bjroadshow
Explorer
Explorer
is it neccessary to have an extra braking system on the tow vehicle
19 REPLIES 19

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes.... You'll stop quicker and like Dennis said above, you'll have brakes engaged if your toad becomes disconnected from the MH. Disconnections occur.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

BUTCHPHI
Explorer
Explorer
It is safe to say that any working supplemental braking system will stop the combined motorhome and towed vehicle in a shorter distance no matter the size of the rigs. I think that is safe to say that whatever that reduction, it is only important if that extra distance would have prevented a collision which could result in serious damage, injury or death in that particular instance and that really is the bottom line. Will you ever be in that situation??, probably not, but if you are the unfortunate one to have it happen to you then you will realize that all the rationalization in the world means nothing.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
bjroadshow wrote:

Every rig will stop quicker with a supplemental braking system on the towed vehicle and even if just a little bit on the larger rigs and lighter toads. So, with that said, yes it is necessary.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
As a finally retired LEO after 32 years and now towing a toad for 3 years, I am all in when it comes to an auxiliary braking system and everything necessary to keep the toad from launching down the highway on its own. One of my favorite caveats in life personally and professionally is, "Fortune favors the prepared mind".
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
kaydeejay wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
My tow bar fastens to plates fabricated and bolted through the aftermarket bumper into the jeeps frame using grade 8 bolts. My safety cables are fastened to the frame of the jeep. Not getting away. I don't trust manufactured baseplates after looking at some of them.
You are in great shape. I wish all hookups were as robust as yours. The chance of you having a runaway is pretty much zero!

If you have an aftermarket bumper on your jeep a decent welding shop cam build a custom fit for your application and much less than a baseplate. Friend had his pickup suddenly appear in his mirror as the baseplate failed and it was one of well known manufacturing. He was able to bring everything to a safe stop. The baseplate was removed, a welder reinforced and repaired the poor welds and he tows that full size GM like butter. How many inspect their gear after it's installed or just rely on what the seller told them. Preventive maintenance is important.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
My tow bar fastens to plates fabricated and bolted through the aftermarket bumper into the jeeps frame using grade 8 bolts. My safety cables are fastened to the frame of the jeep. Not getting away. I don't trust manufactured baseplates after looking at some of them.
You are in great shape. I wish all hookups were as robust as yours. The chance of you having a runaway is pretty much zero!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
kaydeejay wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
"Second consideration - if the toad breaks away, what is going to stop it? Let's hope it's a barrier or a tree, not a minivan full of a family of kids."
What are the safety chains for? If the toad breaks away it may be banging away at the back of your coach but if the chains/cables are unable to hold it back there why bother to put them on? For the amount of toads being moved everyday verses how many have actually gotten loose the odds of it happening are slim. Like flying, some do crash but not very often.
I agree with having all available safety features but why chains/cables if they don't do anything or the concern is they won't do anything.Just install a breakaway braking system.
There have been instances of the hitch plate breaking away from the toad. Unless there are safety chains at the toad end as well as the MoHo then there is a vehicle on the loose! Absolutely a rare occurrence but don't say it can't happen!

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
"Second consideration - if the toad breaks away, what is going to stop it? Let's hope it's a barrier or a tree, not a minivan full of a family of kids."
What are the safety chains for? If the toad breaks away it may be banging away at the back of your coach but if the chains/cables are unable to hold it back there why bother to put them on? For the amount of toads being moved everyday verses how many have actually gotten loose the odds of it happening are slim. Like flying, some do crash but not very often.
I agree with having all available safety features but why chains/cables if they don't do anything or the concern is they won't do anything.Just install a breakaway braking system.
There have been instances of the hitch plate breaking away from the toad. Unless there are safety chains at the toad end as well as the MoHo then there is a vehicle on the loose! Absolutely a rare occurrence but don't say it can't happen!
Keith J.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
kaydeejay wrote:
bjroadshow wrote:
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm assuming you are asking if you need an auxiliary braking system on a vehicle you are towing behind a motorhome? Also known as a Toad.

I don't know what the LAW requires in BC (or anywhere in Canada for that matter) but, as others have stated, there are some States that require brakes on the toad.

Regardless of the legalities, the Law of Physics comes into play. An unbraked toad will increase your EMERGENCY stopping distance - period!
How much it increases it will depend on the weight of the toad as a percentage of the weight of the towing vehicle.
If you have a 20,000# motorhome with a 4000# toad behind it, without brakes your "stand on the pedal" stopping distance will increase by 20%. Enough to put you into the back of a semi-trailer or the back seat of the car that stopped in front of you.

Second consideration - if the toad breaks away, what is going to stop it? Let's hope it's a barrier or a tree, not a minivan full of a family of kids.

Bottom line? - get brakes!

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
bjroadshow wrote:
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm assuming you are asking if you need an auxiliary braking system on a vehicle you are towing behind a motorhome? Also known as a Toad.

I don't know what the LAW requires in BC (or anywhere in Canada for that matter) but, as others have stated, there are some States that require brakes on the toad.

Regardless of the legalities, the Law of Physics comes into play. An unbraked toad will increase your EMERGENCY stopping distance - period!
How much it increases it will depend on the weight of the toad as a percentage of the weight of the towing vehicle.
If you have a 20,000# motorhome with a 4000# toad behind it, without brakes your "stand on the pedal" stopping distance will increase by 20%. Enough to put you into the back of a semi-trailer or the back seat of the car that stopped in front of you.

Second consideration - if the toad breaks away, what is going to stop it? Let's hope it's a barrier or a tree, not a minivan full of a family of kids.

Bottom line? - get brakes!
Keith J.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
mtrumpet wrote:
C'mon guys, lighten up on the guy. He's a "new member". Clearly, he's referring to an auxiliary braking system for the toad.

Who is being rude to the new member?
His question is vague and confusing? We are only trying to clarify so that we can help.

His question: "is it neccessary to have an extra braking system on the tow vehicle." This doesn't mean that he is specifically meaning a toad.

I have a "tow vehicle" and it's not a toad.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if he comes back to clarify his question.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
mtrumpet wrote:
C'mon guys, lighten up on the guy. He's a "new member". Clearly, he's referring to an auxiliary braking system for the toad.

Who is being rude to the new member?
His question is vague and confusing? We are only trying to clarify so that we can help.

His question: "is it neccessary to have an extra braking system on the tow vehicle." This doesn't mean that he is specifically meaning a toad.

I have a "tow vehicle" and it's not a toad.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
mtrumpet wrote:

My answer to the question is, yes, you should use one. Many states here require it while others do not. However, much safer to use one, law or not.

X2 We are using Invisibrake system on our towed vehicle.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)