cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a 2016 VW GTI

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
For those interested it is now possible to setup a 2016 VW GTI with manual transmission for 4 wheels down towing. Blue OX now has a base plate for this car - mine was the 1st to be equipped with it. See attached photo below.

To eliminate the need to have the ignition switch in the ON position so that the steering would be unlocked, I had a mechanic disassemble the steering stack and use a carbide cutting tool to cut off the pin that locks the steering. Also, this VW's 12 VDC power receptacles are not powered when the ignition switch is OFF and key removed. However, the yellow 20 amp plug in fuse in the fuse holder under the driver's side dash can be unplugged and moved to a 2nd plug in location that changes these receptacles so they stay hot with the key removed so that you can power a braking systems such as the Brake Buddy or the Blue Ox Patriot.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad
20 REPLIES 20

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
I used to tow a Cutlass with Brake Buddy and used the prime mover to furnish 12V to power the BB. I also had a disconnect switch on the Cutlass. You only need one extra wire for the 12V to an add on cigarette lighter socket.
Marvin

Not a good practice. The brakes should be powered from the towed and equipped with a breakaway switch. If your towed came loose it would not stop.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow a Cutlass with Brake Buddy and used the prime mover to furnish 12V to power the BB. I also had a disconnect switch on the Cutlass. You only need one extra wire for the 12V to an add on cigarette lighter socket.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
luvlabs wrote:
Volkswagen is weird about saying whether or not their manual transmissions can be towed.

They sure are. My 2012 Jetta 5 speed manual had a section in the user manual on emergency towing and even described how to tow the car with a ROPE! They also mentioned that a rigid tow bar could be attached to the tow-eye screw hole on the front bumper, which seemed like a disaster waiting to happen. It went on to mention that the car could be towed 4 down without restrictions if a manual transmission. My 2014 Passat with I assume to be the same 5 speed manual cannot be towed 4 down at all, according to the user manual.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
It might have been easier just to add a 12V charge line than to mess with your ignition/steering lock. By modifying the steering wheel lock, you did increase your vulnerability to theft.

Volkswagen is weird about saying whether or not their manual transmissions can be towed. Hope it works well for you because if it doesn't, be prepared for big out of pocket expenses.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, various VW models with manual transmissions can be towed 4-wheels down even though the owners manual does not have a RV Towing section in it addressing the issue. The Golf and Beetle models seems to be the most popular versions towed.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

bayoubelle
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused, so some vehicles can be towed even though they aren't listed on remco's site?
Former 5ver owner
Upgrading to a Class C