cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway Control and WD Hitches

sennister
Explorer
Explorer
We went to the RV Show here locally this weekend and just started the buying process for a new camper and wanted to double check a couple things.

Truck Specs from GMC:
2011 Yukon Denali (short one not XL) AWD
TWR: Trailer Weight Ball: 8100lbs
GCWR: 14,000
Curb Weight: 6,000lbs so that gives us 8,000lbs for the camper, the family and all of our stuff.
Ball Weight: Class IV 10-15% trailer; 1200lbs max
The truck does have the optional factory brake controller
Like all Denali's it has the rear air shocks with load leveling.

Trailer Specs from Jayco: (I didn't take a photo of the dataplate so this is an estimate from the website so ballpark numbers not taking into account options)
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
UVW: 5265lbs
Dry Hitch: 640lbs
GVWR: 6750lbs

So from a towing capacity we should be staying away from the max capacities well enough to be good. We live and will be camping mainly in MN and WI mostly within 150 miles so only mild hills no mountains or high altitude stuff planned. We don't get crazy winds here normally.

With my current camper (22' Dutchman) we have been using a Draw-Tight WD hitch rated for 12,000lbs with the 1200 spring bars that support up to 1200lbs Tongue Weight. This is the chain style and we have never used a sway control bar with it as I don't have one. This hitch was probably too big for what we were using.

In talking with sales, I said I wasn't sure what the rating was on the hitch and inquired about this. She stated that for the trailer we are getting they normally recommend at least a 10K hitch or 12K might be a bit better. They use the Equal-i-zer and I guess from the stand point of it will give me sway control without another connection that I have to take off when parking it might be nice. They are asking $795 for it though and I have found it for less ($510 on Amazon) or they said they will move what I have now over for free. I might ask them if they will price match.

I assume that this would also mean that if I bought the one from Amazon they would install that one for free when we go to get the camper. Though it isn't like it is hard to bolt up and mainly looking at a bit of time setting it up. I have a level section of driveway. So should I just have them move what I have now and then get consider getting either the sway control later if I need it or upgrading the bars to the other design that provides sway control?

I guess I don't know how much I will need it on the camper though this one is bigger both in length and weight. I do know that if I don't get it and have it set up that means I might be mid trip and get into cross winds or some other condition where I wish I had it. This is why I am leaning toward just going with the Equal-i-zer or something similar.

Do my numbers look good and thoughts on what to do with the WD hitch/sway control?
18 REPLIES 18

sennister
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses so far. Now it brings me to a couple questions and what may be a wrench into the recommendation....

I hadn't seen the Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch so at the recommendation here I looked into them a bit.

Specifically on the Blue Ox, I see that they are doing sway control even though it is a chain style link. In searching it sounds like this was better achieved (or at least some users said so) that this effect was better with an older design than a newer design. I think this is from 2013 though so not sure when the design change happened or if there was another design change back to the old way. I will have to look into that more. I was leaning toward Equal-i-zer because I liked the idea of not having to unhook sway control when parking and such.

I watched a video on youtube which covered the installation on the Blue Ox and it mentioned something I didn't consider. They mentioned that they have different versions for the Blue Ox. One for Standard Trailer Couplers and the other for Underslung Couplers. I am not an expert at trailer couplers but when this was mentioned I remembered that the coupler looked different than what I have seen before on the new trailer but didn't think much of it. The new Jayco uses an Underslung Coupler where our old camper is a Standard Trailer Coupler.

Because of this will it make it more difficult, or impossible to use our old hitch on the new camper? While I agree with others here I would rather be the one setting up a hitch, I would rather they do it with a new one to get me home if my only alternative is them drilling a bunch of holes in the A frame to install my old hitch which I may not ultimately end up using. This is why I posted the question here. I didn't want them or me to drill holes in the A Frame to install a friction based Sway Control if I am better off in the long run going with a different design which may not require holes or different holes in different locations.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When I read your post, I had the exact same thought as BarneyS, he beat me to it. I agree. Have the dealer install your old hitch, order the Equal-i-er, and put it on yourself. I have the Equal-i-zer with a 35 foot camper. Works great! Very easy to hitch up once you have it installed.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would have them install your present hitch to get the trailer home. I would order the Equal-i-zer hitch from wherever you want and then install it yourself at home. You will do a better job than some tech who has probably never towed anything in his life.

I would probably get the hitch with 1000lb bars. The 1200 would most likely be too much and possibly would stress the A frame of the trailer.
The 1000lb version of the Equal-i-zer would give you the weight distribution and sway control you need but still be flexible enough to give you a good ride and not put too much stress on the trailer.

Edit: I agree with the above poster. The Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch would also be a good candidate for your application.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Blue Ox Sway-Pro. Simple, clean, and effective.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL