cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing two trailer at one time

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been amazed by the people who tow a RV and their boat at the same time, but I'm curious if it changes how you drive? Can you back-up both trailers at the same time in a normal fashion or is there a trick? How do they handle taking turns?
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP
36 REPLIES 36

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came across this triple setup in Utah, the first we've ever seen. Owner said it was 81' overall and no problem to tow. Man, until you see one in person, you can't appreciate how long these things are! :E Wonder how you get into and out of gas stations?

We pulled out onto the interstate before them and a few minutes later they came flying past at warp speed at what seemed like over 100 mph. He was outa sight in seconds. Crazy!

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
All I know is that your license would need to have a doubles endorsement.

Only in California.

So you don't need an endorsement for other states?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
All I know is that your license would need to have a doubles endorsement.

Only in California.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is that your license would need to have a doubles endorsement. Also, I know that the State of WA does not allow doubles to be towed. These things I do know.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I do have a Class A CDL with double/triple trailer endorsement.
To answer your questions, your turns going forward really won't be affected much.
Backing up CAN be done, even around corners not just straight - if you have a lot of practice. Usually the only people with enough practice to pull it off are guys who do it every day for a living.
As a casual RVer I'd say plan on not backing up.

If you do want to learn to back it up, my "trick" is to mentally put myself in the first trailer behind the truck. That is the vehicle backing up the second trailer. In my mind, that's where I am.
If you're good enough at backing a single trailer, you can sort of forget the truck and just instinctively use it to put the first trailer where you want it.
You do need to be able to see the second trailer. If it isn't wide enough, you can mount some little poles as sight-points.
The real advanced trick (that I have done many times) for backing up when the last trailer isn't as wide as the first (and can't be seen when straight) is to slalom left and right as you back up. That lets you keep catching a glimpse of the last one on each swing.
I learned that by watching an old WWII movie. In WWII, there were single-seat fighter planes with huge engines in front, and the planes were tail-draggers. When they were on the runway taxi-ing, all the pilot could see ahead of him was the forward cowl and sky. They did the same trick, they slalomed left and right so they could look out their side windows and see forward on each swing. Watch for that next time you see footage of something like a P-51 Mustang on the ground.

Don't count on doing that with your trailers unless you have a few free years to practice!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Can you back-up both trailers at the same time in a normal fashion or is there a trick?"

I watched a guy TRY to back up one of these combos once. Very entertaining!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton wrote:
You can back them up, pretty easily in fact.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k0VHFK7Njps

Wow, that was pretty cool. He obviously had a lot of practice. Not sure how he could see the boat trailer though, I didn't see a camera on the back of the RV.
2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX 8,268 UVW 11,754 GVWR
2007 Ram 2500 QC SB 4x4 Smarty tuned 5.9 Cummins
B&W Turnover Ball & Andersen Ultimate

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hey IdaD, don't sell yourself short!:) It is apples to oranges backing a class 2-3 truck with FW, and small trailer, or boat, compared to a big rig, backing 2 similar sized trailers, that can both easily be seen in the mirrors. By the time you spot the little trailer in the mirrors, it is usually too late to correct.

With utility trailer or boat, it is best to have a wheeled jack on them, for the times you have to go with plan B.

Jerry

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
IdaD wrote:
You can't really back them up. Going down the highway isn't much different, though.

yes the both CAN be backed up at the same time. I have several truck driver friends and they are pretty adept at backing big doubles.

Okay let me rephrase. I can't really back them up. :B
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:
I've always been amazed by the people who tow a RV and their boat at the same time, but I'm curious if it changes how you drive? Can you back-up both trailers at the same time in a normal fashion or is there a trick? How do they handle taking turns?

I'll repost for ya' as some can't seem to answer your questions or take your thread or off topic with legal blather.
I've towed RV doubles for eight years with a truck/5th wheel and a 3400 lb 18' 6" bass boat (63' total).

I also tow ag doubles which may be two GN trailers or a GN/bumper pull trailer.

You will not back these type combo's up in a normal fashion like around a corner getting into a campsite/drive way/loading dock/etc. It takes a lot of room to back even in a straight line even just a short distance.
Much depends on the 2nd trailers ball to axle length....just like backing a short trailer vs a long trailer behind the tow vehicle.

Making turns going forward is easy. The back of the first trailer swings out which may cause the 2nd trailer to follow the same set of tire tracks.

Now if the first trailer was like a LEQ horse trailer with its axles aft close to the back on the trailer then there is little to no tail swing.
Once you get the hang of going around sharp corners you can swing the back of the first trailer out sharply at a certain point which swings the 2nd trailer out even farther as it makes the corners apex.

Its not that hard to safely pull doubles.
It helps to plan your moves such as getting in and out of the fuel pumps or final destination. You don't just pull of the road into any mom and pop fuel stations.
I keep my speeds down and forget about keeping up with the flow.

Thanks for the updates. The backing up part would really worry me hence why you would need to plan your trip so carefully. I know some truckers pull doubles so the backing up piece can be done. Props to you and others that do it regularly.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
patriotgrunt wrote:

I'll repost for ya' as some can't seem to answer your questions or take your thread or off topic with legal blather.
I've towed RV doubles for eight years with a truck/5th wheel and a 3400 lb 18' 6" bass boat (63' total).

I also tow ag doubles which may be two GN trailers or a GN/bumper pull trailer.

You will not back these type combo's up in a normal fashion like around a corner getting into a campsite/drive way/loading dock/etc. It takes a lot of room to back even in a straight line even just a short distance.
Much depends on the 2nd trailers ball to axle length....just like backing a short trailer vs a long trailer behind the tow vehicle.

Making turns going forward is easy. The back of the first trailer swings out which may cause the 2nd trailer to follow the same set of tire tracks.

Now if the first trailer was like a LEQ horse trailer with its axles aft close to the back on the trailer then there is little to no tail swing.
Once you get the hang of going around sharp corners you can swing the back of the first trailer out sharply at a certain point which swings the 2nd trailer out even farther as it makes the corners apex.

Its not that hard to safely pull doubles.
It helps to plan your moves such as getting in and out of the fuel pumps or final destination. You don't just pull of the road into any mom and pop fuel stations.
I keep my speeds down and forget about keeping up with the flow.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
We have drivers in Michigan that back up double bottom gravel trains every day of the week and can do it for miles if they had to.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton wrote:
You can back them up, pretty easily in fact.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k0VHFK7Njps

Clicky

It definitely can be done, as long as you have enough room to get the rig straight before backing.

I won't be trying it anytime soon.....or ever. ๐Ÿ™‚

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Backing a b-train is doable as long as everything is straight. An a train is a whole 'nother ball game.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
You can't really back them up. Going down the highway isn't much different, though.

yes the both CAN be backed up at the same time. I have several truck driver friends and they are pretty adept at backing big doubles.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!