cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

There IS hope for your non-functioning tank sensors!

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
Quite often, really, someone wants to know how to make their holding tank sensors work correctly and the answer is usually "Give it up, it's a losing battle". Well, it's not.

Travel Jon Holding Tank Cleaner actually works!

My tank sensors have NEVER read correctly. I saw this at Camping World and thought I'd give it a try. Now, mind you, I didn't follow the directions and use one to two ounces. I poured a good six or eight ounces (maybe 10... lol) at the beginning of each tank (after dumping) and added a couple gallons of water. It took three or four tanks on the grey and four or five tanks on the black but my sensors now read better than they ever have. My grey actually shows empty. My black still shows one light at the bottom after the dump but, again, it has never worked that well. I expect to be all good before I finish this gallon of product.

So... Don't give up on your tank sensors. There is hope!
36 REPLIES 36

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Sounds like a lot of OCD and waste of water

Toilet burps......dump
Shower/sink start draining slower...dump
Water pump goes 'burrrrrrrrrrup'..........tank empty add water

Otherwise if you use your Rig then you know how long you can go and when it's time to dump. No need for chemicals, high water use, monitors etc.
Waste holding tanks.......hold it/dump it repeat.
Experienced RVers use this method...no need for sensors..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougford wrote:
I flush my black tank with as much Dihydrogen Monoxide as I can. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't

You should try Hydrogen Hydroxide instead. It works quite well for me.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dougford wrote:
I flush my black tank with as much Dihydrogen Monoxide as I can. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't

BAN DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE!

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there.

Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

ยท is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
ยท contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
ยท may cause severe burns.
ยท contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
ยท accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
ยท may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
ยท has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination is reaching epidemic proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

ยท as an industrial solvent and coolant.
ยท in nuclear power plants.
ยท in the production of styrofoam.
ยท as a fire retardant.
ยท in many forms of cruel animal research.
ยท in the distribution of pesticides.
ยท as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

dougford
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ford F350 CC 4X4
2012 Jacyo Octane T29A
2006 Yamaha Blaster
2007 Honda Recon
2006 TTR50
2012 YZ250F
2013 WR250R
2013 XT250

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Toilet burps......dump

Otherwise if you use your Rig then you know how long you can go and when it's time to dump. No need for chemicals, high water use, monitors etc.

Biscuit I'm with you. I never use my tank monitor. I don't know if my sensors work or not. Once I become familiar with my rig I find no use/need for the sensors.
I see the tank monitor as a gimmick for newbies to give them peace of mind to know their rig will not blow from poo if they over fill there tanks.
Initially the tank monitor maybe beneficial but in time you'll know when it's time to dump without checking the monitor panel.
I try to avoid using chemicals unless absolutely necessary. I don't consider tank sensors necessary.

I'm in total agreement with you both!
X3 or 4 or 5 whatever!!

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I'm still shocked how many state they just give up. Chems in Black and a monthly cleaner in gray will keep sensors working. IMHO don't use them and have sensors that don't work? Sounds like a personal problem! Just saying. :B

What many are actually saying is they don't care whether the tank monitors are accurate so the real question is, why would you care so much what others do that you'd be "shocked"? Sure seems like a waste of energy to me. :h

Soundguy is correct its not that my sensors don't work. It's more that I don't need them. I haven't checked my sensors in a few years so I don't know if they work or not.
The bottom line is I have know issues determining when my tanks a full without the monitor system.
After years of experience I know when the tanks are full and need to be dumped. I make no attempt to clean or maintain sensors simply because I don't use them.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Mine still work after 14 years thanks to The Geo Method

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
:R

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
I'm still shocked how many state they just give up. Chems in Black and a monthly cleaner in gray will keep sensors working. IMHO don't use them and have sensors that don't work? Sounds like a personal problem! Just saying. :B

What many are actually saying is they don't care whether the tank monitors are accurate so the real question is, why would you care so much what others do that you'd be "shocked"? Sure seems like a waste of energy to me. :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
A wand, as several posters have claimed work so well won't work at all when you have macerator toilets (two bathrooms) that are installed in slides where the outflow of the toilet goes through the grinder, then a longish flexible hose and then into the black tank.

Chemicals, like Rid-X and others are the only option if you want the gauges to work, even the Geo Method is adding "chemicals" to the tanks. I, for one, like the gauges to work...I like the gas gauge to work, I like the amp meter to work and I like my tank level indicators to work. Yes, I can guesstimate for all of them (I know how much fuel the tank holds and I know my mileage per gallon), but, having the gray tank back up while I'm taking a shower doesn't cut it for me if the DW has run the dishwasher a couple of extra times without me noticing and my toilets, the type and the way they are plumbed, don't burp (I won't go into how I know) and the gauges help to keep things "running" just fine.

So, thanks to the OP. Always nice to find good reviews of a product.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
blangen wrote:
So... Don't give up on your tank sensors. There is hope!

Sensors don't work for one simple reason - the probes themselves intrude into the tank, over time clog with sludge, and complete an unintended circuit path between the probes... ...

Yup and that's what holding tank chemicals are for!
That's what the long tried and true marine/RV chemicals are designed for to keep waste and paper broken down into a liquid so they do NOT foul the sensors.

It also states right in the manuals that regarding the gray tank that a cleaner IS needed because certain elements in various well waters affect the sensors.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Toilet burps......dump

Biscuit I'm with you. I never use my tank monitor. I don't know if my sensors work or not. Once I become familiar with my rig I find no use/need for the sensors.
I see the tank monitor as a gimmick for newbies to give them peace of mind to know their rig will not blow from poo if they over fill there tanks.
Initially the tank monitor maybe beneficial but in time you'll know when it's time to dump without checking the monitor panel.
I try to avoid using chemicals unless absolutely necessary. I don't consider tank sensors necessary.

I'm in total agreement with you both!

Me as well!

Mine haven't worked in years and I really don't care..............
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
My black tank sensors always read "full". Got used to it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
On My Winnie Aspect, the sensors are on the outside of the tanks and work perfectly. Some manufacturers do "get it".
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!