinking sway bars. I just don't want some 18-wheeler or Greyhound bus blowing this little guy sideways while I'm trying to pull it in a straight line. The salemen make their living by convincing me I need something I don't know alot about. I trust you guys more than them. Maybe a discussion of the difference between sway bars and weight distribution systems.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™m gonna say no, but fwed seems to have left the discussion without actually saying whether heโ€™s pulling the new camper with a Kia or a dually, or something in betweenโ€ฆ.
So Iโ€™ll go with D. Not enough info to answer. Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
First of all, you said "sway" bar. Are you really talking about a "weight distribution hitch (WDH)" or a "sway" bar - lots of people regularily say "sway" bar but mean WDH. Totally different tools for totally different functions.

Indeed. The bars associated with a weight distributing Hitch are actually called spring bars. Older design WDHs often used add on anti sway bars that used a friction adjustment to control sway.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, you said "sway" bar. Are you really talking about a "weight distribution hitch (WDH)" or a "sway" bar - lots of people regularily say "sway" bar but mean WDH. Totally different tools for totally different functions.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on your tow vehicle. You need to look at the tow capacity and requirements to get the capacity. Also, look at the sticker on the receiver, it will also state whether or not an equalizing hitch is required for the receiver.
Unless you are running a 3/4 ton or bigger, usually you will need the equalizer
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore