cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a 2008 2dr Jeep Wrangler

BlackJeep22
Explorer
Explorer
First time motorhome owner. We just purchased a 2016 Coachman Concord 300DS (Class C), 32'.
Eventually, we will be towing my (manual transmission) Wrangler.
1)Can anyone recommend a good towbar?
2)Am I required to have the tail lights and break lights hooked up on the Wrangler?
Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15

BlackJeep22
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
We tow our Wrangler with a Ready Brute. It has the brake integrated into the tow bar. It takes me three minutes by myself to completely hook or unhook it - the simplest towing system on the road. For the lights, I got a Mopar wiring harness (Part # 82211156AB). Much easier than messing with adding bulbs or magnetic lights - just plug it into the 7-pin.

As for a baseplate, the Ready Brute has adapters for Blue Ox and other base plates. However, if you off-road, you may not want to lose the ground clearance. In that case, you can go with a custom bumper like we did (Rockhard Bumper).

Very cool. Looks like the best option. Thanks!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
BlackJeep22 wrote:
First time motorhome owner. We just purchased a 2016 Coachman Concord 300DS (Class C), 32'.
Eventually, we will be towing my (manual transmission) Wrangler.
1)Can anyone recommend a good towbar?
2)Am I required to have the tail lights and break lights hooked up on the Wrangler?
Thanks in advance.

Our Falcon 2 has worked well for 5 years. bought cheap on e-bay. we tow a 07 Wrangler, get the proper info on the steering lock, and which position the key needs to be in to unlock the steering. plus if the key needs to be in "Run " position disconnect the battery. many will tell you to pull the fuse, but on ours that doesn't work.

you can always up grade the front bumper and tow with the standard "A" type tow bar. but it's tricky to hook up with 1 person.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We tow our Wrangler with a Ready Brute. It has the brake integrated into the tow bar. It takes me three minutes by myself to completely hook or unhook it - the simplest towing system on the road. For the lights, I got a Mopar wiring harness (Part # 82211156AB). Much easier than messing with adding bulbs or magnetic lights - just plug it into the 7-pin.

As for a baseplate, the Ready Brute has adapters for Blue Ox and other base plates. However, if you off-road, you may not want to lose the ground clearance. In that case, you can go with a custom bumper like we did (Rockhard Bumper).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
BlackJeep22 wrote:
mowermech wrote:

You can't use it with your Jeep, but it would be great for my PT cruiser.
Well, yes, you CAN use it for your Jeep, but you have to get under it once it is on the dolly and remove the rear drive shaft!
I had a dolly once, used it to tow the PT from MT to Tenn. and back. No problems. But, silly me, I sold it. I do wish I would have kept it!

Why couldn't I just put my manual tranny and transfer case BOTH in neutral?

READ and FOLLOW the instructions in the Owners Manual!

For your convenience, they have been posted.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
From the JK OM:

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

BlackJeep22
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:

Well, yes, you CAN use it for your Jeep, but you have to get under it once it is on the dolly and remove the rear drive shaft!
I had a dolly once, used it to tow the PT from MT to Tenn. and back. No problems. But, silly me, I sold it. I do wish I would have kept it!

Why couldn't I just put my manual tranny and transfer case BOTH in neutral?

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
BlackJeep22 wrote:
This is ALL great info. Thanks!
What do you guys think about a "Tow Dolly"? A buddy of mine says his neighbor has one that he can have for free. My buddy said I could have it.

CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

avan
Explorer
Explorer
IMO Tow Dolly = PITA. My experience is from nearly 40 yrs ago but it doesn't appear to me that tow dollies have changed much. For me, they took longer and were dirtier to hookup than any other means. The tow dolly was almost always in the way on a campsite. 1 campsite with a MH, a car and a tow dolly. Lots of equipment for one site. So why take longer and a dirtier procedure? Assume you have all your equipment on the site and it is raining when you want to leave.

Towing 4 down, you pull your toad in line with and at the proper distance from the MH (while you're still dry inside the toad). Hop out and put 2 pins in the connection between base plate and tow bar. Attach electrical connection and 2 breakaway cables. Put toad in neutral, turn off key and go. You can do the hookup with one arm while the other holds an umbrella if you wish.

Now with a tow dolly. Horse the tow dolly into place behind MH (while you get wet) or back the MH to the tow dolly. Hook the dolly to the MH using the old fashioned hitch coupler. Hook up the same electrical connections and breakaway cables. Now line up the car with the dolly and drive it onto the dolly (not always the easiest) and put car in neutral and turn off key. Get out the 2 wheel tie down nets and put them around the front wet muddy wheels of the car. Then cinch them down. Guarantee that you will be wetter and dirtier and will have spent 5X or more minutes.

Reference made above to needing brakes. Auto Stop and the Ready Brake systems are mechanical surge brakes not requiring any electrical brake wiring nor any wired in box on the toad's floorboard mechanically attached to the brake pedal (another kneel down on the ground to attach apparatus and another apparatus to store when in camp). Surge brakes were typically used on boat trailers, are simple and effective and create zero storage issues.
www.putt10.net

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
BlackJeep22 wrote:
What do you guys think about a "Tow Dolly"? A buddy of mine says his neighbor has one that he can have for free. My buddy said I could have it.

If it's a 4X4 it can only be towed 4 Down or on a trailer without causing drivetrain damage period.

BlackJeep22
Explorer
Explorer

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
You also need a toad braking system in most places....

Almost, but not quite true. Many states do not have a legal requirement for brakes on a towed motor vehicle. However, many states (and the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) have Braking Performance Laws. You must be able to stop your combination of vehicles in a certain distance (usually 40 or 45 feet) from a certain speed (usually 20 MPH) when on a level, clean, hard surface (like a paved parking lot).
As for what towbar to use, ANY towbar will do the job! I towed an assortment of Jeeps for many years with a simple fixed arm adjustable width towbar by Reese (I think it was a Reese..). Anyway, I see a similar bar at Walmart for $165. It did the job very nicely.
You can get a very good telescoping towbar with integrated braking system from NSA/Ready Brute that will work very well on your Jeep. The braking system is a surge type, with no electronics at all. Simple and effective. It will cost around $1000 for the full setup.
Check out the Ready Brute website for more information.
Disclaimer: I do not own one, nor do I have any affiliation with the company.
For a long time I used a set of Harbor Freight magnetic mount lights for towing.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Delete (accidental double post)...

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You also need a toad braking system in most places....

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Blue ox, YES you need lights hook up
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ