cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS saves the day!

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
I was towing my rig north bound on I-75, just north of Macon, GA when I heard that dreaded "beeping" sound. I looked at my Pressure Pro TPMS and it showed low air in the left front trailer tire. I put on my flashers and pulled over before it went totally flat, saving the tire and avoiding damage to the trailer. After putting out my safety cones, I got to work. Fortunately I travel with a cordless impact wrench, so I had the tire changed and was back on my way in 15 minutes. I couldn't get very far off the "fog line" because of the narrow shoulder, but the flashers and cones helped to move most of the drivers over a lane and give me a little breathing room. The only close call came from another RV'er who apparently doesn't under stand the concept of giving a disabled vehicle a little breathing room. By the way, there was nothing wrong with the tire (Maxis), the valve stem failed.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer
15 REPLIES 15

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
I have a TPMS also but have yet to find a metal valve stem set up that will fit my rims. The recessed hole on the outside of the rim is too small for the nut on the valve stem. The only option was the high pressure rubber coated brass stems.

I was able to find a metal valve stem that fit my stock 2005 Chevy wheels. A local independent tire store got them for me. I stopped by the other day to see if they had a part number for the stems. But unfortunately they have gone out of business.

But here is some at Summit that may work.

Summit Steel Valve Stems

Here is a picture of the ones I have.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TPMS also but have yet to find a metal valve stem set up that will fit my rims. The recessed hole on the outside of the rim is too small for the nut on the valve stem. The only option was the high pressure rubber coated brass stems.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
I will give Pressure Pro a call on Monday and inquire about the use of steel valve stems.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Miles Away wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
I have pressure pro also. When I first got them almost ten years ago, I had a tire failure due to rubber stems. I feel the pressure pro's weight caused the problem. I have sense put on steel stems and haven't had the same problem again. It was funny I thought how I had bought these in a effort to prevent exactly what happened to me.

"PressurePro recommends the use of metal valve stems in conjunction with PressurePro Sensors. "

From page 10 of my Pressure Pro manual.

You state you had a tire failure. No low pressure warning? or did the sensor separate from the wheel when the valve stem failed.

Before I heeded the recommendation I had a rubber covered brass valve stem leak which gave a low pressure warning before I had tire damage.

I also have the rubber coated brass valve stems, and I think the weight of the sensor may have contributed to the failure. The valve stem did not come out, it just started leaking around where it seats against the wheel. The Pressure Pro immediately alerted me to the issue and I was able to get off the road before the tire went completely flat. There is still air in the tire (15 psi), but when you wiggle the valve stem you can hear air leaking around where it seats. I will be swapping them all out for the steel valve stems.

If I could dig up the original manual I could check on whether or not at that time they said to use steel stems. This was a long time ago. When mine came it took the whole stem off. Not surprising as they where long rubber stems. I was never alerted at all. Probably because it came off and was far gone from the truck in a split second.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I used steel stems when I had them on a TT. Had one leaker, but it was at the seal where the sensor met the stem.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
I have pressure pro also. When I first got them almost ten years ago, I had a tire failure due to rubber stems. I feel the pressure pro's weight caused the problem. I have sense put on steel stems and haven't had the same problem again. It was funny I thought how I had bought these in a effort to prevent exactly what happened to me.

"PressurePro recommends the use of metal valve stems in conjunction with PressurePro Sensors. "

You state you had a tire failure. No low pressure warning? or did the sensor separate from the wheel when the valve stem failed.

Before I heeded the recommendation I had a rubber covered brass valve stem leak which gave a low pressure warning before I had tire damage.

I also have the rubber coated brass valve stems, and I think the weight of the sensor may have contributed to the failure. The valve stem did not come out, it just started leaking around where it seats against the wheel. The Pressure Pro immediately alerted me to the issue and I was able to get off the road before the tire went completely flat. There is still air in the tire (15 psi), but when you wiggle the valve stem you can hear air leaking around where it seats. I will be swapping them all out for the steel valve stems.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to hitting the road in our first used fiver I ordered and installed my TPMS.

When we took delivery of our current fiver it didn't leave the dealer's lot until the Goodyear G614's were installed and I had my TPMS screwed on and set up.

My goal in life is never to have a flat on my RV. I know they all can't be prevented but so far so good.

TPMS are worth every penny!!!!!!!!
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I do believe its the law to move over to the left for a disabled vehicle, or it should be.

Watch the big rigs they all do.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Miles Away wrote:
Ductape wrote:
Rubber valve stems?

BRASS

In what way did the valve stem fail?

Were they the OEM valve stems that GM uses?

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
It's nice to hear some good news about a TPMS! Glad the situation turned out okay for you.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Rubber valve stems?

BRASS

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber valve stems?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...