cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with 2013 XLT w/Tow Package

thestrangebrew
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all! New to the forums and doing a bunch of research. I've done a search with people asking if a 2013 explorer can pull xyz TTs and most recommend for this particular TV either a popup or HTT. We're currently looking at a Jayco 16xrb HTT and I just want to check if I'm (roughly) calculating my numbers correctly.

So the Jayco GVWR is 3500lbs and dry weight of 2575 lbs. A lady on the Jayco Forums (I've posted on several different forums in my research) who has this exact trailer bought in Feb. saying her yellow sticker was 2832 lbs. I know this number could vary immensely, but just as a baseline I'll use that number.

Curb weight of TV - 4557lbs (including 150lbs for driver)
Passengers (3 - not including driver) - ~450lbs
No cargo (wife said we will put all our gear in the trailer when towing which I'm totally skeptical about)
tongue (dry hitch?) - 315 lbs (most likely higher from what I've read)

Weight of vehicle + passengers + 0 cargo + tongue = 5322 lbs

So dry weight - 2832 lbs
Trailer has 26gal fresh water capacity, but we don't use a whole lot of water and to keep things light, I fig. we would use about 10 gals over the course of a weekend. I'll go with 15lbs just to be safe.

Water @ 15 gals. = 8.33lbs/gal = 124.95 gals.

Propane & battery = 125 lbs(?)

Cargo (I have no idea what food/clothes will weigh and we generally use paper /plastic products) so I'd guess about 200-300 lbs

Weighted vehicle (dry weight + water +cargo (300lbs to be safe) = 3381 lbs

TV + Weighter Trailer = 8703 lbs.

My TV GCVWR is 9980 so 9980 - 8703 = 1277 or 87% of Max

Does this sound about right as to how I would figure out actual weights etc once we decide to get the trailer? @ 87% would I have a hard time going up some mountains? I will be using a wdh & brake controller and anything else that will enhance safety that you guys would recommend (I've never pulled anything before so this is all new to me). Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious where will you put such things as bikes? They do not fit well inside a trailer. Just from experience, if you have empty space in your vehicle...it will get filled. It is easy to say, oh we will just throw this in the back but very quickly this will turn into a couple of hundred lbs.