cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Unicorn of towbars

SethRVTech
Explorer
Explorer
hello first let me start by saying I am a Master Certified RV technician I install base plates wire kits and towbars for living I would like everyones help in identifying a brand of towbar it is shaped like an X not like the traditional V. I have only seen one of these towbars before. I talked to the owner and he said they do not make them anymore he also said that he was able to back up with this type of towbar and he would not trade it for any other towbar I have looked on the net but have been unable to find anything on them I know they do exist I've seen them with my own eyes and it was not something that a customer built thank you for your help
11 REPLIES 11

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If the castor is w/in certain limits, any towbar will back a toad around a corner. Don't need no special X bar to do that.
What a bunch of BS. Plain to see why the guy went broke. And plain to see why there is no such thing being made, and probably never was.
And yes, back in the 60s, some vehicles would not steer on a towbar. We just tied the steering in the center position, and it worked great. A little tire scrubbing in the corners, but it never showed on tread wear.
And even now, if you tie/lock the steering wheel in center, you can back up any toad forever.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
"the toe and castor on the toad had to be within certain limits and it enabled you to back up around a 90 degree corner."

I was the one that made this statement, not the OP. And yes, this is what the inventor of the bar told me at a FMCA convention.

The entire bar articulated so that it would push on one side while pulling on the other. It had two connections on the coach side as well as the toad side. M&G had a mock up you could play with and see exactly how it worked.

gasser9
Explorer
Explorer
Late 60's Fords or Chrysler products used NEGATIVE caster can't remember wich.. They drove good.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
No, I saw that. First, who is going to ignore the car maker's spec and set caster zero (or some non standard setting)? Now the vehicle drives weirdly every time used.

Secondly, forward caster is needed moving forward. Reverse caster moving backward. One setting won't cut it for both directions.

The whole theory is bogus.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Ductape wrote:
Nothing in a towbar is going to reverse caster in the toad suspension when you reverse, so it's easy to see why that concept did not sell.

Yeah, I kind-a wondered about that too. I'm no engineering genius by any means but, the thought of backing up a toad, that has free steering on it, especially around a 90 degree corner, much less even trying to go straight back for any distance is, well, let's just say, seriously perplexing. I'd sure as heck would like to see one of these "mysterious" tow bars. To me, it's kind-a like one of those "100 mpg carburetor" things. Sorry to be a bit skeptical but, anyone who tows all wheels down, knows the consequences of making a mistake in calculations and, the potential need for backing up. And, if someone made a tow bar that would allow that capability, I'd sure as heck think it would be selling way better than hot cakes.
Scott

Excuse me, but I think both of you misread the OP's statement. He said "the toe and castor on the toad had to be within certain limits and it enabled you to back up around a 90 degree corner.". I don't think he stated that the particular towbar would reverse the castor when backing up. Not sure how the subject towbar would permit backing up.

Ray

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it connected to both the coach and he toad in two places, it would force the toad to either steer or scrub tires. I can imagine where turning the coach could force the toad's steering back toward center after caster had tried to take it to the stops on one side.
I think doing that, and accomplishing a turn like the 90-deg corner mentioned above, would take a lot of skill on the coach driver's part plus a very good spotter looking at the toad's wheels.
Sounds like something a skilled demonstrator could pull off at a show, but that the average RVer would be unlikely to be able to duplicate.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Nothing in a towbar is going to reverse caster in the toad suspension when you reverse, so it's easy to see why that concept did not sell.

Yeah, I kind-a wondered about that too. I'm no engineering genius by any means but, the thought of backing up a toad, that has free steering on it, especially around a 90 degree corner, much less even trying to go straight back for any distance is, well, let's just say, seriously perplexing. I'd sure as heck would like to see one of these "mysterious" tow bars. To me, it's kind-a like one of those "100 mpg carburetor" things. Sorry to be a bit skeptical but, anyone who tows all wheels down, knows the consequences of making a mistake in calculations and, the potential need for backing up. And, if someone made a tow bar that would allow that capability, I'd sure as heck think it would be selling way better than hot cakes.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall they were manufactured someplace in west Texas. Have a friend who bought it at the factory,according to him at the time was the only place one could buy one, friend no longer has a motor home a d has moved on so can't provide any more info.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
The bar you are talking about was designed and built by M&G Engineering. I saw one at a FMCA convention and I talked to the designer (forgot his name) and he said the toe and castor on the toad had to be within certain limits and it enabled you to back up around a 90 degree corner.

M&G never built the bar in mass production and from what I heard, M&G sold the rights to Roadmaster. Don't know how true that is but I do know that bar was pretty slick.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Could it have been a X trail tow bar?