cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyota 4Runner Towing V8 ... Larger trailers. Capable??

asamson2
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have experience towing a larger trailer with a 4runner? I am currently sale pending ($1k down non-refund. so far) on the trailer listed below, although now second guessing the dealer. I am having weight-distributing hitch and brake controller installed. Will look into hensley/anti-sway. I move every 3-6 months for travel assignments, so wanted something larger to full-time living.

2006 Toyota 4Runner V8

2005 Keystone RV Springdale 266 RL
Originally the RV dealer lead me to believe the length was 26ft, although I believe it is 28ft.
DRY weight: 5950lbs although NADA says 5480lbs
Ext. Length 28โ€™ 11โ€
Ext. Width 8โ€™
Ext. Height 10โ€™ 11โ€
Int. Height 6โ€™ 10โ€
Freshwater Cap 60 gal
Black-/Gray-water Cap 34 gal/34 gal
LP-Gas Cap 14 gal
Hitch Weight 770 lb
GVWR 7,700 lb

Any experiences towing larger trailers with V8 4runner appreciated!! I hope this is doable with all the safety options possible and safe driving!!
7 REPLIES 7

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
From someone who has pulled with a 4Runner before: tranny cooler needed. You should use a Hensley. Pull as little as possible and save for a better TV.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Too much hitch weight. Too much wind resistance (width and height). Too long.

Option 1: bail out, lose a grand. (A good, fair-minded dealer would refund it. If they won't, then IMO you do not want to buy anything from them and $1000 is the price of wisdom.)
Option 2: negotiate for a different trailer, but now they have you by the cojones and can really make money from you.
Option 3: trade the SUV for a pickup to get more wheelbase, more GVWR, higher hitch rating, and greater safety.

By the way, I have a 2008 Lexus GX460... basically the same vehicle but more fluff. No way would I want to tow more than 5K lbs, 70 sq ft frontal area, and 23'-24' length.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

asamson2
Explorer
Explorer
Well apparently the trailer is purchased with no "cooling off period" and stating they do not have to verify even the actual weight/length of trailer, despite whether it would be appropriate for your toe vehicle. I think they got the best of...I believed them to be a reputable company. If the contract is signed is it a done deal?!? I do not yet have possession of the rv and was suppose to go back for financing. I emailed stating I did not feel confident in the safety of the towing capacity and would like to look at some other options if possible. Would it be reasonable that if I still purchase an RV from them that they can cancel that contract for a new one?!!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
First of all, make sure your 4Runner, as equipped, is rated to tow that amount of weight. The dry weight stated on the trailer label should be considered the correct weight. More importantly, make sure you don't exceed the GVWR of the trailer. After putting your personal gear in the trailer, take it to a CAT scale and get your total weight and hitch weight.

Make sure you are getting a good WD hitch with antisway. The Equalizer is a good choice as well as the Reese dual cam or the Blue Ox SwayPro. If looking at Hensley/ProPride, compare the weights of the hitches as you may not want a heavier hitch (I had a Hensley and it is a great hitch). Make sure all the suspension components of your 4Runner are it top condition i.e. replace any shocks and/or struts if needed. Make sure you have good LT tires on the 4Runner. You don't want to be towing with a tires rated for cars (I made that mistake with my Tundra and once I put LT tires on, the difference was noticeable). I don't think it will be the greatest towing combination due to the length of the trailer, but since you are only towing it to get from one job location to the next, you may be able to get by.

When you do have to tow, avoid high winds and keep your speed at 60mph or lower.

And, after all is said and done, you may find that the towing performance is below par and you could be in the position of deciding on whether to get a better tow vehicle or smaller/lighter trailer.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who tows with a 2006 4 Runner, albeit a V6, not a V8, we wouldn't consider towing that big a trailer with our truck. Our Lance 1685 is 3800 dry weight, just under 5000 loaded. With the WDH & brake controller (and factory tow package), it pulls our smaller trailer just fine. But we wouldn't be comfortable towing a trailer almost 6000 lbs dry - meaning likely 7000 lbs loaded, maybe more for full-timing.
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good advice from poster above! That trailer, loaded for full time living, will likely be too much for the 4Runner. It may work for the short term, with proper accessories, but a TV upgrade should be considered.

Jerry

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the '06 is rated to tow 5000-7300 lbs, depending on how it's configured. You'd need to know which yours is.

Issues you'll likely encounter:
1. After loading, that trailer will be right at, or over, the upper range of the 4runner.
2. The 4runner has a short wheelbase, and relatively high center of gravity. You'd need a really good hitch to tow a trailer of that length (Hensley, ProPride).
3. Take a look at the sticker on the driver's door pillar of the 4runner to see what the capacities are for the vehicle payload. A trailer of that size and weight will have a tongue weight of something like 750-900 lbs. How much total payload does that leave you? What else are you planning to put into or on the 4runner (people, pets, stuff), and how much does it weigh?
4. Take a look at the sticker on the 4runner's receiver - can it handle that TW?
5. Consider that you're looking at doing this with a 10 year old vehicle, and consider how well that vehicle has been maintained and the condition it's in. (Could be great, could be iffy. Include things like: When repaired (if it needed any) were Toyota parts used, or aftermarket parts? Were they critical items?)

In modern cars, the engine is rarely the limiting factor.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500