cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tekonsha P3 any good with "Hensley bump"?

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
My revered Jordan 2020 brake controller has just gone out. Since Jordan controllers aren't around any more, I was thinking of going to another, true proportional controller such as Brakesmart or the Max, but they are now out of business too!

It looks like most people (who doesn't have a newer truck with a factory braking system) are going with the Tekonsha P3. I know the P3 is marketed as a "proportional" system, however I know it really is just using an accelerometer to guess at how much TT braking should be applied -- not like the old Jordan which used actual brake pedal feedback via an attached cable.

So is the Tekonsha P3 any good at eliminating, or at least toning down, the infamous "Hensley bump"? :@

Thanks!

(FYI - Posted this on the Tech Issues forum, but it didn't get any traction . . .)
Mighty 4Runner Sport V8 4x4 - over 200k
Hensley Hitch
McKesh Mirrors, Geolandar G015 Tires
Hopkins Insight Brake Controller
Tranny: Hayden Cooler/Fan & CyberDyne Gauge
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids everywhere!
Rockwood 2502 Ultralight TT (3600 lb. dry)!
22 REPLIES 22

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
TeryT, it's a matter of preference on the adjustment. I like my trailer brakes turned up so you can feel them grab, especially with how heavy the traffic is around here.

The downside is at slow speeds, like 20 mph. The boost level will grab the trailer brakes early and if you only going 20 mph, they will really slow the trailer down, which in turn is sensed by the accelerometer in the controller, which in turn applies more brakes....the fix is to get your foot off the brake pedal briefly to release the controller, but the result is a jerky stop. If I get stuck in traffic, I'll usually leave the boost at 2 and dial back the gain to smooth out the ride.

I've had my P2 in the truck and connected to the factory harness for 10 years now and never had any battery drain issues.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I've just upgraded my truck to one with an integrated controller (GMC 2500HD), but here are my long term observations about the P3:

1.) Mine drew power all of the time. Probably some wierd GM wiring harness thing, but I always had to unplug it if I left the truck for more than a week or the battery would go flat. It didn't seem to matter other than that.
2.) The initial setup worked well for a long time, but once I let the shoe adjustment go too long or one of the grease seals failed and got the brake shoes sticky, the brakes would get really grabby especially in the rain and then they would get weak after they got warm.
3.) The bracket needs to be mounted well so it doesn't swing when you brake hard. The P3 uses accelerometers and if you tilt it after you do your setup/dial in it will mess up the braking force under load. Same goes if you change how you tilt the vehicle by messing around with your WDH much. It also needs to be installed parallel to the direction of travel.

4.) If the trailer brakes haven't been used for a while you need to get them warm and knock the rust off the inside of the drum before you'll get consistent braking performance.

The GM integrated brake controller on my new truck is awesome. It senses the brake line pressure and modulates the trailer brakes to match. It's super easy to use and just works without any fuss.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
TeryT wrote:
Thanks Burbman! So Barney and others have said the P3 needs to be adjusted when transitioning city vs. highway, but you seem to be pretty satisfied with letting the one setting you made serve both. (and I assume the P3 and P2 are basically the same - just the different display, right?)

So I'm wondering - why have others said it needs to be adjusted when transitioning?

Your assumption is essentially correct Teri. I think it comes down to how the trailer brakes are adjusted and personal preferences. If you don't decide pretty soon, camping season will be gone! :B :W
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Burbman! So Barney and others have said the P3 needs to be adjusted when transitioning city vs. highway, but you seem to be pretty satisfied with letting the one setting you made serve both. (and I assume the P3 and P2 are basically the same - just the different display, right?)

So I'm wondering - why have others said it needs to be adjusted when transitioning?
Hensley Hitch

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had the P2 for years, and yes it's very effective at eliminating the "bump". In addition to the gain/power setting, there are 3 "boost modes" that allow the trailer brakes to lead the truck brakes. The higher the boost mode, the faster the trailer brakes activate.

Remember that electric brake controllers are activated by the brake lights, and in most trucks the slightest pressure on the brake pedal turns on the lights well before pedal travel begins to apply braking force on the truck. Rather than wait for the inertia sensor to sense deceleration to apply the trailer brakes, the P2/3 applies brakes immediately when it gets a signal from the switch.

I keep my boost setting on 2 and it does an excellent job of eliminating the bump under all conditions. Enjoy the P3 it's a great choice with the Hensley.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Prodigy 2 or 3 is a minimum. Choose nothing less than

DirecLink has been state of the art for some years now. Reviews can be found elsewhere (at least one thread on AirForums). Kent Sunderling at MR TRUCK does a good job with all TUSON products.

Airstream sells it direct from the company store. Only one offered.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Hi Tery,
I used a Teckonsha P2 controller for quite a few years until I got my new truck last year. Both the P2 and P3 controllers have the "boost" feature that sends a boost to the trailer brakes before the regular settings kick in. That boost lasts for a few seconds and then tapers off to the amount of braking required by the tow vehicle. The amount of boost is set by you before using the controller. I set mine once and rarely touched it again although it is easily changed if you wish. The only time I changed it was when driving slowly through campgrounds, some city streets, etc.

In addition, the boost starts by the application of the tow vehicles stop lights. This happens before the tow vehicles brakes even start to do any stopping. This allows the Prodigy to apply trailer braking before the truck braking starts. You can easily feel this by very lightly stepping on the brakes with enough pressure to light the brake tail lights but not enough to stop the truck. You will feel the trailer brakes come on - the amount depends on the boost setting you have set up. This is something equivalent to using the hand control to apply trailer brakes.

Barney

Barney talks about the "boost feature" of the P3, which is helpful to eliminate the Hensley bump. Do other controllers (excluding the expensive ones) have this feature, or is it unique to the P2 & P3?
Hensley Hitch

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Teri,
For your needs, based on what you posted earlier about how you use your trailer, I would choose the Prodigy P3 over any other controller. No need, in my thinking, to spend big money on a controller that MAY be better or smoother.

I have never, in the 15+ years or so that I have used the Prodigy, experienced the problem that Mosseater described. The P3, as has been mentioned numerous times, works very well and is a great choice for most recreational RVers.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Unless the vehicle has a useable hydraulic pressure sensor, the DirecLink is probably using the wheel speed sensors to detect the need and amount of braking. Again, the consumer should be informed about how it works. If you are contemplating buying one, you might want to find that pressure sensor and then ask if it is the reference device. Some trucks have a simple on-off switch to detect brake pedal position for the ABS and a pressure sensor imbedded in the ABS valving. I have no clue if those can deliver any meaningful information to the brake controller, or if they are even read.

My DirecLink connects via the OBD connection for vehicle data. It literally plugged into the OBD and the factory trailer wiring connection in the cab. I had to install the holder for the little handset. I think OBD output is standardized in vehicles. They are also being used in air brake tow vehicles, connected via OBD.

When you call them they will answer all your questions.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
mosseater wrote:
My 2 cents...can't speak for the others, I've only used one for 10 years, the P3. It seems to work very well and I've heard their customer service is very good. My only complaint is it has generated full power for no apparent reason 3 times since I've owned it. It goes back to normal after a short fit. I should contact the factory but haven't. As far as operation characteristics, I love it.

Did you see a full power reading on the P3 display?

I have seen trailer brakes malfunction and lock up with a light brake application. Had a boat trailer do this and found the return spring had broken on one of the shoes. It did not lock up all of the time.

You know, that's a good question. I don't recall if it said full power or not. All I know is the micro second you touch the brakes, the tires lock. Come to think of it, it's more than one, so I'm guessing it wasn't a return spring. Would be unlikely more than one spring would go bad intermittently at the same time. I'll have to remember to take note if it happens again.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
TeryT wrote:
mosseater wrote:
My 2 cents...can't speak for the others, I've only used one for 10 years, the P3. It seems to work very well and I've heard their customer service is very good. My only complaint is it has generated full power for no apparent reason 3 times since I've owned it. It goes back to normal after a short fit. I should contact the factory but haven't. As far as operation characteristics, I love it.

Thanks for the feedback! The P3 is always highly rated in various places I've read. Bu that's a little concerning regarding the little full power hiccups you've experienced . . . but you seem to be pleased overall.

What is your hitching arrangement - Hensley or other?

Reese Dual Cam hitch. Yes, I agree the locking brakes is an issue. I keep forgetting to look into it. I have replugged my connections and seen it go away. Never really sure if that's the problem or not.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:

Did you see a full power reading on the P3 display?

I have seen trailer brakes malfunction and lock up with a light brake application. Had a boat trailer do this and found the return spring had broken on one of the shoes. It did not lock up all of the time.

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:

Thanks for the feedback! The P3 is always highly rated in various places I've read. Bu that's a little concerning regarding the little full power hiccups you've experienced . . . but you seem to be pleased overall.

What is your hitching arrangement - Hensley or other?
Hensley Hitch

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Sunset Creek 298 BH