cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a RAV 4 2011 base with a 2003 Four Winds Majestic 23P

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to tow our Rav 4 2011 Base with our motorhome, a 2003 Ford F-350 SD XL 2WD DRW, Four Winds Majestic 23P.

I would like to ask about:

(a) Is this a good idea? We know why we want to do it, see more when we travel. What are the disadvantages.

(b) We live in BC and will travel in BC and the US. Is there a list of which states require brake lights to be wired. I understand that adds alot to the cost.

(c) I called a local fitter who would be happy to charge labour if I bought the parts. I would be buying Blue Ox towbars and baseplates. I would leave the wiring to them as I dont know enough. Is Blue Ox a good brand? If there is any choice in my situation for Blue Ox, which towbar and baseplate should I go for?

Apologies if this has been answered already; I've had the RV for a year and still feel like a newbie in this area..

Best wishes

Pommy
9 REPLIES 9

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a Remco pump on our 2011 RAV4 Sport, along with a Blue Ox base plate and have towed it for about 10,000 miles with no issues. We also towed our 2002 RAV4 about 35,000 miles with the same setup, and also no issues. Our dealer has not mentioned any potential warranty issues, and has even been looking into offering the pump and base plate sales and installation as a service to motorhome owners. They took lots of pictures of my installation for reference. Note that Blue Ox only lists the base plate for the Sport (the last I checked), but the base model and the Sport have identical front ends, so it should fit both. Only the Limited has a different grill opening layout where the base plate might not fit without some ugly body work.

Oh, and neither our car or motorhome insurance carrier know or apparently care that we're towing the car. Our car insurance agent does know we tow though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pommyg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I had a look in the owners manual and it says it cant be towed flat. It would need modification. Has anyone installed a lube kit? Does it affect warranty or insurance?

ronfisherman
Moved from Class C.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
you need to go to http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php and enter the info on your RAV4 to see if it is towable and what needs to be modified to make it towable. I think you would have had better results to you questions if this had been posted in the Dinghy Towing forum. Dick

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
braeworth wrote:
I own a 2012 6-cylinder Rav4,and the manual says it cannot be flat-towed or even dolly-towed. Has to be all 4 up, and dollies are heavy!

braeworth

If it is a 2WD (front drive) RAV4 you can tow it on a dolly.
My dolly only weighed 250#. We towed my wife's 96 RAV4 2WD for over 5-6 years before we bought a 2004 Honda Pilot and set it up for towing 4 down.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

braeworth
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2012 6-cylinder Rav4,and the manual says it cannot be flat-towed or even dolly-towed. Has to be all 4 up, and dollies are heavy!

braeworth

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Check Remco to verify that your Rav4 can be towed without a transmission pump, I don't know of ant Toyota that can be. I tow a 2010 Base 4WD, the pump, and Blue Ox base plate and light kit cost me $2500 installed in Houston, Tx. I really like towing my old Suzuki Sidekick better.

I guess you can back up anything you want, however you want, I backed a 10,000# boat on a trailer with surge brakes before in found out how to lock out the surge. Big 4x4 pickup in low range, but got it done. Look at the photo in the sig of the poster who suggested that you back by locking the wheel...is your front end as light as the old VW, will it slid sideways as easy ? I would recommend against it.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
By all means, go for it. I tow a small car and it is always in use.
Even though we have a "B" and once we reach our destination the car is great for running around in. It cost me about 1to1-1/2 MPG to tow but it is a great security blanket for us. Once in CG we use it for fishing trips, go out to eat, sightseeing etc.
BTW don't let anyone tell you that you can't back it up. Just lock the steering wheel in a straight forward position and back up as if it was a trailer. Unlock steering when going forward.
As far as the lights go you can wire it yourself OR use magnetic lights.
Tow Lights
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
a) We think its a good idea. Have towed our toads from ON to Prince George BC and central FL since we bought the MH. Great for sightseeing and other trips.
First check with your RAVs owners manual to see if it IS towable 4 down or on a dolly. Then check the F350s owners manual to see what the tow ratings are. and the weight that can be pulled before adding auxiliary braking.
b) There are several 'lists' available for light and brake requirements in each province/state, but they are not necessarily accurate. You should check with each jurisdiction for accurate laws. Here is BCs.
3) Cost of lights, could be as low at 23-$30 for magnetic stick on lights from Princess Auto or Harbour Freight. Cost will go up with kits for installing separate bulbs/sockets or diodes.
Tow bars, we are happy with our Blue Ox, but many other good makes out there.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.