cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tool For Removing Those One Way Screws ?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Friend swears there is a tool for removing those one way screws, asked me if I had one. I said, yeah, its called a drill, or a cutting wheel. He still says there is a special tool for it.
Using just a little bit of my common sense, tells me there ain't one,
And there can't be one.
What say you all ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.
22 REPLIES 22

Ron_Schulz
Explorer
Explorer
Used them for years while servicing microwave ovens. Hard to turn but workable..
Ron & Sue Schulz, fur-child Lilly
Proud Army Dad
US Navy/Vietnam Vet.
Retired Service Tech- 34 years

Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
Shhh, don't tell anyone, but if you stop by Harbor Freight, they have a couple of bit assortments that have a bunch of different style security bits.

This set works. There are different types of security screws and Harbor Freight has an inexpensive set of different security screw bits. I had to remove a lock that was installed with one way screws and one of the bits from this set took it right out. These sets are also often found at tool discount stores and tool stands at flea markets.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled some out using needle nose pliers.

Of course, when I'm putting in screws that I never want to see removed, I'll use the type (like the ones from Fastenright) called shear screws where it has a portion break off once in place, so there is no way anything outside of a Dremel can get any turning leverage. I also couple that with a good amount of Loctite Red which pretty much ensures that screw is staying in place for good.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
You will mar up the surface abit , but have had very good success using vise-grips on several of those one way screws-bolts...
Both straight on and gripping them from the side ,,, hence the marring marks on the surface they were screwed into...

Needs to be a decent pair too , not the cheaper ones with no bite at the tip !

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm.....I always used an ez-out.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
There is a tool, I have one. It has a couple of very sharp hardened teeth. You have to apply a lot of pressure when backing out the screw to prevent slippage. If you work on commercial bathroom partitions it is a must have item.

Did you also know there is a tool for spinning nails into hard woods? It is one of my favorite tools. It eliminates the two step process of drilling a hole and then hammering the nail.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
If it isn't too tight you could try putting a rubber band on the head between the screw and the driver then trying it. Probably as effective as the special tools.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have had one of the screwdrivers with the two carbide dowels sticking out to grip the slope of the head. We had millions of those screws in traffic signal equipment and they do work well. I have a set of the security screw driver bits and so far they work well too. Got my 100 bit set from Harbor Freight.

You may have a hard time buying a top quality screwdriver without showing the wholesaler that you have a legitimate reason for one. They are one of the ultimate security screws.

I use them for mounting my license plates. They do not corrode very much.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Steve1950 wrote:
Screw removal tools are available. find a screw supply company. they look like a regular screwdriver, the working end has two hardened tips that hold unto the screw to back out.

Yeah, I was thinking you could probably use one of those reverse-threaded bits that are for removing stripped screws.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wd
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a hacksaw or a thin grinding wheel to grind a slot in the head of the screw.

Steve1950
Explorer
Explorer
Screw removal tools are available. find a screw supply company. they look like a regular screwdriver, the working end has two hardened tips that hold unto the screw to back out.
00 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4
13 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite Ultra Edition 207-S

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
Shhh, don't tell anyone, but if you stop by Harbor Freight, they have a couple of bit assortments that have a bunch of different style security bits.

I have several sets of them get them for 10 bucks I give a set to my return customers

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Air Chisel and a drill.