cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to start towing our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited behind our MH. I have the base plate on it and an RVIBrake2 for it and a Roadmaster tow bar. It is 4 down towable and I know how to get it into neutral for towing. It has the keyless start. So my question is does the ignition need to be left in ACC to keep the steering wheel from locking? I have parked it on gravel and shut off the engine and turned the wheel and it didn't lock up so I'm thinking that it does not need to be in ACC.

There is nothing in the manual telling me to leave it in ACC. It just goes through the steps I go through to put the xnfer case into neutral and how to put it back into gear.

Thanks,
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View
3 REPLIES 3

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.

It well be ignition off and tow away.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
There is no steering column lock on the newer JGC's. After following the procedure to put the t-case into neutral the ignition system should be kept off while towing.

To double check that this is true try turning the steering wheel with the ignition in the off position. It will be hard to turn with no power steering but it will turn.

There you have it direct from engineering!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Butch50 wrote:
I'm going to start towing our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited behind our MH. I have the base plate on it and an RVIBrake2 for it and a Roadmaster tow bar. It is 4 down towable and I know how to get it into neutral for towing. It has the keyless start. So my question is does the ignition need to be left in ACC to keep the steering wheel from locking? I have parked it on gravel and shut off the engine and turned the wheel and it didn't lock up so I'm thinking that it does not need to be in ACC.

There is nothing in the manual telling me to leave it in ACC. It just goes through the steps I go through to put the xnfer case into neutral and how to put it back into gear.

Thanks,

Butch, there should be a section in your owner's manual entitled Recreational Towing or something similar. suggest you check that.

when we to our 2010 Liberty the transfer case goes to neutral and the transmission goes to park. the steering wheel does not lock so there is no need to keep the key in the ignition. best to check your manual or, failing that, give Jeep (not the dealer) a call. but I'd say that if your steering wheel does not lock then you should be good to go.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle