cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway Control

Grumpa
Explorer
Explorer
Need to use all mounting plates when installing sway control on trailer? Have two plates, one with eight holes and the plate with the small ball having four. Can I just use the ball plate? I do have room for all plates
3 REPLIES 3

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend using the spacer plate. When I first started RV'ing I installed my sway bar mount incorrectly and it caused the bar to crash into itself and the ball mount on the WD hitch during tight turns.

Well, this is what I ended up with.

More importantly than using the plate or not Mount it correctly. This measurement needs to be exact or you can do what I did... I was about 1 inch off IIRC.

thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure about the two plates. I have only seen the larger plate with 6 (maybe 8)or so holes in it. If you have a choice, I would use the larger plate.

There is a terrific amount of force on that small ball when the trailer tries to turn or sway and the possible slight movement may be too much for the thin steel of the trailer A frame. The "tin canning" of the metal could cause it to fail. The larger surface of the big plate will tend to counteract that.
Barney

Edit: Watch this video. It explains what the larger plate with 8 holes is for. After watching it, I still maintain it would be best to use it for the reason I mentioned.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
I have used only the one plate for years and never had a problem. Important to have correct amount of tongue weight.