cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway with Andersen hitch

jmacpolo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jayco X213 and I am towing with a 2017 F-150 with a max tow package. The first time I towed I did not have a problem but then I changed the 8" adjustable rack or stinger with the 4" rack which changed the height of the ball slightly. When I towed the next time the trailer was swaying all over the place. I don't know where to start to stop the sway?

Thank you,
John
7 REPLIES 7

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
I would just start over from the beginning with hitch setup.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

jmacpolo
Explorer
Explorer
No I have had the trailer for several years. I just bought a new truck.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, but did you just buy the trailer?

On the way home from the dealer, it towed okay?

Went home and put all your stuff in it, then it started swaying? Right?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jmacpolo
Explorer
Explorer
HI thanks for the advice.
I had to trade the stinger because the new truck is so much lower that the old stinger was scraping the ground. I will try to move more stuff forward.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sounds like you just bought a new travel trailer.

When you loaded your stuff in the travel trailer, did you put it all in the back? If so that is your problem. Needs more weight up front.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
The trailer tongue must be level or very slightly angled down. You need 10-15% of the trailer weight on the tongue. (I've never seen 20% be recommended before.) Without those 2 criteria, a trailer will sway regardless of what sway control you are using.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

wski
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you unloaded the hitch weight just enough to cause this problem. Curious on why you changed the stringer? Most will agree that 15 to 20 percent is what you want for hitch weight. Why not try it with the longer stringer and see if it improves.