cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Search for 5th Wheel

Merrilynb
Explorer
Explorer
After selling our home in FL, We purchased a 2010 Alpine 3450RL by Keystone last Oct. 2013 in IN where we had been workamping, drove it out to TX then back and around panhandle of FL down to Vero Beach by mid. Dec. In Jan. on way to Super RV show in Tampa, tire blew out after 30+ miles on SR60, but we were riding on the rim before a motorist pointed it out to us. Spare with rim put on and we were on our way. Bought a new tire over in Tampa area. Plus hubby bought Tire Minder sensors and kept checking them along the way up to St. Augustine then back to Vero. (Note: All traveling being done in Cold weather.) Sun. May 4th, on I-95N passing Brunswick GA front driver side tire on our 5th blows, and right away I saw it going up in my driver's side mirror. Took out wiring for elec. brake on driver's side. Good Sam road assist promptly arrives and changes to spare. Up the road another hour and at Savannah exit, second driver side rear tire blows. Again, I saw it all in my side mirror, along with panel damage. This time Good Sam's sends a Goodyear person with a new Marathon tire we had to buy and changes it all out. After this second delay of a few hrs. we made it up to Hardeeville, SC where we are staying in a new campground until we can get new tires and the damages fixed. Keystone will recommend nothing else except the Towmax Tire King 235/80-R16s that were originally provided. Our Tire Shield policy which covered everything for the first blowout in January, now says no, as the tires are inferior. The Tire Minder sensors which notified of a problem AFTER the first blowout at Brunswick, and the second incident the sensor blew off with the tire shreds, we are now told we should have had a booster. People in the campground are giving us advice on upgrading to a G rated tire and I have gotten prices from Goodyear. However, reading this morning in various forums other brands and information about them has been provided. So now I will search out those brands. Staying here until all is fixed.
7 REPLIES 7

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somewhere in around 2010 Keystone switched to wheels rated to 110/3750. Now G614's are very pricey. The Sailun S637 gets good reviews, it is however about 1" larger in diameter vs the ST235/80R16E's and G614's. So make sure that will not create clearance issues.

http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Your '10 3450 RL Alpine shows to have a 15500 GVWR and probably 7k axles.

Many folks use the Goodyear G614 LT235/85-16 G load range at 3750 lb capacity.

Another good tire for 7k axles is the commercial grade Sailun S637 which is a all steel ply carcass LT235/85-16 G load range at 3750 lb capacity. This tire is recommended for trucks and trailers.

And as donn says the 17.5" trailer wheels and commercial grade LT tires is another upgrade option.

You'll have to do your measuring home work for proper clearance between the tires and wheel well. Use 1" minimum between the tires and 2 3/4" at the top for std leaf spring suspensions.

I would say that this is the correct advice. 17.5 inch H rated tires are probably overkill for your application. I have a unit rated in the same gvw area and switched to Goodyear G614. You need to check your wheels to see if the are rated for 110 psi in addition to checking diameter of tires for fit. I think the issue at play here is weight transfer during towing. RV manufacturers use static weight ratings and size tires as close and cheaply as they can, not allowing for weight transfers and road forces. Also, Towmaster is a real dog of a tire.:)
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Switch to LT tires
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin XPS Ribs. I run LT 235/85 R 16.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Your '10 3450 RL Alpine shows to have a 15500 GVWR and probably 7k axles.

Many folks use the Goodyear G614 LT235/85-16 G load range at 3750 lb capacity.

Another good tire for 7k axles is the commercial grade Sailun S637 which is a all steel ply carcass LT235/85-16 G load range at 3750 lb capacity. This tire is recommended for trucks and trailers.

And as donn says the 17.5" trailer wheels and commercial grade LT tires is another upgrade option.

You'll have to do your measuring home work for proper clearance between the tires and wheel well. Use 1" minimum between the tires and 2 3/4" at the top for std leaf spring suspensions.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
My truck has Michelen LTX MS2's for Summer and LTX AT2's for Winter.

My 03 Cardinal had Michelen LT-XPS Ribs
My 06 Cherokee came with 15" rims & tires. After one China Bomb blowout 16" rims with Michelen LT-XPS Ribs went on it too.

If my 13 Cedar CReek would have come with anything but the Goodyear G614-RST's that are on it, it would also have Michelen LT-XPS Ribs.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have 6000 pound axles any of the better quality LT tires should work well. If you have 7000 pound axles consider upgrading to 17.5 inch tires and wheels. This alone will all but eliminate current and future tire issues.