cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing on the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've heard a fair amount of conflicting information and suggestions relating to driving the Blue Ridge Parkway. Here's our situation... We will be in the Nashville area for a rally in mid July, and are considering following this up with a two or three week jaunt up the Blue Ridge Parkway from south to north. We're set up with a 38' fiver, 13' 6" tall, towed by a one-ton diesel. Retired, so absolutely no hurry. Our thinking is that we'd spend our days driving short sections of the parkway, dropping off to campgrounds off of the parkway. I have experience in mountain driving and know the capabilities of the truck well, so grades don't bother me too much.

So, is our plan and approach doable? Are there any gotcha's that I need to be thinking about? I'd be particularly interested in thoughts from folks that have 'been there and done that' in a setup similar to ours.

Thanks in advance...
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW
27 REPLIES 27

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of opinions on this and I would not argue with anyone since folks do it. However, we go each year. We have been with a fiver and now a motorhome. We always find a cg in the general area and use it as a home base. When we get ready we move and find another cg to use as a home base. It is a much more pleasurable drive in your tow vehicle or toad to see the beautiful scenery. As far as driving in the center to make it thru some of the tunnels, personally I find this to not be the wisest decision. This is my thoughts on it, to each his own.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Done it in a class C, a van and tent, 28 foot TT, and the TM. Still a great way to travel from CG to CG. Add in the Skyline and it doesn't get much better. This is supposed to be a slow scenic drive. If you don't want that take an interstate and drive with all the bats outa h***
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
You will find that many of the roads that access the BRP are far more challenging than driving the BRP.

Very true. Some of them are real goat trails.

As far as the BRPW itself goes, we have done most of it at on point or another. Our 5er height is listed as 12'6". There are a couple tunnels shown to be less than that however the minimum height shown is right at curbside.

If there was any doubt we drove in the center. Most of the tunnels are very short. Full information can be found on various sites of the BRP.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We drove much of BRP and all of Skyline Drive. Our only problem came when the Rangers at one of visitors center failed to tell us the road was closed due to snow. We passed a possible turnoff and rounded a corner to find the gate across the road. Of course we had to disconnect the towed to turn around and then down a very steep twisty road and somehow ended up getting to the end of the Parkway. We will return and take the towed and drive all of the BRP, this time from South to North. I've got to see the Viaduct.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You will find that many of the roads that access the BRP are far more challenging than driving the BRP.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2324delk
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it in a Motorhome, and pulling a 30ft 5th wheel.

No problem doing the whole thing in either one.

But if I do it again I will camp off the parkway in central location for two nights or more if needed.

First day I will go north on parkway, second day I will go south.

Returning to the camper by the parkway or some other scenic route.

Then I will move to a new location and do it again.

Locations like Roan Mt State Park, and Grayson Highlands State park

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Its not a fun filled drive with a motorhome. People are not always happy when you take up two lanes to clear the middle of the tunnel.
It is boring if you are just driving from point a to point b, partiuclarly north of Asheville where what you see is lots of condos, and dumps a mile off the route.
I would park and drive parts of it. There are soem museums, one about minerals, off the route and there, is a lake on the Blue Ridge where you can rent a canoe, or take your own and fish for trout and several other features.
Even at springtime, you will find too much traffic on weekends, north of Asheville. the few rest stops will be crowded and the one larger on on the west side will have all the dumpsters and rest rooms full and kids running through the stream etc.
There is Lineville Falls and Cave and there is Mt Mitchell etc where you can get your hat blown away and aired out, real chilly.
Down through the Smokies is, I think one of the better stretches but you will want to park somewhere, off the route and take a car and hike some of the trails, enjoy a lunch watching the hills, Rotendendron, which will be blooming There's in some altitudes in March. There's Clingman's Dome and hundred other places. You will have to make your entertainment. There is a lot of trout fishing est of the rout in NC and some west of it.
When we were younger we enjoyed the long stretches or endured them more. Get a little grouch after a while now. Of course you can go a bit further east and run the Tail of the Dragon but definately not in the MH.
The park map does not mention the thins off the route very often.
We don't like detailed planning now but to get the most of it you will want to plan stops often.

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all, for the great information. I do appreciate it.

Jackbuck... you mention the need to stay "...north of Asheville because of the tunnels and clearance." From my research on tunnel heights, I'm seeing that clearance at the center of the tunnels is high enough to accommodate our rig. I'm also reading that it is common and acceptable for folks with tall rigs to straddle the center line if need be. Is this not the case?
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Yup Mayberry is just off the Parkway and so is Mt Pilot (Mount Airy and Pilot Mountain........Andy's home town........... Very doable pulloffs for the most part plenty large. Maybury's Mill on the parkway worth the stop. nice little eating spot too..... Floyd VA is nice quaint town Bluegrass music on Friday nights. Roanoke VA good supply stop off Walmart right off the Parkway on 220 South.

Enjoy!!!!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you are gonna be in Nashville consider the " Natchez Trace "!
We have done the BRP several times and when it gets boring we pull off and run parallel for 30 or 40 miles . Lots of neat little towns , makes ya think you are in Mayberry .

jackbuck
Explorer
Explorer
hAVE DONE IT MANY TIMES You will have to stay north of Ashville N.C. because of the tunnels and clearance.We had a jayco 5th wheel .Just plann on taking your time. There are also campgrounds right off the parkway that have full hookups.parkway ones have water sewer dumps and restrooms . No electric.
jackbuck ,2016 Arctic Fox 29-5-k ,2004 chev 3500 crew with 8100gas,Virginia.One great wife two trailor dogs,9 boys and 2 of the other kind.,all on their own, empty nest. its hard to see the picture when you are inside the frame.

TNSnowbirds
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled the Blue Ridge Parkway several times over the years from Cherokee NC to Front Royal VA and found it well worth the visit. Our motorhome was a 34' Pace Arrow towing a Toyota 4 wheel drive. The most problems we had were from the folks trying to see it in one day. Just keep your vehicle topped off with fuel, the fuel stops are few and far between. We enjoyed the Parkway so much that we've also traversed it 3 times on our motorcycle. Enjoy your trip!
2014 Bighorn
2006 GMC 3500 DuraMax
2008 Harley Ultra Classic
Retired USAF CSMgt EOD
"EOD, ain't that a bunch"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled the Blue Ridge Parkway several years ago and found it extremely boring. Lots of hills and curves minimizing speed and increasing the need for attention to the road. Not sure the Scenic Overlooks would accommodate a large rig.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)