Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 2019 Chevy Colorado 4-Down

drifterpilot
Explorer
Explorer
My owners manual states the following:

CAUTION. Failure to disconnect the negative battery cable or to have it contact the terminals can cause damage to the vehicle.

Can anyone explain this statement or is it just to CYA (Chevrolet)?

I utilize the Blue Ox Towing System with the BrakeBuddy auxiliary braking system. I need an active 12-volt connector to power it. I am aware that I can connect the 12-volt socket right to the battery.

I really don't want to disconnect the neg batt cable every time I set up to tow.

Does anyone flat tow a toad successfully without disconnecting the neg batt cable even though their manual states otherwise?

Thanks
2017 Allegro 34P
7,900 Miles, Ford V10
Winegard (in-motion tracking)
Blue Ox Avail
Brake Buddy
6 REPLIES 6

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
It is very easy to reach and disconnect.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Run 12v from RV to a dedicated cig lighter style plug in for your brake buddy plus what SidecarFlip says. Or run 12v direct from battery to dedicated cig lighter plug-in that will not be effected when neg terminal is disconnected.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
IB853347201 wrote:
drifterpilot wrote:

CAUTION. Failure to disconnect the negative battery cable or to have it contact the terminals can cause damage to the vehicle.

I believe that disconnecting is required to disable the electric power steering feature of the Colorado. If left on every time you turn or enter a corner the power steering will constantly try to center the wheels which will cause the truck to wobble back and forth while towing.

Exactly why.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go on Amazon and purchase a knife style battery disconnect switch (like 20 bucks) and dsconnect the battery. Takes all of 5 seconds.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI really don't want to disconnect the neg batt cable every time I set up to towโ€

With the right equipment it can be a switch flip.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
drifterpilot wrote:

I believe that disconnecting is required to disable the electric power steering feature of the Colorado. If left on every time you turn or enter a corner the power steering will constantly try to center the wheels which will cause the truck to wobble back and forth while towing.
2010 Suncruiser