cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to help sell our unit

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Going to sell our 2016 Camper. Wondering what tips some of you like to use, to generate interest.
I’ll park it on high volume traffic spot for my area, near entrance to a popular state park
Camp Ground.
Perspective shoppers can do a walk around but will have to call a cell to make other arrangements.

(I’ll also use some on line social media)
It will be detailed
27 REPLIES 27

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
rickhise wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Put it on Ebay....but don't sell it through Ebay.

I listed a 2013 in 2015 on Craigslist, RVtrader, and RVT. The commerical sites cost me $75 each without a hit and CL was nothing but tirekickers and lowballers. Two days on Ebay and had a buyer in Arkansas. (Were in PA) Use ebay as an advertising tool.

How do u put it on eBay an not list it?

Simple......you do list it. You just don't sell it through ebay. When someone is interested they most likely will send you messages / questions through the Ebay messaging. You then sell it without Ebay being involved.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
:R :R

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You just advertised it on here.

My thought also, a creative way to get around the forum rules.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
rickhise wrote:
Going to sell our 2016 Camper. Wondering what tips some of you like to use, to generate interest.
I’ll park it on high volume traffic spot for my area, near entrance to a popular state park
Camp Ground.
Perspective shoppers can do a walk around but will have to call a cell to make other arrangements.

(I’ll also use some on line social media)
It will be detailed

Be more specific with your description without being too wordy. Note any significant additions/alterations you've made to the unit that are not standard equipment. (solar panels, batteries, special racks, hitches, paint, awnings, etc.) Post the Year, Make, Model Number, and the size/length. I would NOT leave the unit unattended in a non secure location, especially at night, unless it is already a junkpile. State any deficiencies/damage in the ad. A few good photos (like 4/5) showing the outside/inside and any damage are sufficient. Send more to interested parties if/when they contact you and ask for them.

If you can, find a link showing your floor plan, post it in your ad. Study the floor plan yourself and if any callers ask questions about features that are delineated in the plan, refer them to it rather than answering the questions over the phone or by email. This will weed out flakes and lookieloos and save you time. It will make you sound more professional which discourages scammers.

Post your price in the ad, be clear about your terms, (cash, wire transfer, trade, etc.) and note the units approximate location on the planet. Show the unit by appointment only and do not reveal the location until you have a serious buyer with an appointment and money. Ask the possible buyer their name/phone number in advance and confirm it with them if/when they arrive to see the unit.

Do the above and if your price/timing/location is right, chances are you'll sell the unit quickly with minimal rif raf.

Chum lee

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Put it on Ebay....but don't sell it through Ebay.

I listed a 2013 in 2015 on Craigslist, RVtrader, and RVT. The commerical sites cost me $75 each without a hit and CL was nothing but tirekickers and lowballers. Two days on Ebay and had a buyer in Arkansas. (Were in PA) Use ebay as an advertising tool.

How do u put it on eBay an not list it?

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys All your responses gave me ideas

Paid 16k last year it was used, an is showroom nice
Sportsman 28 ft one slide, we both liked the open floor plan
Only need one 4 times a year. So a nice 10 year old
model will satisfy our needs.
Slow the depreciation blood flow!

Clean title so negotiable

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Better to keep it in a clean secure area where it is easy for you to show it to buyers. Priced right with good pictures on Craigslist works for most people. Be sure it is clean inside and out with all your personal items removed. If you can, have power to the unit so the buyer can see that everything works.
X2 - being able to demonstrate the systems was very beneficial when I sold my previous TT. I also had a step ladder available so they could check the roof. Had the AC cranking prior to prospective buyers arrival, and had the fridge on and water hooked up and heating. Sold it to the first guy that emailed my CL ad - for my asking price.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure the unit is level. Very simple thing! Prospective buyers don't want to fall in or fall out. Likewise, they don't want to roll front or back.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I've bought and sold many RVs on Craigslist without problems. This may sound trivial but I look at the backgrounds in the photos. If the rig is parked in front of a junk yard, I don't bother. Tow it someplace nice to take the photos and take a lot to create desire with a prospective buyer. When I get a text I reply "call me", no call, no deal. I don't deal with people that won't talk to me. Good luck.

Y-Guy
I've sold 3 of my RVs through CraigsList. You need to figure out who's playing games and who's serious. As mentioned be smart how your price it, do your homework on other similar units, NADA, etc. If you owe more then it's worth get a loan to pay the difference. There are far to many over priced RVs out there. You need to price to sell not to hang around.

Clean it up, fix the little things and get it ready to go, meaning get your stuff out of it and make it look factory fresh. If there is damage, show it and disclose it. Don't waste your time or theirs. Being upfront and honest usually pays off in the long run.

Take a lot of good photos, the serious buyer will want to see everything to save themselves from showing up and being disappointed.

On CraigsList expand your area, post locally but go beyond the 200 mile radius and post to those areas too. All of my buyers drove over 2 hours to pick up my RVs.

Weed out the scammers; if they don't want to come take a look, just ignore them. I found if they didn't want to talk on the phone they were playing games, same if their number didn't display on my phone. Make it clear its a cash sale or agree to meet at your bank. In my case 1 guy has cash, the other 2 were dealing with financing. I spoke with my bank each time so things would be ready on my end. I had the pleasure of becoming friends with one buyer, been 13 years and we still talk frequently.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
d3500ram wrote:
I have mine for sale and am oddly surprised how very little interests has been generated on Craig's list on which it is place in 5 different regions.

The most response I have gotten has been by outing it on the truck and driving it around. But that is a lot easier to do with a TC over other types of RV's.

When I'm looking on Craigs List for a vehicle, it's a red flag if the same vehicle is advertised in many different regions, doubly so if they are not all next to each other. If you're on the border between two or three areas, it makes sense to post in all; but five seems a bit excessive to me.

There are far too many obviously scammy listings that have the same RV in Phoenix and Atlanta and Chicago, complete with the same pictures and description. I generally assume that anyone who successfully developed teleportation technology would not use it to sell things in multiple locations at prices nearly too good to be true.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
I have mine for sale and am oddly surprised how very little interests has been generated on Craig's list on which it is place in 5 different regions.

The most response I have gotten has been by outing it on the truck and driving it around. But that is a lot easier to do with a TC over other types of RV's.

Wrong time of year? Except for any potential full timers, I would guess there would be much more interest at the start of the RVing season than at the end of it.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
“2016 Camper” isn’t very informative. Different methods for each type of RV.

The OP's lack of specificity allows me to leave this thread open. Anymore and it would be an ad.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox