cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Bar Recommendation - Blue Ox

bamaspiveys
Explorer
Explorer
Setting up my 2015 Jeep Wrangler to be a TOAD. I went with the blue ox base plate now I am trying to decide on the tow bar.

The Alpha is rated for 6500# and that is plenty to cover the jeep weight.

However, is there a reason I would want to consider a higher grade tow bar?
The Avail or Aventa or Aladdin?
Never going to tow anything but the jeep so I think anything above the Alpha is overkill and paying for capacity I don't need.
11 REPLIES 11

boomersooner198
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2016 Ford F150 4x4. Although I currently have a trailer, I plan on buying a class A diesel in about 5 years prior to retirement. I have looked at the different 4 down methods, like the Ready Brake Elite, but was concerned about the battery and keeping it charged. From everything I have seen the Ready Brake Elite is the best thing for towing. Thanks to all for the information you have provided.
Bob and Brenda
Army Retired / Army Veteran
Sooner, Sumay, and Tex (German Shepherd, Walker Treeing Coon Hound, Mutt)
2011 Coachmen Catalina 24RBS towed by 2016 Ford F150 Crew Cab

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
boomersooner1986 wrote:
For those using the Ready Brute Elite, what do you use (or do you) to maintain the battery charge? Or is this even an issue?

Since the Ready Brake does not use any power, the answer is whatever your car's owner's manual says. My Subaru has no battery drain so no charge line is necessary. If your car says pull a fuse, either pull the fuse or install a charge line.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
BTW- The Ready Brute and probably other brands are available with Blue Ox compatible attachments.

Norm
F1BNorm

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
boomersooner1986 wrote:
For those using the Ready Brute Elite, what do you use (or do you) to maintain the battery charge? Or is this even an issue?

This depends on the car. Our Honda will drain the car batt. Had I known that when the wiring went in, I would have added a charge line. Being lazy, I just installed a simple battery disconnect. Ready Brute needs no power to operate.

Norm
F1BNorm

boomersooner198
Explorer
Explorer
Bob and Brenda
Army Retired / Army Veteran
Sooner, Sumay, and Tex (German Shepherd, Walker Treeing Coon Hound, Mutt)
2011 Coachmen Catalina 24RBS towed by 2016 Ford F150 Crew Cab

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for the Ready Brute Elite. A two-fer, tow bar AND brakes.

I have a Blue Ox baseplate on my car and use the Ready Brute Elite.

If getting a new car, I would go with the same system.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the Ready Brute system and installed it myself on my 2006 Liberty. Took it slow and finished in about 6 hours(really slow). Cost of system was half versus other systems. Works great; highly recommend.
Kennyg

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Second on the Ready Brute Elite system, for little more than the tow bar 7500# you get the braking system too. Plus if your handy at all you can install in a couple hours and there is no electronics to go wrong.

LEN

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a supplemental braking system for the Jeep. It can be built into the Jeep. It can also be a "box" like Brake Buddy or Patriot.

OR... I can be built into the Tow Bar, such as Ready Brute Elite. It can be ordered with the connectors (they call them "clevis") for various base plates including Blue Ox.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I had an Alpha when I had the Class A and it is easy to hook up no need to pay for more tow bar than you need.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
My Avail is a breeze to unhook - I upgraded from a 6 year old Blue Ox
Worth the money just for that
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks