cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toyota 4runner towing needs

joelvis
Explorer
Explorer
Buying a Class A. Can my 4runner be towed? New to forum!!!!
15 REPLIES 15

Tdkeilman
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 1994 Toyota 4WD pickup, manual transmission, 4 down. It's the Tacoma size, but the use of "Tacoma" did not start until maybe a year later. The owner's manual says no, and says no to dolly towing as well. I have contacted service departments at two dealerships and they told me I can, as long as all 4 wheels are on the ground, and I do NOT put the transfer case in neutral, but leave it in 2WD high. Just put the tranny in neutral, leave the key on so the streering wheel does not lock. I have been doing that for several years, about 8,000 miles and no issues. They did tell me not to use a dolly, as the front wheels have to be turning to keep things properly lubed.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
cudntherd wrote:
If your 4Runner is rear wheel (2 wheel drive)with an automatic. It can be towed using a drive shaft disconnect. I have towed a 2001 SR5 with a disconnect for about 10 thousand miles and no problems.

I had a disconnect on my S10 pickup, hated it. wouldn't recommend one but since the OP already has the toad, might have to deal with one.
bumpy

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2lazy4U wrote:
Could you tow it on a dolly?

Only if it was front wheel drive...which it isn't! On a dolly, the drive wheels (rear) would still be on the ground. Of course, if it is 2wd (do they even make them?), I guess you could put it on the dolly backwards! :E

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

cudntherd
Explorer
Explorer
If your 4Runner is rear wheel (2 wheel drive)with an automatic. It can be towed using a drive shaft disconnect. I have towed a 2001 SR5 with a disconnect for about 10 thousand miles and no problems.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
The Toyota manual usually spells it out for you, one page is dedicated to it.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Could you tow it on a dolly?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remco has transmission lube pump kits for various Toyota models, including 4Runners that enable four down towing. The kits are transmission type specific though, so make sure you have the correct transmission before ordering.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

polly_sue
Explorer
Explorer
2lazy4U wrote:
It's always been my understanding that you can't tow Toyotas because you can't disconnect the differential. You could try Googling it.

That was true for my 4Runner, which is a 2003 Limited.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
It's always been my understanding that you can't tow Toyotas because you can't disconnect the differential. You could try Googling it.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it standard or auto?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used our 86 Toyota SR5 4x4 5-speed pickup for several years. So if your 4-runner is the same configuration, the answer would be yes.

As mentioned....give us some more info...

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what does the owner's manual say about recreational towing or towing behind a motorhome?
that is the only valid reference.
and are you talking stick shift or automatic?
bumpy

polly_sue
Explorer
Explorer
Not mine, which is always in 4 wheel (as opposed to all-wheel) drive, and but maybe a newer one. The current Motorhome Magazine probably has its annual towing guide.