Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The mac daddy of bike rack overload?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
This on CL here locally this morning.

clicky

I'm thinking I95 in SC would make short work of this.
Puma 30RKSS
27 REPLIES 27

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Read about it on the Keystone forum.

Some of us have experience in things mechanical and know junk when we see it.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
smarty wrote:
Funy how some believe that simply from a picture they can evaluate whether the load is proper or not...
And they have no idea what the wall thickness is on those tubes. I see no problem with it but I was just a fabricator for many years building car sub frames.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
Good thing he is selling it! Imagine being on the road with him.

Imagine being next to him in a CG. I can't imagine how loud a GC 10,000W gen would be.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Another forum had a link to a manufacturer of these telescoping platforms rated for 500# (125# for the platform, 350# payload). Coincidentally this is the tongue weight for a Class III hitch, which I might point our is not used when this platform is in place. This was on a Class B Sprinter application which may or may not translate to some trailers, although the photos of the diamond container show a receiver that will not be in use.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Funy how some believe that simply from a picture they can evaluate whether the load is proper or not...

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I used to own a 2014 Heartland Trail Runner travel trailer that had a telescoping rack that pulled out from the frame. It was capable of carrying 500Lbs. I never used it for anything other than bicycles but it was nice knowing it could hold that much weight.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
No way Iโ€™d drive behind him anywhere within a quarter mile.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I always keep a considerable distance behind any trailer, if this doesn't convince you to do the same, nothing will.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
My concern isn't the trailer frame, but the size of the material. It looks way small to be carrying that much weight. Got to be at least a couple hundred pounds sitting, and bouncing, way back there.

I'll bet there's a weight limit for that construction, and I'll also bet all that stuff is way over that limit.

I doubt it, the bumper is 4" square and the square tube holding the generator looks to be 2" so it should be able to carry that weight. I used 2-1/2" angle on mine and it held up well.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be a lot for the back of a camper, but...

10,000 watt?!? Heck, most "standby" home generators around me are only 5,000 watt. Obviously you would have no concern about running anything on the camper, even all at the same time, but wouldn't you burn through those propane tanks pretty quick?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My concern isn't the trailer frame, but the size of the material. It looks way small to be carrying that much weight. Got to be at least a couple hundred pounds sitting, and bouncing, way back there.

I'll bet there's a weight limit for that construction, and I'll also bet all that stuff is way over that limit.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look again, that's not mounted to the bumper, the frame is designed by Keystone to telescope out like that specifically to carry cargo like bikes, generators, etc.

I did similar to our Terry, I cut the bumper off, extended the frame, and re-attached the bumper. I contacted the senior engineer at Lippert who advised that the frame was more than capable of supporting the added weight.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good thing he is selling it! Imagine being on the road with him.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member