cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Totable Black Water Tank.

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, we are looking at camping for a week at the end of the month at at a place that has water, electric, but no sewer. There are 4 of us two adults and two teenagers. Even if we use the campground facilities as much as possible I am concerned that our tanks will fill up before our time camping is done.

So I am looking at one of those towable extra black water tanks. Does anyone have an opinion on them or recommendations. The campground does not have a dump site either so we will have to transport it to a dump place somewhere else. I was looking at this one from Amazon, because I have Prime membership and can get free shipping and it looked big enough to not have us have to do this to often. So please tell me what do you think.
๐Ÿ™‚

http://www.amazon.com/Barker-Manufacturing-27844-4-Wheeler-Tote-Along/dp/B000BGM89Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_3#productDetails

Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy
18 REPLIES 18

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with ron3rd, get a four wheel version. Some will recommend changing tires out pneumatic. Our thetford is a 35 gallon 4 wheeled version. I can move it around over grass and uneven rocky ground when full, but it does take some work. We have not changed our tires out for pneumatic.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32 gal Barker Tote we bought off Amazon about 5 years ago and are very satisfied. We've never needed to use it for the black tank and only use it for the grey tank as showers are the thing that fills up your grey tank fast. Some use it for the black tank too but we've never had to. I've got a 2 wheel tote but recommend the 4 wheel model if you've got the extra $$ as it's easier to maneuver. Wish I'd gotten the 4 wheel tote but didn't know any better at the time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
The manufacturers (and most of us) recommend not towing it more than 5mph.

If you are that far away from a dump station, then you need to either find another way to do it. Or figure out how to empty the tanks into the tote will its in the back of your truck bed. The tote filled is gonna weigh around 250lbs.

You can always, just hook up the camper and tow it down to the dump station and bring it back. We have a tote (Thetford brand) and have only used it for gray water, never black. I only want to deal the black water once and not twice. And hopefully it won't spring a leak or bust on you.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
with most black tanks and most situations, needing a tote tank isn't needed.
it's the gray tank that's going to need it way before a black tank.

unless you're staying in one place, without sewer hookups, for more than a week or have a small black tank, you'll easily be able to dump the black tank at the dump station when you leave.

but the gray tank is a way different storage. too many people worry about the dreaded black tank when the gray tank is the one to worry about.

i have a tote tank and still have never needed it for the black tank.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The totes sold at camping world have handles that fit on your ball so you can tow them. And yes, you can haul black water - use gloves of course. Unless you see signs stating otherwise. The blue tote hose seems to have a better design though. I bought one at camping world and use it for both tanks - and yes, at Florida state parks... It has a hose connection you hook up to to clean it out.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I just leave the tote tank in my truck's bed and use a macerator pump to fill it. Then, at a dump station, I pull it forward a bit, attach a sewage hose to the side, and let gravity do the job.

This is a lot easier on the old back than trying to lug around a full tank.

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
It is a very good investment. I bought a 35 gal one three years ago when we were going on a one week trip. I never used it. Last year went camping with other family members with trailers and my brother had some newbies and filled up both gray tanks in one night. They didn't realize when doing dishes and taking showers without sewer hook up you can't let the water run. Well we had to dump 70 gallons of gray and it was the first time I used it and it was worth it's weight in gold when your in a situation like that. It is always in the bed of my truck when ever we hit the road. Just make sure they have a dump station within their camp grounds, you will never be able to lift it in your truck alone your looking at about 270 lbs. to lift if needed too.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used a blue 4 wheel tote for a summer. The campground did have a dump station. It worked very well. I don't know how big your tanks are, but the grey will fill first. With 2 adults never using the campground facilities, we made our black tank last 5 days. If we had used their facilities during the day, we could have lasted probably 10 days. I wouldn't attempt to use one that had to be hauled out of the campground -- way too heavy.

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys so much, I think I have figured it out. Your help is as always AMAZING!!
Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search this Forum for `blue tote'. Lots of opinions.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
ntjpmm wrote:
I agree completely that the Gray water will get filled first, my assumption was that I could use the same tote to tote away the gray water if needed.

Yes I can tote away the stuff the campground is fine with it.

What I really want to know is if you have used one and if you recommend it? Can you really hook it up to your hitch ball and tote it down the freeway to a rest area dump station??

Tracy in WA

I have had a tote tank for 9 years and use it often, mostly gray water and sometimes black.

I would never trust towing it past about 5-10mph.

I even upgraded the wheels from plastic to inflated rubber ones.

If you need to leave the campground, then get help to pick it up into the tow vehicle or find another solution (macerator pump into tank already lifted into tow vehicle).

So it a NO GO on towing it through regular city streets or highways.

Steve

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
get one that has 4 wheels and is not over 27 gallons. This way if you have to roll it around it is a lot easier than one with 2 wheels
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

grandpalarry
Explorer
Explorer
Tracy
The tank you are looking at is going to be very heavy (32 gal X 9 lbs +32 lbs for the tote ). No you can't tow it down the highway.
Camping in a no sewer park, no dump means you will have to load the dump tank on a trailer that is highway worthey and haul it to wherever to dump.
I donโ€™t need anger management-I just need people to stop pissing me off.
Vancouver, WA
2006 Holiday Rambler DP

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
ntjpmm wrote:
we will have to transport it to a dump place somewhere else.
You won't likely be towing it very far, or filling it up all the way. Water is heavy. And it'll be gray water, not black.

Tote posts

THANK you for the "tote" link I tired every variation of the concept and just couldn't get anything to hit when I searched. I appreciate it.

Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy