cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thin air mattress

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking about for a thin air mattress, about 4-5" thick without much luck. My coach sofa folds down and is padded, but is uncomfortable and lumpy because of the seams in the cushions. I was looking for something that could be folded to take up very little space between uses, thus a mattress topper or some such is not an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The one fairly thin one that I found on Amazon says 1-2 months shipping time, which doesn't sound very promising. Nobody else seems to have that exact model.

Thanks!
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley
11 REPLIES 11

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping World also sells 26" X 75" X 5" thick air mattresses as I'm looking at 2 of them presently that we bought online from them about 6 months ago when they were on sale. Wife wanted them for our grand kids and great grandkids when a bunch came over at the same time to sleep over. Only have so many beds! I'd forgotten about them and she just reminded me.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google: bed bath and beyond and then search air mattress and scroll down to PakMat, click on it and it give the details.
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bed Bath and Beyond has an Aerobed thin air mattress named PakMat wich is perfect for camping or backpacking which means it is small when deflated. You'd need 2 of them side by side to make a full size bed. Comes with a hand pump but a battery operated pump is cheap if you want power inflation.

Years ago we used an Aerobed 3-1/2" mattress topper on top of our Lance Truck Camper RV mattress as it was infinately adjustable by inflation level. It was fabulous but after 9 years of continous use and our Siberian Husky jumping up on it, finally got lots of holes in it and too many to patch. So, We replaced both it and the mattress with and Aerobed dual individual side control inflation with the built in air pump that runs off our inverter/s 110 AC. Wife is disabled and needs to vary the inflation on her side most nights.

Then we did the same thing for both our 5th wheels and it works great and is so comfortable. Never will go back to a regular mattress. In our Travel Trailer (now sold) we had a Coleman air mattress 60" X 74" and it also worked fine but did not have dual inflation so we put a 1-1/2" memory foam on top of it and it's perfect without having dual inflation. The Coleman has never leaked or developed any "bubbles" and definately was not uncomfortable.

The 3-1/2" Aerobed topper air mattress is what you want if it's still made or two PakMat's.

Another huge gain in the truck camper is that a normal mattress gets very cold thruout the entire time sitting on top of the cabover base in winter and takes all night to warm up and you are chilled all night. However, the air mattress just being air inside, warms in less than an hour from laying on it or simply preheat it with an electric thermosat mattress pad or electric blanket plugged in to an inverter. They only draw around 80-100 watts and just when they are actually heating. Bed's usually warm in about 15 minutes or 30 minutes in below zero outside temps. The built in thermostat won't call for any heating or very little after your body heat is laying on the mattress at night so it doesn't run down your batteries. We've used the heated mattress pad every night in the winter in the TC even in below zero temps in the U.P. of Michigan boondocking many times and never ran the batteries low while also having the RV furnace running all night. Some TC's are poorly insulated and that will make a difference in battery draw too. We love winter camping but not ever having a cold bed! My wife couldn't take it nor could/would I!

SomedayisNow
Explorer
Explorer
Do not use coleman air mattresses. They develop bubbles easily and become very uncomfortable to sleep on. We replaced them every 4 months because of the bubbles.

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
We used to use Thermorest self-inflating mattresses when tent camping. They are the absolute best thin air mattresses. Thermorest also sells straps that join the singles into doubles, we used the straps.

I'll take a look at them. Thank you!
---------
k.
2014 Honda CR-V

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
We used to use Thermorest self-inflating mattresses when tent camping. They are the absolute best thin air mattresses. Thermorest also sells straps that join the singles into doubles, we used the straps.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the 2 singles idea - could you just duct-tape them together? You could then do whatever you wanted on top of it. You shouldn't have to un-tape them to store, either. A little more hassle having to fill 2 instead of one, but should still work.

Or, frightfully expensive are the Exped mats. Super thin, super comfortable. They even have a "Coupler Kit" to tie 2 together:
http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/coupler-kit
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
ryegatevt wrote:
cKarlGo wrote:
Excellent suggestions, thank you!

Camp Mor got me close. In fact, they had the very Coleman one I referenced, but only in a queen size, which is (annoyingly) about 3 inches too wide to fit. They have tons of sleeping pads the correct thickness, but that are only a single width.

I think I might wander over to REI this evening and see what they have in stock.

How about buying two of the single width mattresses? Some of the ones meant for a sleeping bag are pretty narrow.

I had wanted to find something that I could put a mattress pad and sheet over. The sofa is leather (or leatherish) and is a rather hot surface to sleep on without something covering it.

I may go ahead and put in an order for the one on Amazon in hopes that they can dig one up for me. It doesn't look as if I have many other options, sadly.
---------
k.
2014 Honda CR-V

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
cKarlGo wrote:

Camp Mor got me close. In fact, they had the very Coleman one I referenced, but only in a queen size, which is (annoyingly) about 3 inches too wide to fit. They have tons of sleeping pads the correct thickness, but that are only a single width.

I think I might wander over to REI this evening and see what they have in stock.

How about buying two of the single width mattresses? Some of the ones meant for a sleeping bag are pretty narrow.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer

---------
k.
2014 Honda CR-V

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try LL Bean, Camp-Mor, or any camping outfit that sells to hikers, tenters, or canoists. Plenty of thin mattresses in all shapes and sizes.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie