Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sway & Wind

Frenchy33
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I have a 30' Coleman trailer pulled by F150 Crew Cab 5.5' bed w/ Curt 600 WD & Sway Control System.

If not pulling in wind, my rig pulls like a dream, and I have no problem what so ever. This past weekend I was towing home in 13 MPH wind. I seem to experience a lot of sway in situations like that. It was to the point where I had to slow to 50 on the interstate to feel comfortable towing. As soon as I got off the interstate and out of the wind, I didn't have any issue (so doubt it is a weight balance issue). I also feel a pretty good bow effect from passing semi's.

Does anyone else share this experience, or is it possible I need to fine-tune my WD hitch?

I'm heading from IL to SD this summer, and am dreading the thought of wind over 10, which is most likely to happen.
33 REPLIES 33

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's simple physics - the lighter, half-ton towable trailers have too much surface area relative to their weight. Less weight and more surface area equals more sway.

I had three different trailers I towed with my half-ton Suburban. All were 26-30 feet, weighing from 4550 to 7000 lbs. All three gave me the push-pull with passing semis, and all were susceptible to moving me around with varying wind gusts. On one trip on a windy day, I had the sway brake cranked down so hard that I bent the half-inch steel plate that the sway ball was mounted to.

I now have an 8600-lb trailer I tow with my 3/4 ton Suburban, and it doesn't sway. Period. No push-pull with the semis, and I don't even notice crosswinds. I've pulled the trailer down South to the Gulf, over the Mackinaw Bridge, and out west in the Rockies, including Utah, Colorado and Wyoming, and up and down the Front Range which is known for high winds. I don't even use any type of sway control. Have towed this trailer about 10,000 miles, and never had any type of stressful event above a 3, on my scale of 1-10. Had a few 8s with my lighter trailers.

If I ever had to go back to a lighter trailer, I'd go with a hitch that eliminates sway like the Hensley Arrow.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:

Dutchman probably understands that tires, hitches and sway controls do not make the wind go away. Heavier vehicles are safer in a cross wind, that needs no explanation.
The only problem with your theory is, you can hook that trailer up to a diesel dually, but if the tongue weight is to light that trailer is still going to sway. You may feel it less because of the heavier truck, but that trailer will still be all over the road. The problem isn't the size of the truck, the problem is the fact that the trailer is swaying.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our first toyhauler (about 32' long travel trailer) we pulled it with an F-150 similar to yours. It "pulled" fine, power was never an issue, and we were well within the weight limits, but in wind, it was quite frightening, and living where we do, it's pretty much windy on every trip. Almost rolled the entire thing on WY Highway 191 between Rock Springs and Pinedale when a tour bus and then a semi passed us going the other way, in wind. We tried all the usual "tricks"... making sure our hitch set up was correct, added airbags etc etc. They helped a little, but it still wasn't very stable. We upgraded soon after to an F250, and the difference was like night and day. Yes, we could still feel the trailer behind us, but we never felt scared or anything like we did when we were pulling it with the F150. Once we went the dually route to prep for a 5th wheel, it was even better.

Now, our current set up (dually with 38' toyhauler 5er) pulls like a dream. Last summer we towed it across I-80 in Wyoming (which is a towing nightmare usually) and it was absolutely fine. We felt the wind every now and then, but it was more like the entire rig felt it, versus feeling like the tail was wagging the dog.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the sway control and tongue weight. In my opinion a heavier TV will do little to correct the problem. Sway is magnified as the distance between trailer ball and trailer axles is extended. We had a 50' flat bed irrigation pipe trailer that would sway when we pulled it with the ford ranger or the Sterling Day Cab.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure you have 12% loaded tongue weight. then get a better hitch with built on sway control. I recommend the Reese Dual Cam. it keeps my 32ft 9200lb trailer perfectly straight behind my Excursion, even in high winds and passing semis.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi... I have a 30 Foot, 5th wheel towed with a long bed dodge 2500. I live in colo. And travel in winds up to 40mph. Safely. However, fuel consumption goes up...Happy camping . .. jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need to provide a lot more information to get useful suggestions.
What is your truck and trailer and what are their specs including payload and axle ratings.

Weigh your units to get weight with truck only, both with no WD and both with WD. You need axle by axle weights.

From that you can determine tongue weight. Then you will know if you have a properly sized WD setup.

Measure truck front fender heights with no trailer and then trailer and then trailer with WD. Then you will know if WD is set up right.

WHat tires do you have. WHat pressures do you have them at.

I tow a 30 foot trailer with a 1500 Chev and have done so for the last 7 winters. Last winter we travelled 18000 km - a lot of it towing. I do not feel the transport bow wave when getting passed. Moderate cross winds are no problem at all.

Going through all of the above will let you determine exactly how you are set up and will allow useful help from this forum.

Otherwise the answer is get a 1 ton.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Frenchy33 wrote:

For those who pull a 5er's, do you ever have issues with wind?

Nope. With my truck I doubt I’d have many issues with a TT either but there’s no doubt fifth wheels pull better - basic geometry.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Frenchy33 wrote:
I have a 2015 F150. I don’t fully understand adding tongue weight. Wouldn’t that in turn take weight off front truck axle? Also, tire pressures were all good.
Read Here
And Here
If you don't have the proper amount of tongue weight, you're driving yourself to the scene of an accident. A weight distribution hitch takes care of the front axle.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Frenchy33 wrote:
Thanks DutchmenSport. I'm seriously considering upgrading my truck next year to a 3/4 or a 1 Ton. Possibly upgrading the trailer to a 5th wheel.

If you're thinking of a fifth wheel, skip the 3/4-ton and go straight to a 1-ton SRW (DRW if considering 14K or heavier fifth wheel).

Answering your other question, we often tow in 25 - 35 MPH winds with gusts to 40 and above - mostly when we're in the southwest as we are now. The truck and trailer track straight down the road and I don't have to fight the winds at all. If the winds are headwinds, it hurts fuel economy, though.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Frenchy33
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 F150. I don’t fully understand adding tongue weight. Wouldn’t that in turn take weight off front truck axle? Also, tire pressures were all good.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Frenchy33 wrote:
Thanks DutchmenSport. I'm seriously considering upgrading my truck next year to a 3/4 or a 1 Ton. Possibly upgrading the trailer to a 5th wheel.

You will find a 5er is far more stable in high winds. Even more so than motor homes. We have towed our 34’ 5er behind two different F350 crew cab long beds across the high plains with 25-30 mph cross winds with little effect. Except significant reduction in fuel economy. Have had TTs and MHs in front and behind us in high winds moving back and forth in the lanes while we barely noticed the wind. And I am not exaggerating it.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
You may well be better off in a bigger truck. But first check that you have correct tire inflation for the load and correct load range tires. Also check the trailer tire pressure.

Tune the hitch in, if it is not already. You don't mention what year truck either. If older, are shocks or other suspension parts in good shape?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
You more than likely didn't have enough tongue weight. Did you have it loaded unusually heavy behind the axles? Weigh the tongue, ideally you need 12% or more tongue weight.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You may well be better off in a bigger truck. But first check that you have correct tire inflation for the load and correct load range tires. Also check the trailer tire pressure.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board