cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tekonsha Prodigy P2 or P3?

tensch
Explorer
Explorer
I am in need of a new brake controller. I used a Prodigy P2 years ago for a previous TT and loved it. Just wondering what the thoughts are on the differences between the P2 and the P3. Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Same guts, so there is no difference in braking control

Different display and bells/whistles
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
So is the P3 better for braking than the P-2 as I have? chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
BenK wrote:
My P3 works exactly as the description of the Maxbrake

IMHO...most do NOT have their aftermarket brake controllers setup correctly AND that their TV brake switch isn't setup as tight as GMs

When I touch the TVs brake pedal and move it about 1/64", the brake switch turns on

Way before the pedal to MC piston ever develops any PSI

So my trailer brakes lead my TV brakes

That is exactly how mine is as well. I love the P3.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Personally do not like too many โ€œhighly integratedโ€ things on any of my vehicles, but resigned to it when/if I purchase a newer vehicle

Some things are best to be stand alone and trailer brake controller is one of them...IMHO

Another example is todayโ€™s 4x4 systems. Convenience the key operative and dumped down for fashion statement folks when check off almost every option list when they order

Dumbed down by increasing the smartness of the system

Ok Grit, I HATE todayโ€™s dash 4x4 controls. That extra two floor mounted 4x4 shift lever confused folks.

Plus another connivence feature is the removal of manual front locking hubs. Fools donโ€™t know to engage the hubs before going into slippery conditions...or getting out and getting dirty...ok... even seasoned folks get into it before they know it

Gone were the days of shifting into 4x4, low while moving at about 20 MPH...feeling the gears match while giving it throttle...then homing it in and off you go

My Sub has dash 4x4 switches and a computerized system controlling two motors handling the transfer case lever. Have to dead stopped, else it grinds...just slams it in...and it takes a tech 4 hours to dial it in

What does this do with highly integrated trailer controller ?

Funny ABS, funny traction control, funny torque management, funny trailer braking, etc might be be any one or more of them...or a sensor that serves two master systems...

Also, my hydraulic brake designs had a common failure...PSI sensor leaks. Spare parts kits we supplied customers included several PSI sensors...

Anyway...off rant..
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BenK wrote:

IMHO...most do NOT have their aftermarket brake controllers setup correctly AND that their TV brake switch isn't setup as tight as GMs

When I touch the TVs brake pedal and move it about 1/64", the brake switch turns on

I get little voltage when I lightly depress the pedal, not enough to slow RV. Only get real braking when the truck slows. I am going to re attach OE controller. I fixed my lousy brakes on my Mobile Suites so I will give the OE another chance.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Agree, the day Iโ€™d want to tap into a brake system unnecessarily are gone, especially anything in the last 20 years or so with ABS and certainly not anything new enough to have stability control or sway control.
Heck there arenโ€™t many trucks anymore in the last half dozen years or so with trailer packages that donโ€™t have built in brake controllers.
Iโ€™m happy to not have to add a d@mn brake controller to every new truck I get.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I agree the P3 boost can be a bit strong at slow speeds if you have it set up firm to lead a bit at highway speeds. Still not a big issue. I am very happy with my P3 and it drives my disk pump very well.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO...MC PSI sensed without an accelerometer is not as good as a P2/3

When my P3 is turned on by the brake pedal switch...it goes to whatever preset I've dialed in

Then the accelerometer takes it from there, while those only sensing MC PSI, will only provide the preset amount.

You'd have to press harder to get more trailer braking

I can stop the whole thing without getting into MC PSI. If course slow going...like at a camp ground

Dislike having another hydraulic tap into my braking system, but that us just me...
-Ben Picture of my rig

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I agree that the MaxBrake was a really good controller BUT there is really not much point in missing a controller that has not been made for quite a few years and is not available any more anywhere that I am aware of. The P2 and P3 Prodigy models work very well and are two of the best ones around.
Barney

I don't like when i am going down a grade to get the trailer brakes to come on I have to apply the pedal much harder than normal conditions. Also don't like having to back off highway settings or have the trailer aggressively brake when going slow.

With the MaxBrake as soon as you touch the pedal you are sending juice to the trailer proportionally to your truck brakes making for a seamless braking event up down or flat ground.

Can't be that hard for someone to do the same!!!

Brakesmart and MaxBrake both worked the same and were excellent controllers. Yes, they could be produced by yet another company, but people will not do a simple thing like installing a tee and they will not pay the price for something that is much better.

I may never need it, but I have a Brakesmart controller on the shelf since I bought a truck with a controller that also reads brake fluid pressure. It may no longer work when and if I need it, but I don't want a plug and pray controller.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't like when i am going down a grade to get the trailer brakes to come on I have to apply the pedal much harder than normal conditions. Also don't like having to back off highway settings or have the trailer aggressively brake when going slow.

With the MaxBrake as soon as you touch the pedal you are sending juice to the trailer proportionally to your truck brakes making for a seamless braking event up down or flat ground.

I am glad you like/liked your MaxBrake. IF you are having the trouble you are describing with a Prodigy controller you need to look into it. If it is indeed a Prodigy then you do have a problem. Been towing two different trailers with my Prodigy 2 and have NEVER had anything like what you are describing. I am over 60K miles with this controller. To the OP, they both have the same ability to stop your trailer. If you are buying a new one, the P3 does have some toots and whistles tht might appeal to you. I don't know the difference in cost but if that is important in your situation, the P2 will serve you well too.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

-Ben Picture of my rig

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Need to tap into the brake line pressure. OEMs do this and I believe I have seen one that plugs into the OBD to get the pressure from the vehicle computer.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tuson-RV-Brakes/335DL-200NE.html

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
I agree that the MaxBrake was a really good controller BUT there is really not much point in missing a controller that has not been made for quite a few years and is not available any more anywhere that I am aware of. The P2 and P3 Prodigy models work very well and are two of the best ones around.
Barney

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
The P3 has some very useful diagonistics that the P2 does not have.

Most noteworthy is the current function. I use it before every trip. A two axle trailer will draw about 1 amp per volt applied.

I do this test as if there is a brake magnet missing it can be detected by this test.