cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Dolly Brake and Dinghy brake lites

dmctlc
Explorer
Explorer
So I just got my Acme Tow Dolly with Surge brakes and very impressed with the quality of it. Of course time will tell but now that I have it I thought I was all set with electrical hoop up by going with wireless lites for the car but neglected to realize that though the dolly has surge brakes it still has a need for electrical hook up for it's own braking lites. I guess when towing I could leave the tow dolly lites off and just use the dinghy lites but wondering what others do? Does anyone have a similar set up out there and do have a set up for using both? I'm sure I could figure something out but even at my age I'm always open to suggestions from more experienced folks.
Thxs:)
Dana & wife Terri
Daughter - Stephanie
Granddaughter - Callie (9 y/o)
Son - Phillip
Granddaughter - Charlotte (1 1/2 y/o)
American Cocker Spaniel- Shadow
2018 Georgetown Series 5 GT5 31L5
8 REPLIES 8

mike2wheels
Explorer
Explorer
Our Endeavor has a 7-blade connector. I use this adapter to connect both the dolly lights and the car lights. Both are LED so the drain is low. Although the adapter takes a 4-pole connector and a 5-pole connector, it works with 2 4-pole trailer connectors.

wiring adapter
2005 Honda Gold Wing
2006 HR Endeavor 40PAQ

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
I have used my Demco for nearly 10 years with no lights on the toad. Also you can buy a 7 to 4 adapter at walley world for about $7.

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
I also purchased an ACME tow dolly 2 months ago. It is the electric brake version. I have not used it yet. I will be in the next 4 weeks. I wired (added) and Emergency Break Away Kit (Electric brake version do not come with emergency brakes. The surge brake version do have the Emergency Brake Away Kit). I also added (wired) a 4 pin outlet and bolted it right on the tow dolly frame, to be used for the towed car brake/turn lights. I will have both tow dolly AND towed car brake/turn lights functioning at the same time. Purchased everything I needed for the project from Etrailer.

jk31668
Explorer
Explorer
when i got a master tow dolly i had to have my rv mechanic rewire the 7 point connector that came installed from the factory. none of the functions were right. he had a gizzmo that showed him what needed to go where.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two connectors on the motorhome. One I use for the magnetic lights and the other to hook the tow dolly too. Splicing another pig tail in would probably be the easiest way to go.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
A friend of ours has his tow dollies set up with an additional connector spliced into the regular dolly wiring for the wired magnetic lights he sticks on the vehicle in tow. I've had trucks that I wired with multiple trailer connectors at the hitch to accommodate different trailer configurations. Even splicing two of the same connectors together for a situation similar to yours is not unheard of.

This is what I did. Easy!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The next time you see a one ton dually pickup, look at the marker lights on the rear fenders. They are there because they are required by State Laws and Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Since your dolly is wider than the vehicle being towed, the lights on the fenders are required by law, and must be operational.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend of ours has his tow dollies set up with an additional connector spliced into the regular dolly wiring for the wired magnetic lights he sticks on the vehicle in tow. I've had trucks that I wired with multiple trailer connectors at the hitch to accommodate different trailer configurations. Even splicing two of the same connectors together for a situation similar to yours is not unheard of.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate