cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toy Hauler Towing weight

clemp
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a F250 Diesel, then I bought 42ft Road warrior, I'm thinking I can't haul it with that truck. Any thoughts
16 REPLIES 16

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
What is the towing capacity of the truck? You didn't say what year it is. Also there should be a decal on the trailer as to the empty weight and the max weight. I came close to buying a 3/4t chev but after checking my weights I found the 2500 was too light. Bought the 3500 srw and I'm good to go. What are you going to haul in the back of the trailer? If you are planning on a few chairs and maybe mountain bikes vs a sxs there is a big difference in the extra weight.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
The truck can handle it, as mentioned the difference between a 3/4 ton and a one ton is virtually nothing. You'll want some springs or air bags, I prefer bags because I use my truck all the time not just hauling heavy and I don't want to ride around in a stiff truck when it doesn't need to be. Overly stiff empty pickups get downright dangerous at even moderate speed on bumpy surfaces.

It's all about the wheels and tires. You're in the territory of either 19.5s or duals.
The rear axle rating on the sticker assumes stock wheels and tires, which are the main limiting factor. The axle itself is good for a lot more and it's the same parts that are in the dually axles.

The 3/4 ton axle is NOT the same as a 1 ton dually! Using 19.5 tires on a 3/4 or 1 ton requires either all brand new wheels and of course tires, which aren't cheap or using adapters from 8 lug to 10 lug wheels. If you think the difference between a 3/4 and a 1 ton is virtually nothing you best do some more research!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The truck can handle it, as mentioned the difference between a 3/4 ton and a one ton is virtually nothing. You'll want some springs or air bags, I prefer bags because I use my truck all the time not just hauling heavy and I don't want to ride around in a stiff truck when it doesn't need to be. Overly stiff empty pickups get downright dangerous at even moderate speed on bumpy surfaces.

It's all about the wheels and tires. You're in the territory of either 19.5s or duals.
The rear axle rating on the sticker assumes stock wheels and tires, which are the main limiting factor. The axle itself is good for a lot more and it's the same parts that are in the dually axles.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I'm fairly certain you will be waaaaaay over the cargo capacity with that pin weight. My truck, '15 F250 listed in my sig, has a cargo capacity in the 2200 range according to the yellow door jam sticker IIRC. I can't even be legal with the 35-36' TH I'm looking at with a 2300-2600 pin weight and 12k-12.5k empty weight. I have the 10K gvw option and airbags. I'm certain it'll tow either 5th wheel TH I want just fine. With the Harley or atv's loaded, it'll drop the pin weight by around 200#, so I'd only be a few hundred pounds over weight. But, that's still overweight. I need to weigh the truck and get exact numbers before I even seriously consider a 5er. I should have bought a 350 srw.

Most of to 40-42' TH I've looked at have a 3500-4500 pin weight. I your cargo limit is near mine, you could be 1500-2500 over weight. I'd probably be willing to gamble with my numbers, but wouldn't even consider towing a 42' with a 250. Like others said, I'd be going with a 350 drw at a minimum, if not a 450.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why? Maybe because his personal preference is to have some cushion as far as capacities go, and not be right at the maximums, and not need aftermarket suspension helpers to correct bad conditions?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
coolbreeze01 wrote:
clemp wrote:
Just purchased a F250 Diesel, then I bought 42ft Road warrior, I'm thinking I can't haul it with that truck. Any thoughts

I'd be looking at 4500 and 5500's. Good luck.......

Please explain why?

My 41' MS weighs 23K. It places 5,800# on the truck. I am within trucks axle ratings and combined towing with 15 RAM 3500 Dually. Towed all over the West in all conditions with a very stable towing experience.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Just do like they do here in Oregon. Put a lift kit on the F250, load your sand toys in and head to the beach. Should be fine :E

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
clemp wrote:

I'd be looking at 4500 and 5500's. Good luck.......
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely dually territory...

Bet the salesman said you would be fine though right?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Bedlam
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bags and 19'5's "it will tow just fine". ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'll agree with the 19.5" tires and rims but would suggest replacing your rear suspension with heavier spring packs before going to bags. The OEM wheels and springs are selected for a 6000-7000 lb rear axle weight - The axle, frame and powerplant have sufficient capacity, but the wheels and suspension do not. If your state licenses by GVWR or GCWR, make sure you are paying for sufficient capacity.

If you are in one of the states or provinces where the GVWR tag is absolute, you only have the option to upgrade the truck, downgrade the toy hauler or move.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Even the year of truck purchased will make a heck of a difference as to whether or not is will handle it. Personally with a 3/4 ton, I wouldn't want to pull anything over about 36-38ft. Pin weight shouldn't be over about 4K...mid 3s more likely for the Road Warriors in the 42ft range but still a lot for a SRW 3/4 ton. Most pin weight ratios I've seen run in the 18-20% range.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine a 42' toy hauler would be too comfortable with a SRW truck. The 250/350 distinction is meaningless on newer trucks in the real world, or can be made meaningless easily, but there's an actual capability difference with the SRW/DRW distinction.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
welcome to the forum Carl.
I would ask the mod or adm to move you over to our toy hauler forum where someone may have the same trailer and maybe the same truck. They will be able to tell you how to mod your 2500 truck to pull a 20000 lb trailer.....or maybe a much bigger truck will be needed.

Anywayz your 3/4 ton truck may have the same engine/tranny/front and rear axle as the bigger one ton DRW truck....however most 3/4 ton trucks are limited by a 6000-6500 RAWR which means around 2800-3200 lb payload in the bed.
A one ton DRW for example can have a 9375-9800 RAWR for 6000-6500 lb payload all depending truck configurations.

Looking at the Road Warrior web show these trailers are in the 20000 gvwr range which means wet pin weights in the 4k-5k lb range.

Your looking at a one ton DRW at the minimum.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bags and 19'5's "it will tow just fine". ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD