cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing in snow?

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I would ptobably make a habit of it, but does anybody ever pull their trailer in the snow? I'm planning a trip over Thanksgiving, and in Michigan and Ohio there's always the potential for snowy weather that late in November.
For those who have done it, I'd love to hear what you've learned about towing when there is snow on the ground.
Certainly the goal would be to stay on clear pavement, but what happens when you are out late in the season and wake up to snow cover?
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids
39 REPLIES 39

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
2wd and towing a 30' trailer = stay home, or drive very slowly and you may need to chain up the 2 wheeler.
You'll know before you get to the freeway if it's a good day to pull a trailer in the snow.
I pull similar size trailers all the time in the snow, up the Mountian and back down. Never used chains on a well traveled road, but I'd have a differnet plan if my truck was a 2 wheeler.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
If driving in a little snow and ice makes you a nervous wreck stay off the road. Common sense and experience go a long way in winter driving

N.W. Neb first week of May 08

Going over the Big Horns May 09 with same trailer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
1. Carry chains for your tow vehicle and trailer whether you plan to use them or not because the weather may have different plans.

2. I actually boost the brake bias to the trailer slightly so it drags the tow vehicle rather than pushing and jack knifing the tow vehicle.

3. Drive slower and smoother with no sudden changes to speed or direction.

4. Watch for others much farther down your sight path because you will not be able to react to their actions as quickly.

5. Try to avoid stops on uphill slopes and anticipate traffic lights and flow by adjusting your speed so you do not have to come to a complete stop.

6. In slick conditions, tow/haul mode and exhaust brakes may be too rough in transitions, so you may need to drive with these off.

X2!
Been there done that, this is when having a 4X4 adds to the safety factor, 4X4 gives greater steering control. It doesn't mean you can drive faster, it just gives greater steering control at reasonable speeds.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with most of the advice, save turning up the brakes on the trailer. A sliding wheel will lead, because it has less friction than a rolling wheel. This is what the engineering textbooks say, but don't believe them or me.

Prove it to yourself like the Dowell Schlumberger driving school proved it to class after class of drivers. A model tractor-trailer with quality spinning wheels and a steep incline. Roll it down, then roll it down with the trailer wheels (toothpicks or erasers) locked, then repeat with the drivers locked. It violates your beliefs, but your camper will react the same way. The sliding wheels will lead. You want even braking, all the way around and don't lock up. We also drove cars on a skid pad, where the instructor could lock front, rear or both.

Then you can shake your head and give the truck to the kids as a quality toy.

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
crosscheck wrote:
We headed out of Coldstream October 2nd towing our Creekside TT up #97, eventual destination Smithers. Good time of the year to see our son's family and fish for steelhead in the Bulkley river. It's about a 12 hour trip if you take it easy. Weather generally good as there are not any real high passes to traverse.

Still have summer tires on, weather good when we left. Stopped in Cache Creek and watched the south bound ice coated trucks and RV's that the hunters were driving cruising by.. Stop to talk to a Greyhound driver who had just come down from the north. His bus had a 3" coating of ice and snow on it. Said all of the semis were chaining up and he would not recommend starting off at this time as there are 2 climbs before you are up on the plateau.

Looked at the weather and it said that after Lac La Hache, everything was clear even sunny. Decided to head out. Drove up to Clinton and the snow was on the ground but highway was just wet. Kept climbing until we got to Big Bar where this photo was taken. About 12" of snow in the fields and the north and southbound lanes where solid compact snow/ice. 1 1/2 hours in 4x4 at 60km/hr. Temps= -3C so the snow was a bit slick. Trucks were in the ditches all over the place because if you decided to pull over onto the paved shoulder, the snow would pull your wheels into the ditch.

The ice finally turned to slush after 100 Mile House and after that , the roads where just wet. Stopped off at the Quesnel Walmart and had a nice overnight stay(-7C), then an uneventful day to Smithers.

Just near the Chasm turn off, #97. Still had the climb up to Begbie summit. Do not try this at home kids. I have driven hundreds of hours on snow covered roads but this is the first time pulling a TT and with summer tires to boot. This was no picnic.

Dave

Winter tires are REQUIRED by law in BC after October 1, you were taking an unecessary risk. A lot of good suggestions here, the main thing is to slow down and avoid sudden speed changes. The worst conditions are when the temperatures are close to freezing, once the weather stays cold winter conditions can actuallly be good.

I have 4 good studded winter tires sitting in my shed. 30years living in the north and being prepared for winter driving has always been a priority. 13 years of living recently in the Okanagan has made my winter driving brain mushy. Lucky, it was only 1.5 hours of icy conditions compared to the total of 12. DriveBC had excellent current info that we followed. If conditions were prevelent all the way to Smithers, we would have made other plans. Luckily, the poor conditions were only a relatively short stretch. Have an appointment to change over the SUV and the truck to winter tires tomorrow. The only thing is that the long range forcast is for double digit highs for the next 2 weeks in the Okanagan.

As to the OP, use the weather technology that is available to forecast where you are are towing to. Most places give you up to the minute weather and road conditions and web cams at important highway sections like mountain passes or busy corridors.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We leave Michigan before any real chance of snow. If you drive in snow and winter remember to stop at a truck wash to get the salt off the brakes and the rest of the trailer.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I recall driving home after camping in January a few years back, towing up a steep grade (for the area) in middle Michigan, I was losing speed and noticed the traction control light blinking, as the road surface had become black ice. Thank goodness for electronic shift 4wd ... turn the knob and instantly more traction. Was able to maintain my speed and finish the grade without drama.

The year I bought my camper, I towed it North along the lake using my Subaru Wagon, in a January blizzard along I-96 and US-31 from Grand Rapids. Thank goodness for all wheel drive.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
We regularly tow (and camp) in the snow. Four wheel drive, good M&S tires and slow down.
Perhaps it's my hitch (Hensley), but I find I slide less going around turns...much less than when not towing. And, when I do, it's fairly easy to correct. I find the increase in braking distance to be the biggest change (be prepared to slide if you hit the brakes too hard...).

Have fun and enjoy the journey.

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
I do have snow tires for the van, but I don't usually put them on until mid December. I take this trip every year, I just have never brought the trailer with before. Maybe I'll wait to see what the weather forecast looks like.

It's a 1 ton van, so theoretically the extra tongue weight should help the rwd in the snow if we run into any. No 4x4, but the stabilitrak does a nice job of keeping me from slipping.

I've lived along one of the great lakes for almost all my life, so i'm no stranger to the white stuff. But I don't like the thought of the big trailer slipping or pushing me through a turn for sure.
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
All you can do is start out driving SLOW, very SLOW and get a feel for the condition of the road. If snow is on the road, you definitely should not test fate and attempt to get in a hurry or attempt to meet any deadlines. Put your entire world in slow motion. Your one and only goal will be to drive SAFELY far enough you will get out of the snow! If it takes 3 days driving at 15 mph for 16 hours a day, then so be it. If you remember this one and only tip you really need, you'll be just fine! Absolutely do not over drive your limitation. Unfortunately, even driving the family car, folks over drive road conditions in inclement weather. Don't fall to temptation, feel cocky and overdrive the conditions.

Second, trailer brakes should activate stronger than your tow vehicle. You want the trailer braking first. If not, the weight of the trailer will push the tow vehicle and on slippery wet roads, you absolutely will not have any control. At least, if the trailer brakes first, the trailer will stay straight in line and help keep the tow vehicle straight.

Third, if you have 4x4, snowy roads where you don't see any asphalt any more, only white stuff, will be your friend.

Coming through the mountains of West Virginia one winter, we were in a blizard, some stretches were pure white-out conditions in daylight. I was moving along about 15 mph, as was everything else on that interstate, when I decided I'd had enough and needed to rest a while. Coming off the cloverleaf type ramp, uphill the trailer wanted to go straight, the truck wanted to skid to the right. I immediately flipped on 4x4, the tires caught hold enough, it stopped the skidding, and I was able to finally pull the trailer up the curved hill. From that point forward, for the next several hours, I kept the truck in 4x4.

Snow is no fun. It's dangerous enough just driving, but towing anything adds a new complexity you just have to experience. Once you done it, you understand. It's hard to put in words.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Nice soft compound winter tires can really help, only use them in the coldest.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Chains are illegal in Michigan if they come in contact with the pavement.

Just take your time, it's definitely not a race.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have specific questions. I use my camper all twelve months of the year, including towing in deep snow.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I have only had the pleasure of towing my tiny hybrid trailer once in snowy icy conditions. To make it worse, I was Traveling some twisty hilly roads, and pulling it with my 1995 Ford E150 Van. It wasnโ€™t snowing when I started the trip, or I never would have done it
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
crosscheck wrote:
We headed out of Coldstream October 2nd towing our Creekside TT up #97, eventual destination Smithers. Good time of the year to see our son's family and fish for steelhead in the Bulkley river. It's about a 12 hour trip if you take it easy. Weather generally good as there are not any real high passes to traverse.

Still have summer tires on, weather good when we left. Stopped in Cache Creek and watched the south bound ice coated trucks and RV's that the hunters were driving cruising by.. Stop to talk to a Greyhound driver who had just come down from the north. His bus had a 3" coating of ice and snow on it. Said all of the semis were chaining up and he would not recommend starting off at this time as there are 2 climbs before you are up on the plateau.

Looked at the weather and it said that after Lac La Hache, everything was clear even sunny. Decided to head out. Drove up to Clinton and the snow was on the ground but highway was just wet. Kept climbing until we got to Big Bar where this photo was taken. About 12" of snow in the fields and the north and southbound lanes where solid compact snow/ice. 1 1/2 hours in 4x4 at 60km/hr. Temps= -3C so the snow was a bit slick. Trucks were in the ditches all over the place because if you decided to pull over onto the paved shoulder, the snow would pull your wheels into the ditch.

The ice finally turned to slush after 100 Mile House and after that , the roads where just wet. Stopped off at the Quesnel Walmart and had a nice overnight stay(-7C), then an uneventful day to Smithers.

Just near the Chasm turn off, #97. Still had the climb up to Begbie summit. Do not try this at home kids. I have driven hundreds of hours on snow covered roads but this is the first time pulling a TT and with summer tires to boot. This was no picnic.

Dave

Winter tires are REQUIRED by law in BC after October 1, you were taking an unecessary risk. A lot of good suggestions here, the main thing is to slow down and avoid sudden speed changes. The worst conditions are when the temperatures are close to freezing, once the weather stays cold winter conditions can actuallly be good.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
don't do ANYTHING quickly.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)