cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing In Snow Who's Done It?

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Towing a travel trailer 10k in snow when snow chains are required, who's done it?

I have a 2WD truck and may have to take a trip to Idaho. I could run into snow on some of the passes.

Good thing I checked and test fit my snow chains that I have been carrying in my truck for the last 14 years and never used, they did not fit. So, I picked up a new set today. LT duty cam locks.

I test fit them they fit fine.

What about tire pressure when towing 10K and running snow chains. I run max tire pressure in the rear tires 80psi when towing. Does air pressure change when running snow chains?

Max speed, what is recommended?

Do you chain the trailer axle? One or both?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
46 REPLIES 46

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the Pass east of Pendleton I 84 this morning on Tripcheck. Best time for weather for me is the 12th. I'm not taking my trailer over that now just want to get my truck over it. Going to get in and get out of Boise before the next snow even on Fri/Sat
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
1L243 wrote:
Thanks for all the advise. I need to make the trip around the 15th with a day or two of flexibility either way depending on the weather.

At this point I have decided to leave the Toy Hauler on the Pendleton side of the pass at a RV park and then return to it when I finish my business in Boise.

That said I'm thinking I should be prepared, what is the consensus on type of chains(cables, chains, cam locks) for the rear axle of the trailer, keeping in mind the trailer weighs about 10,000

Anything to keep it from kicking out.
There are a myriad of chains /cables for sale on CL.
Even tire socks for the trailer. Easy to install and help on ice.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may want to view Tripcheck. Snow storm hitting the Blues

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
Thanks for all the advise. I need to make the trip around the 15th with a day or two of flexibility either way depending on the weather.

At this point I have decided to leave the Toy Hauler on the Pendleton side of the pass at a RV park and then return to it when I finish my business in Boise.

That said I'm thinking I should be prepared, what is the consensus on type of chains(cables, chains, cam locks) for the rear axle of the trailer, keeping in mind the trailer weighs about 10,000

I don't understand. I am making the same trip on the same day and there is no snow even in the forecast. I am leaving NE Washington on 15th to Pendleton. Next day thru Boise to Salt Lake city. Nothing in the way of snow forecast. What is all of the fuss?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what you call them, I call them cross link. I grew up in WI, lived in N. Idaho, and drove commercial. These were all we ran:

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
80,000 pounds over Wolf Creek will put the fear of God in anyone.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mountain passes typically have narrow windy roads, often without guard rails. The problem with towing especially rigs that weigh more than your Rv, is that every time you go around a corner the trailer wants to break your rear axle loose toward the outside of the turn.

It is hard to imagine what that feels like until you have experienced it.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
My first winter commercial driving I was worried about 80,000lbs and snow and asked a really old long haul driver. His advise, " drive slow enough that when you crash you can walk away from it". Think about it .....................

Wolf Creek with my 35ft;

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
South Dakota pulling the 5er, all was well until I came upon a bridge that was curved as in part of a corner in the road and covered in a sheet of ice. It was like HOLY SH!T. I let off enough to where I was not accelerating or slowing down and hung on for dear life. The truck started to drift but I made it thru the corner.

BLACK ICE. It happens when dew freezes on bridges.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
South Dakota pulling the 5er, all was well until I came upon a bridge that was curved as in part of a corner in the road and covered in a sheet of ice. It was like HOLY SH!T. I let off enough to where I was not accelerating or slowing down and hung on for dear life. The truck started to drift but I made it thru the corner.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I know OP is talking about OR, but here is winter driving guide. Double asterisk is a tip for those that have four wheel drive including myself, you still must carry tire chains.
WA winter driving guide
Orgon has a similar requirement to carry chains.
Oregon winter driving guide

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I towed snowmobile trailers all over the northeast using mountain roads most times to get to the best trails. Snowmobile trailers can be large and heavy with two to four machines and gear inside. I have never seen one trailer with chains yet thousands of people participate in this activity.

Depends on the conditions.
Agree, generally ^ this is correct. And if the roads are bad enough, youโ€™re generally going so slow that most conditions I wouldnโ€™t chain the trailer up either. But there are some, and Iโ€™ve had my trailer try to pull my chained up truck around on steep icy forest roads.
In general if youโ€™re headed over a pass and not hairpin turns and not steep, like the OP is asking about, yeah I wouldnโ€™t chain the trailer ever.

One thing to remember, is some states jurisdictions do not allow metal traction devices, ie chains or metal studded tires. So if in these areas, talking about using or not using chains, is a must point.

Grit while agreeing with lynnmor, could get fined here in WaSt on an interstate, say I99 going over Snoqualmie pass for not having chain(s) on the tow rig and trailer when the "chains required over 10,000 GVW" sign is up. This include vehicles towing if under 10K. Where lynnmor is, it may be illegal to use chains. Many Midwest states are this way.
Towing in snow is not a big deal overall. Altho as noted, dry Midwest snow is way easier than high moisture content at 28-34f temps we deal with on the west coast is more fun per say LOLOL.
Know the conditions you will be in, have a plan of attack etc. Enjoy the weekend if planned, or in OPs case, an emergency trip that hopefully will not create another emergency.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is many different types of snow. Dry cold snow is not nearly as slippery as snow near the freezing point. Black ice is the worst. If you're not accustomed to driving in slippery conditions I'd recommend that you give yourself a little extra time and avoid driving days when the road is icy.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5