cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of doing it but would like more info

Hokie_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sick of the rat race and have been thinking of selling everything and buying a used Class C and leaving.

I've done a lot of homework, but I'd like to know as a single guy in my late 40s could I make enough workamping to cover food, gas, and a little bit to take care of repairs, and such. It seems couples can make it work. But not much is said about singles.

Basically once I sell everything I'd have my camper, a trailer with my Harley, some tools, and a few things I'd want to keep. I'd probably have a little cash but not much as I've lost all of my savings in a business failure.

I'm highly educated, have lots of skill at fixing things, and such.

So if I do this I need to make sure that I can make enough to get by. Right now I just need to know what others KNOW not think!
17 REPLIES 17

SherylG
Explorer
Explorer
The campground managers that we have worked for have been great! We made $13/hr plus site, all fuel, gas and propane paid for. That was in north British Columbia. They were very appreciative of anything we did and treated us like jewels. It gave us the experience we needed to get the work camping job we now have in Kelowna at an RV park where we work and live full time all year long. This is home now, but we loved it up there!

Drrouner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in my early forties and have been work camping for the last seven years. I have never regretted leaving the rat race. In the summer I usually work for concessionaire run campgrounds in the National Forest. Sometimes its only min wage but I have made up to 11 bucks an hour and had a work truck. Since my speciality is working at remote campsites without utilities, I usually have my pick at campgrounds. I've worked in Maine, Va, NC, Georgia, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming. There are times I can't believe I'm getting paid to do this. In the fall I work at Amazon then find something in the winter for a few months. I have a late model van towing a 25ft trailer. I did the motor home with the motorcycle on the back, but going to town to do laundry and getting supplies grew old, especially in the rain/snow.
Getting a CDL is a good idea. I've seen job offers for 21 bucks an hour driving a shuttle bus at
the Grand canyon and Bar Harbor. Of course you can wait another 20 years but will you be healthy enough? Or even alive. I've had two people die in my campgrounds within weeks of retiring. (at age 62).
Of course its up to you know what you want to do, but for me the most expensive thing in life is regret.
Be Well,
David

glennts
Explorer
Explorer
If you had a Class A CDL you can easily get a day job truck driving in any city. Work for five or six months and you could support your travels for the next year or so. Many community colleges have a CDL program that will get you qualified to pass the test. Suggest you try these folks: http://www.sageschools.com/ . When I shut down my business that's what I did. Only I got on with a national fleet ( Crete Carriers ) and stayed in the truck for 3 yrs. Drove 385,362 paid miles in that time. Met a driver for the same company who arraigned to only work the cold months and spent the rest of the year on his Harley riding up and back to Alaska, camping/fishing along the way.

Folks may disagree with this but I say blow off the health insurance. All you got to do is make it through the next 15 years without incident and you're home free with Medicare. (Although riding that Harley is tempting fate.) You can do that right?

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
Hokie_Camper wrote:
I'm sick of the rat race and have been thinking of selling everything and buying a used Class C and leaving.

I've done a lot of homework, but I'd like to know as a single guy in my late 40s could I make enough workamping to cover food, gas, and a little bit to take care of repairs, and such. It seems couples can make it work. But not much is said about singles.

Basically once I sell everything I'd have my camper, a trailer with my Harley, some tools, and a few things I'd want to keep. I'd probably have a little cash but not much as I've lost all of my savings in a business failure.

I'm highly educated, have lots of skill at fixing things, and such.

So if I do this I need to make sure that I can make enough to get by. Right now I just need to know what others KNOW not think!

..............First off , whatever motor home you purchase should be equipped with a diesel and Allison , because of fuel milage and performance in the rockies !
..............Second , if you initially start workcamping you WILL NEVER be compensated for your expertise by any park owner or manager ! You'll be lucky to receive any monetary compensation above the space rental value plus your electric . Basically , they want something for nothing and they will exploit your skills to the upmost value once they learn what skills and training you possess . Sustaining yourself by workcamping is , as you will soon discover , not the way to make a living while residing in an RV . Some newbies spend their first year figuring out the realties and then have enough sense to make the necessary midcourse corrections . Good luck with whatever course you pursue ! , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

AppleValley
Explorer
Explorer
We did the workamping thing in north BC on the Alaska Hwy and saved enough to live through the winter in our RV, after driving south to warmer weather. We took care of a 28 site park together, but one of us could easily have done the job. Everything but food is provided for you so we saved quite a lot. It helps that we have no bills, other than truck insurance and health insurance. There's no phone or internet at the campground. We had to drive to the nearest cafe/lodge to use theirs but they didn't mind. If you don't mind wilderness camping yourself, you can make quite a lot on the Alaska Hwy as a workamper.
-Sheryl

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I did it from 12/09 to 7/12 as a single and had income based healthcare from the Veterans Healthcare. I worked about 9 mos. of the yr. About 10 weeks each year for Amazon; Paid 9.90 hr and your space and hookups ( you are moving constantly and on your feet for all but maybe 45 mins of a 10 hr day. ) It paid for 2 months of R&R. I worked at two others; one for 5 months @ 7.00 hr plus FHUS and then another for $7.50 hr. for about 2&1/2 mos. I made it work, wore out the Cl-C; had fun most of the time; got a chance to visit relatives for 2 weeks of the year.
Now for the bad; had a severe heart attack in the end of March 2012; had to quit a job in July 2012. Lived on what small savings I had; borrowed from Peter and Paul; Mary was kinder. Applied and finally got disability this Month and paid everyone back. Live in the old worn Cl-C and see VA for Congestive heart failure; 1/2 of the front heart wall muscle is dead; Short of breath if I exert myself. As you can see Westernparkowner is correct as I never had a great income; but I will make it as I am a survivor with a few smarts left on survival.
You have a big decision to make as I did when my company downsized in Oct. of 2009 and I was informed that there was no more room for me! Wish you luck. Research; Research; and when you think it's right do some more Research! Irover

Hatya
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just throwing an idea out to ya. My wife and I have a lance truck camper and a f350 dually. We deliver campers to dealers around the country part time. A guy who wants to work hard can make around 1k per week, but you are a 1099 employee, the truck becomes a deduction.

We often drop off at the dealer, and then spend time checking out the area. We just went toy denver and then spent time in Estes park and rocky mtn natl park.

I couldn't do this full time, but maybe this will help you

Pm me if you want more info
2011 F350 Dually 2010 Lance 850

Hokie_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the good information. Any other points of view, and/or information is of course welcome.

One thing I got workamping isn't going to work. So the need thing will be to see what I can do to make enough and not be dependent on a location.

TexasVet01
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought....
Forget Workamping....I have met several individuals (couples and singles) who live in an RV and sell 'stuff' at flea markets, craft shows, dog shows, horse shows, etc, etc..

I know several who buy wholesale (jewelry, watches, electronics, golf equipment, toys, etc) and sell at different venues and markets. They make a moderate living but, it still needs to be run like a business to make enough to afford insurance (life, health, etc).

My DW and I have traveled with our embroidery business for 10+ years. We do 40 - 45 shows each year but will be cutting back a little this year. The 40 shows still allow us to stop and smell the flowers from time to time.

Happy travels....Lew

PS: My DW reminded me of a single lady we know who buys jams and jellies wholesale and sells at 2 local flea markets. She is 70 something and is smiling every time she leaves the market. I love the habanero jams she markets.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Hokie_Camper wrote:

Bottom line is you can't make sure. Working at campgrounds is not 'guaranteed' work. You might reach an agreement with a campground only to be told 1 week before your start date that you're no longer needed. Or you might get there and find out that hours or conditions have suddenly changed.

Maybe not very different than the 'rat race' but at least you didn't have to drive halfway across the country for your 'rat race' job.

As a single workamper who's not yet SS eligible, I can tell you it's tough. Fortunately I have a small military retirement check and military health care. Without those 2 I wouldn't be able to make it.

If I could find jobs like the sugar beet harvest and Amazon year round, it would be much easier financially.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
After 8 summers of workamping as a couple, would not recommend it if you need to make a living. Typical, average workamping jobs are low pay and with no benefits. Great adventure for retirees who already have an income. If you have some skills so that you could get regular jobs on the road and live in your RV, that is a little different but not strictly "workamping". For example, people like nurses who can get jobs most anywhere. But you need full pay and health insurance, etc.
Jayco-noslide

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion would be to buy a Class A instead of a Class C. Class A components are the same used on commercial trucks they are designed for many trouble free miles. You get more liveable space as well.

www.rv-dreams.com has some good information on financials and workamping. This couple has been on the road for 8 years. They post their monthly expenses plus do a summary at the end of each year. This will give you a good idea of what the true costs are as well as what you may be able to offset by workamping.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Racing rats for a good wage is probably better than racing rats for a Workamping wage. Workamping, as a general definition, is working for an RV park or other business that the RV is a requirement for employment (i.e. gate guarding). Some people make a good living working from their RV, but that is almost universally a situation where their employment is not dependent on the RV, such as people who make their living off the internet or are traveling salespeople etc. Workamping in it's most common form, will pay at or near minimum wage with no benefits. You may get your site paid for, but many places require either hours to be worked for that site, or require you to pay something for the space. This is most often due to federal wage laws, not greed on the part of the park owner. (and remember, most any other minimum wage job doesn't furnish any housing). As another poster pointed out, health insurance will be a staggering percentage of your income. Also, working for minimum wages now will lower your social security income for the rest of your life. Your 40s and 50s should be the time you are accumulating wealth for your retirement, rat race or not, dropping out and working for subsistence at your age is financially foolish.

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't like the rat race, you might consider moving and living on site in a large RV resort that would hire you year-round as a maintenance person. Or, work in a large park during the summer and then winter in the south or west as a workkamper as you travel about. As stated, health insurance -even basic - can run you thousands of dollars per year. Owning an RV and RV repairs can also run into money. Finding full-time work six months and then traveling for six months, may allow you the flexibility you are seeking. Perhaps some of the larger RV resorts have a career page on their website. Good Luck. What you are thinking is nothing that many of us have also thought of but haven't bit the bullet. Good Luck.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs