cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This site caused and saved me some stress..Thanks!

Grateful_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
1st post. To sum it up. I did all the wrong research and listened to all the wrong people. Family and I have been pop up campers for years. We decided to make the jump to a travel trailer, and quite the jump we made. Shopped for the better part of a year, and a local dealer gave us an incredible deal on a 2018 forest river vibe 285bhs. I was assured it was well within the specs for my 2010 tahoe LTZ, from the dealer (I know), but as well from some friends, and a chevy dealer. it is a 33' trailer, with a dry weight of 6500. I know all about dry weights, but we pack light. With a towing capacity of 8,200 lbs. my calculations had me at about 7,800. After towing home with a newly installed equalizer hitch, I felt it was fine for in town tows, but our intent is to vacation in it (600 mile one way trips). I did not feel safe with 116" wheelbase, and the "shimmy" it got at 60 mph.

To make a long story short, I spent all weekend reading threads on here, and losing sleep from the fear I made a huge mistake based on the knowledge here. I traded the tahoe in today (got 20,000) on trade, and bought a 2010 F250 power stroke king ranch 4x4 for 25,000. So basically I paid 5,000 more to feel comfortable and to rest easy knowing my family is a little safer on the road. Also love driving my first diesel. BTW, I'm an experienced tower of bass boats and pop ups, but this is first travel trailer.

Basically, Thanks to you all for posting such useful info on this site. Look forward to learning more from you all.
17 REPLIES 17

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good decision to upgrade the truck before hitting the highway. You skipped an expensive middle step, and that's looking for ways to "beef up" what you own to do the job. Many spend $$$ on LT tires, HD springs, performance chip, aux trans coolers, slotted rotors, etc. only to come to the realization a few grand later that they need to trade up. I went through that with our 2000 Expedition before I bit the bullet and got the Burb.

Glad to see you saved that step and were able to upgrade your tow vehicle at a reasonable cost.

Happy camping and welcome to the forum!

Grateful_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Have fun out there.

i am curious as to what your research turned up on that TV motor.

A mix of everything. Of course if you dive too deep on the web - everything sucks. I knew I was going to avoid the 6.0 - and was split on the 6.4's I've read very mixed things online, but nothing but great from personal stories of those I know with the actual motors. They all come with common issues - with the occasional dud's thrown in. So far a I love it, and hope it is not now of the dud's. I did take out an extended warranty that covers all diesel related components (radiators, cpu's, dpf's....) as well as turbo issues. So hopefully if there is an issue I will know within 36,000 (which 85% of that will be towing), - so if it's going to happen, Id say it will within the terms of the warranty.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun out there.

i am curious as to what your research turned up on that TV motor.

Grateful_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
What a difference. Took the 250 to the dealer - 20 miles away, to get the equalizer hitch adjusted for the bigger truck. It actually drove better without the equalizer than the tahoe did with it. After adjusting, it towed better and more stable than my 20 ft. pop up did. I drove it home on a 55 mph highway, and looked down and I was closing in on 70 (and I am not a fast driver -- it just didn't feel like there was anything back there). I noticed it on hills, but nothing excessive. We are loaded up to take our first family trip in it tomorrow afternoon - just down the road to Land between the lakes. The extending towing mirrors are a huge improvement as well.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
73guna wrote:
$5000 is cheap insurance and trust me you'll be glad you did.
So much less driver fatigue when towing with a more then capable vehicle.

X2

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
$5000 is cheap insurance and trust me you'll be glad you did.
So much less driver fatigue when towing with a more then capable vehicle.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Grateful Camper wrote:
1st post. To sum it up. I did all the wrong research and listened to all the wrong people. Family and I have been pop up campers for years. We decided to make the jump to a travel trailer, and quite the jump we made. Shopped for the better part of a year, and a local dealer gave us an incredible deal on a 2018 forest river vibe 285bhs. I was assured it was well within the specs for my 2010 tahoe LTZ, from the dealer (I know), but as well from some friends, and a chevy dealer. it is a 33' trailer, with a dry weight of 6500. I know all about dry weights, but we pack light. With a towing capacity of 8,200 lbs. my calculations had me at about 7,800. After towing home with a newly installed equalizer hitch, I felt it was fine for in town tows, but our intent is to vacation in it (600 mile one way trips). I did not feel safe with 116" wheelbase, and the "shimmy" it got at 60 mph.

To make a long story short, I spent all weekend reading threads on here, and losing sleep from the fear I made a huge mistake based on the knowledge here. I traded the tahoe in today (got 20,000) on trade, and bought a 2010 F250 power stroke king ranch 4x4 for 25,000. So basically I paid 5,000 more to feel comfortable and to rest easy knowing my family is a little safer on the road. Also love driving my first diesel. BTW, I'm an experienced tower of bass boats and pop ups, but this is first travel trailer.

Basically, Thanks to you all for posting such useful info on this site. Look forward to learning more from you all.

No, THANK YOU for doing your research and actually 'acting on the advice' of other seasoned RV'ers who have been there done that.! :B

Your set up now will be much safer for all that drive with you and around you on the road.

Drive safe and have a good time RV'ing. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Grateful_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I did get the equalizer with sway control. I have not set it with the new truck. Called the RV dealer I bought the trailer from, and they said bring it in and they'll set it up for no cost.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Smart move! Better to travel in a safe manner with extra cushion than on the edge and hyper-focused on just the towing. That can be exhausting and the opposite of the relaxing experience we all want while camping.

Take care of the big stuff, don't sweat the small stuff ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy Camping!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You will never regret the $5000 peace of mind price tag... NEVER!

Congrats on your new truck and trailer!

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Now enjoy your new camper, but as you do that, do some research on the 6.4 diesel that's in your truck, especially the emission system. Just a little heads up.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds good. Did you setup the trailer properly with the new truck? Lots of people go out and buy a new truck and say it tows so much better, when in reality the first combo was never set up right to begin with! It sounds like the tongue weight is low on the trailer. Have you weighed the trailer loaded for a trip? that will give you its loaded tongue weight and let you know if you are at the proper 12%. If you haven't setup everything properly all the new truck is doing is masking the improperly set up trailer hitch and trailer.

Just to be sure, you should weigh the trailer loaded for a trip and adjust contents inside to get your proper 12% tongue weight.

other than that enjoy the new truck.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful!. I was where you are about 14 years ago and found this site. Dealers will sell anything to anyone. Glad you saw the light and did research here. Guaranteed someone here has made the mistake or effected a repair that will save you lots of hassles. It has saved me, and I have passed my wisdom onto others. Now as its your turn, pay it forward with what you learn.

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you figured it out so early in your time with the TT. You didn't wait for white knuckle trips to teach you.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB