cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing to Mammoth

Vlendzion
Explorer
Explorer
I am pulling a 1994 Jayco pop up with a V6 2015 Chevrolet Colorado. I leaving the bay area and going to Mammoth. My plan is to use highway 88. Am I going to have issues? I have towed to Tahoe via 50 before with no problems.
7 REPLIES 7

Vlendzion
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. We made it without issue, other than a lot of smoke.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tamarack fire just occurred in that area so check the incident website or others for latest info. I remember the hwy to be winding most of the way with some steep grades on curves, narrow in a few places and rough in a few others but passable with your rig. Not much traffic in the week but a few big trucks. Been a few years since I traveled 88.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep up on the road fire closures to avoid surprises.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
There might be some 8% +- grades on that road. Take your time, don't push it and all will be good.

CA-4 and CA-108 has much steeper grades around 25% so be warned if you want a change of scenery on the return trip.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Whatโ€™s your specific concern?
I canโ€™t fathom any reason that a good condition, relatively new, 305hp/269 ft lb engine with a 6 speed would have issue pulling a old popup camper aboot anywhere.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
With a popup you should not have any issues.
You will lose power the higher you go and your speeds might drop.

IDK your temp gauge, most 2015s have a 3 position temp gauge: 1. cold 2. normal 3. you just blew your motor. Gauges do not show temp like they used to, moving the needle according to actual temp. Aftermarket gauge to display temps is wise.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
About the only issue you might have is keeping your eyes on the road. Lots of scenery to enjoy along that route. Yeah, there are a couple of climbs and a winding road, but, nothing to fear. It's worth the drive.