cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toilet Bowl Won't Seal

Fordy1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic 310 in my 2010 Cougar, bought new in 2010, after the first 6 outings the bowl would not hold water, took it to the dealer at the end of that first season and they replaced the seal, since then I have gone through three more. I have cleaned the bowl and flush gate, tried Vaseline and/or plumbers grease each time. The last one I replaced only lasted two outings. Questions 1) is there an adjustment for how tight the flush gate mates to the rubber seal, 2) is it time for a new toilet? 3) is there a better toilet?
14 F350 CC LB SRW 4X4, 2010 cougar 30 RKSWE, Pacific NorthWest
10 REPLIES 10

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-302310071-Standard-Height-Toilet/dp/B008K6I1RU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive...

May want to put a new one in there.. One tip I've noted with my Dometic... with pedal you push down to flush and lift up to fill. A little lift after the flush positively insures seal is closed. Just letting it snap back on it's own often works but occasionally doesn't close flapper completely.

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Those seals have a right side up

But like the previous poster said you have a poorly molded plastic shi--ter,
Replace it

Those units as u know already are two nuts an replace a hose clamp simple list fix,

If it's from an upside down seal your water should slowly drain. An give u enough time to have water In the bowl. Useable but I'm sure your thinking of the extra holding tank water your using. Let's us know how it turns out

rode2nowhere
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dometic 310 also, it has a hairline crack in the flapper thing. And of course dometic says its not a replaceable part

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
If someone's sticking a toilet brush down past the valve, it's easy to dislodge the seal, the wife does it all the time on our 310 and the fix is easy. There is a procedure from Thetford that calls for re-seating the seal and filling the boil with nearly boiling water and let it sit for a while. Maybe somebody can post this procedure as I can't get to it right now. Works every time.

Does Dometic Have the Thetford line. It was my understanding that the Thetford line was part of NORCOLD. If so the Hot water fix might not be the thing to do on a DOMETIC product.
jwmII

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
If someone's sticking a toilet brush down past the valve, it's easy to dislodge the seal, the wife does it all the time on our 310 and the fix is easy. There is a procedure from Thetford that calls for re-seating the seal and filling the boil with nearly boiling water and let it sit for a while. Maybe somebody can post this procedure as I can't get to it right now. Works every time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I've had this problem numerous times over the past few years (every 3 months or so). When the bowl doesn't hold water anymore, I put on a latex glove, grab a good dab of vaseline and work it around the upper and lower edge of the rubber seal. I have found that mineral deposits and other nastys coat the seal surfaces over time causing voids. It just needs to be cleaned real good and lubed. The works well for me.
It isn't for the faint of heart but give it a try. Btw, turn off water first and don't have the bath fan on.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
lovetotow wrote:
My in laws have a 2008 cougar, they had to get in the slot where the seal fits into with toothpicks to clean small pieces of toilet paper that gets chopped off when the bladder closes too fast

X2, but I don't know about using toothpicks. I use a piece of a coat hanger with the end bent into an "L" shape to clean out the particles that are stuck. I also leave water in the bowl to keep the seal moist. Some have told me not to do that but, if you don't the seal will dry out and will not hold water. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

lovetotow
Explorer
Explorer
My in laws have a 2008 cougar, they had to get in the slot where the seal fits into with toothpicks to clean small pieces of toilet paper that gets chopped off when the bladder closes too fast
Dale & Lynda
2018 ford F250 4x4
2011 cruiser 32bl 5th wheel

100ton
Explorer
Explorer
I had good results with this issue by removing the water and adding a cup or two of vegetable oil and letting it set for a while. Although, since you have already tried replacing the seal, this may not be the solution in your case. Let us know once you find the remedy.
'05 Ford F250 Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, Short Bed, Camper & Tow Package, Limited Slip Differential
'05 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29RK
PullRite 16K SuperGlide

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
its time to throw it out,, sounds like its a defect in the plastic mold . I,d quit fooling with it, and buy the wife a nice birthday present.. A NEW THRONE.